Metabolic Challenge: Best Replacements for Leg Machines?

I know there are a few exercises like leg press, curls, extensions. There is no way to move quickly between at my gym. Is there a suitable replacement exercise for these that can be done with body or free weights?

Try dumbbell squats, sissy squats, and Jefferson deadlift squats.

Appreciate the reply. Excited to try something new.

I have related questions if especially Dr Darden, or anyone else might know the answer. What body weight or barbell/dumbbell, and what machine compound leg exercises, are safest for the knees and lower back? Body weight sissy squat and some Nautilus leg press version maybe? Any and all squats seem much harder on my knees than sissy squats, which I can’t get my head around, and leg extensions very easy on my knees which does make sense. Thanks.

One suggestion: Swiss ball Wall Squat with Dumbbellsimage

Thank you that really looks like a good candidate without having tried it. I will get a swiss ball and try it as soon as my leg heals.

I’m thinking the swiss ball would activate the stabilizing function of the spinal erectors and glutes, and leaning back at that angle would be kind on the knees.

Hope that helps. Don’t know your knee issue, but mine is knee moving foward over the toe. Keeping the knee directly over the ankle when using a Squat machine or a good, quality leg press allows me to squat pain free. Leg Extensions do not bother my knees either.

Yes that was my understanding also of how to do squats without risk to the knees. It may be that my squat form is faulty. I think I am keeping my knees back, but in reality maybe the bad leverage of my short legs and long torso are making that more difficult than I thought. I guess I need to film myself and watch the video.

Since I just ordered two sizes of chains, I’m also thinking I could try chains instead of dumbbells, which would change the strength curve a little in favor of less weight on the stretched position that is most risky to the knees, the reason leg extensions are easy on the knees as I understand it.

Also a very good candidate for slower rep tempos. Allows you to maintain a vertical - neutral spine. Easier on the knees and the lower back.

Definitely. It was 30-10-30 vest squats that injured my one knee and groin, and now that you point it out I did the reps at a faster pace than I usually do for squats. Recipe for bad form since I accidentally used way too much weight. I should have given up after the first 30 second negative.

I second swiss ball wall squats with dumbbells.

I workout at home with very limited equipment, but if set up is correct this exercuse is very challanging for quads when done in 30-10-30 fashion, and my lower back feels great.
Try it.
:slight_smile:

So I was able to fill in the blanks except for one. A body weight or dumbbell replacement for machine leg curls.

I thought I had seen a simple replacement for leg curls, but can’t find it. I do see there are a huge number of alternatives presented in t-nation articles. Put this in the google search bar:

site:t-nation.com “leg curls”

Here is the one I was thinking of, found it in my notes:

I have done these and they do work well if you can hold the dumbbell with your feet. The first example may be the better angle.

1 Like

I have a nice leveraged-based leg press, but I still incorporate one-legged squats using a dumbbell; I train one leg at a time while holding onto something for support. It’s a very effective lower body exercise that is safe on the lower back.

heavyhitter32
Since I have a bad back, from regular squats and dead lifts,I only use the hand assisted dumbbell split squat. My question is regarding your leverage leg press. Does that bother your back? Have you tried single leg presses with it.?

I’ve almost always had lower back issues from any kind of back squat (with weight on shoulders).

I have zero issues with the leveraged leg press. The key is though, making sure your rear stays on the seat and only lowering to where the knee cap is at a 90 degree angle (at least on this particular machine as I took video with myself on it to get feedback from a physical therapist). In other words, don’t curl your lower trunk off the seat from lowering your knees too low. I typically stay in the 10-15 rep range for a straight set shy of failure.

Leg curls on a Swiss ball can be brutal. I know it’s hard to imagine (especially if its a big pink one) but trust me, they work. Check out Paul Carter’s video on this site.

I personally go for Nordic curls, using a strength band for assistance. These are a great exercise for negatives, too.

For higher rep work, bands can be used again: either seated on a bench/chair with the band secured in front and pulling your feet inwards, or lying face down with the band behind you and pulling your feet towards your butt.

heavyhitter32
What works your thighs better, leg press or split squat?

I don’t have access to the leg press. For quads, I pre exhaust with leg extensions then do belt squats.

1 Like