Metabolic Conditioning Removed from Nautilus Principles?

There is some association between LV hypertrophy and heavy resistance training. But the risk of this is probably overstated for people doing modest amounts of HIT training or recreational weight lifting. If you are a world class olympic lifter or powerlifter, and are using steriods, it is more likely to occur.

As for the significance to your health, here is a quote from the Mayo Clinic:

Intense, prolonged endurance and strength training can cause the heart to adapt to handle the extra workload. It’s unclear whether this athletic type of left ventricle hypertrophy can lead to stiffening of the heart muscle and disease.

1 Like

Which Athlete’s heart? A strength or endurance athlete?

Yes!

That is why endurance athletes train that way!

SAID principal at work!

I remember learning early on when a bunch of us were at the gym doing bench presses that I looked stronger than most but most of the guys could out bench me by 50 pounds. After that I focused on building size over strength . I knew I’d never shine in the strength department .
Scott

References would be appreciated. I’ve seen lots of studies that discuss structural changes as the result of strength training. But evidence of decreased function in response to those structural changes is not something I’ve seen.

I also recall reading that the kind of structural changes produced by high volume endurance training is associated with increased frequency of (dangerous) atrial fibrillation. Let’s hope that someone doesn’t call you out for encouraging the overuse of dangerous training methods…

Bring your boy Drew on!

Better yet-Doug!

FYI - do you - as regards references

Whatever references I quote are disregarded by HiT aficionados!

I think we are in a rinse and repeat cycle , haven’t we heard this exact same discussion on here at least once or twice before?
The interesting thing is I’ve known all forms of athletes from power lifters , HITers etc to 100 mile mountain marathoners , hikers , swimmers , runners etc over my many years and what is surprising is how many of these people who I’d never dream of dying from a heart attack do suddenly just die from heart attacks . A friend who was a hike leader who regularly led long hikes up the Appalachian trail etc recently just keeled over from a heart attack . I figured he’d live forever ! It seems that whatever cult of exercise you follow it’s not going to protect you from heart attacks.

Just cite the references buddy. Show us the negative impact on heart function from resistance training. Don’t cop out by saying that we automatically disregard it. Doug and Drew are not even relevant in this conversation dude

1 Like

I prefer the freight train huffing and puffing, feels like I am getting a good workout in

1 Like

Yes!
For way too many times, HiT claims the need for cardio is unwarranted. However, facts and logic supporting such rumors are always abscent.

I am not your buddy or a dude! There are plenty of references out there, even some who support anti-cardio!

There it is again. Look for yourself. Same broken record, dood.

1 Like

Something vexes thee?

Mayo Clinic says inconclusive, but, being in Pharma, you MUST know better? C’mon, dood. Be a bud and just admit you are being a dick just to be a dick.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with cardio, I just find it ridiculous that resistance training would be bad for your heart.

== Scott==
It may not be bad for the heart but it’s definitely bad for the brain! Full grown men ( me included) not out doing something on this beautiful Sunday afternoon but instead sitting on the computer arguing about HIT! Ha ha !
Actually I just went Kayaking for two hours but as soon as I got back I was back on here! Getting closer to being brain dead all the time!
Scott

Yeah. My cardiologist agrees.

I do have thickening of the myocardium and LV wall/heart failure and who knows what else, but my Docs recommendations are to keep lifting, cardio, what ever just keep moving.

He kinda hand waved away the athletes heart thing as insignificant at best in light of everything else, and generally not something to worry about anyways.

I’ve read that piece from Mayo, another from Harvard, and a few others as it has become a bit of a pet subject, but ill look for some citations later too for @atp_4_me .

What vexxes is you do the same thing every conversation you get involved in. And its run its course

Thats his modus operandi

I believe it is the case that you can have a large and powerful heart, one that is capable of pumping lots of oxygenated blood, high VO2max, a truly high performance heart and… still die of a heart attack. It’s not because your heart lacks the ability to pump a lot of blood, it is because the coronary arteries, short and relatively small arteries that redirect a portion of the heart’s output back to the heart itself become blocked. The great distance runner Alberto Salazar was still running 25 to 30 miles a week (he was 48, retired from competition and coaching) when he nearly died of a massive heart attack.

1 Like