T Nation

Metabolic Drive Choc - Different?

I just recieved my Milk Chocolate low carb Metabolic Drive (which was out of stock for a while). This doesn’t taste the same to me, nor does it seem to have the “creaminess” it normally would have. Anyone else notice a difference, or just me? ?

I usually have a late night snack where I just add a bit of water to some low carb Metabolic Drive, and make sort of a pudding/cake batter mixture. The batch I just opened is so thin, it won’t mix up the same. Did I miss a change in the formula??

How’s the after taste ?

I noticed a slight difference, but prefer the current product.

Yep, I noticed the exact same thing with the newest batch of Vanilla. It is not as thick. I used to mix it up with cottage cheese and peanut butter, but now it is just to thin. It turns into a soupy mix and not the old thick/pudding-like texture. It still works great for shakes, but the days of making puddings with it seem to be over.

[quote]brand wrote:
Yep, I noticed the exact same thing with the newest batch of Vanilla. It is not as thick. I used to mix it up with cottage cheese and peanut butter, but now it is just to thin. It turns into a soupy mix and not the old thick/pudding-like texture. It still works great for shakes, but the days of making puddings with it seem to be over. [/quote]

Just use slightly less water.

I prefer the new stuff for this reason. I can consume more calories and protein without getting filled up.

[quote]Kong wrote:
Anyone else notice a difference, or just me?
Did I miss a change in the formula?[/quote]

Yes. I mentioned this in another thread. They changed the protein sources in the new MD. Instead of Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Casein and milk protein isolate, it’s now whey protein isolate, micellar casein and milk protein concentrate. Having personally ordered individual proteins in the past, it appears the new Metabolic Drive has a fairly large percentage of milk protein concentrate. I make that assumption based on the thinness AND taste/texture difference.

It is different, I like the old chocolate better.

Ya same here, the choc has a bad after taste now.

Why the change? It kills the taste. Same with vinilla.

If it is less creamy, there must not be as much casein as there was in the original.

Casein is more expensive, also. Keep that in mind.

I actually like the taste of the vanilla better now. It also mixes up easily with a spoon. It is not nearly as thick, but I wouldn’t say it isn’t as “creamy”.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
brand wrote:
Yep, I noticed the exact same thing with the newest batch of Vanilla. It is not as thick. I used to mix it up with cottage cheese and peanut butter, but now it is just to thin. It turns into a soupy mix and not the old thick/pudding-like texture. It still works great for shakes, but the days of making puddings with it seem to be over.

Just use slightly less water.

I prefer the new stuff for this reason. I can consume more calories and protein without getting filled up.[/quote]

When I mix it with cottage cheese I don’t use any water at all. It turns out soupy now, and before it did not. I do prefer the new stuff for shakes. It mixes up a lot easier. I suppose it is a bit of tradeoff: better for shakes, but not for mixing with certain food items.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
If it is less creamy, there must not be as much casein as there was in the original.

Casein is more expensive, also. Keep that in mind.[/quote]

The micellar casein content has not changed.

The creaminess has more to do with the flavoring system than the proteins used.

[quote]greatgro wrote:
Having personally ordered individual proteins in the past, it appears the new Metabolic Drive has a fairly large percentage of milk protein concentrate. I make that assumption based on the thinness AND taste/texture difference.
[/quote]

This is not correct. Over 95% of the protein in Metabolic Drive come from micellar casein and whey protein isolate.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
The micellar casein content has not changed.

The creaminess has more to do with the flavoring system than the proteins used.[/quote]

Why has the flavoring changed?

If something isn’t broke, why fix it?

I’m confused…

I know that 100% casein = very creamy and 100% isolate = water-like.

I know that casein can be close to twice as much as the cost of whey protein isolate. Since whey protein isolate is a very vague description of what type of isolate it is (cold filtration, ion exchange, etc), the price can vary.

I noticed a difference too. It’s less thick/creamy, but I still like the taste. It’s been months (at least it feels like months) since I had the old chocolate flavor, so I can’t really offer a complete comparison, but I like the new flavor fine.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
If something isn’t broke, why fix it?[/quote]

If Tim and TC had this attitude, our products would not have changed since the late 1990s.

Biotest is all about innovation. Tim and TC are constantly working to improve our existing products and develop highly effective new ones. I can’t think of a single product that we’ve released that has been on the market long without undergoing improvements. It would be easier and less costly to just keep everything as is, but that’s not the way they think. They really want to make the absolute best supplements possible.

In the case of Metabolic Drive Low-Carb Protein Shake, they found a source of even higher quality proteins. In addition to this, I believe they wanted decrease the thickness and tweak the flavoring. I’m very happy they did this.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
If Tim and TC had this attitude, our products would not have changed since the late 1990s.

Biotest is all about innovation. Tim and TC are constantly working to improve our existing products and develop highly effective new ones.

I can’t think of a single product that we’ve released that has been on the market long without undergoing improvements. It would be easier and less costly to just keep everything as is, but that’s not the way they think. They really want to make the absolute best supplements possible.

In the case of Metabolic Drive Low-Carb Protein Shake, they found a source of even higher quality proteins. In addition to this, I believe they wanted decrease the thickness and tweak the flavoring. I’m very happy they did this.[/quote]

Well, it looks like a lot of people like the other stuff better.

I’m not trying to start a fight or anything, but I don’t see how flavoring can cause a protein to go from creamy to water-like.

If one buys 100% casein with no flavoring, its going to be thick. Unless someone can explain to me how flavoring can make a thicker protein turn into a water-like protein.

BTW, how much whey isolate is there compared to casein. Just curious.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
I’m not trying to start a fight or anything, but I don’t see how flavoring can cause a protein to go from creamy to water-like.

If one buys 100% casein with no flavoring, its going to be thick. Unless someone can explain to me how flavoring can make a thicker protein turn into a water-like protein. [/quote]

We can pretty much make our products as thick as pudding or thin as water irrespective of the protein used.

There’s a lot more that goes into making Metabolic Drive than mixing various protiens with generic flavors. We’re not going to give away all of our secrets, though:)

Personally, I like the old stuff a lot better, esp for mixing into a pudding, where it loses its creamyness and now becomes more of a slime.

Caesin might not have a direct correlation to thickness, in the amount you make it out to be. I believe Carageenan is one of the thickening agents which gives it the mouth feel and texture similar to puddings. Alter the content and you can have a much thicker/thinner shake.