Met Franco Columbo Today

My Massage therapist recommeded two chiropracters to get my neck and back adjusted (the neck needed a serious adjustment). My choices:

1. Some Guy I have never heard off
  2. Champion Bodybuilder Franco Columbo

I went with option #2. Franco is a really cool guy and very precise with spine and neck adjustments. My neck feels 100% better. The guy is still built like a mack truck. I picked up his book while I was there and will report back on it after I read it this weekend.

Mike Mahler

Hey Mike,

Try to give us a live update or two from Vegas.

Incidentally, I met JL Holdsworth on Monday. He is a very cool guy. Gave me some great lifting tips.

Very cool meeting Columbo.

Wow! You met Franco? Awesome. I hope you said something cool :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, what was cool was the fact that Franco was impressed with my size and strength. I gave him a copy of my KB manual and he thought it was cool (I gave him the Japanese version which is way higher quality). In return he was nice enough to give me some free copies of his books. Good stuff.

Mike Mahler

Franco has always been my idol for back development.

Next time you see him ask him what he and Arnold did special to fill out their lower lats.

In fact, did he leave an email address or anything for you to get in contact with him?
I’ll ask him myself.

F*cking guy looks like he’s wearing a Cobra hood.

Looking at the Columbo photo and can’t agree with you more. His back is incredible!

Many of you already know that Columbo was a boxer as well, prior to coming to this country. He was also adept at Soccer and many other sports.

I would like to see some of these bloated looking artificial “bodybuilders” of today make such claims. Most look like they can’t even run around the block without having a heart attack.

[quote]Limbic wrote:
Next time you see him ask him what he and Arnold did special to fill out their lower lats.[/quote]

I bet they lifted weights! Yeah, that’s it!

Muscle insertions are genetic. Arnold and Franco had good ones, lifted weights and took steroids. How do you think they “filled in” their “lower” lats? Bondo?

Franco at his best was deadlifting over 4 times his bodyweight.

[quote]Dave2 wrote:
Limbic wrote:
Next time you see him ask him what he and Arnold did special to fill out their lower lats.

I bet they lifted weights! Yeah, that’s it!

Muscle insertions are genetic. Arnold and Franco had good ones, lifted weights and took steroids. How do you think they “filled in” their “lower” lats? Bondo?

[/quote]

I am not sure what you are getting at with the insertion statement but I am pretty certain muscles insert and originate at the same spots on everybody. As far as the lats go on some people (not many) I believe there may be an attachment on the inferior angle of the scapula as well. Some books have it listed.

About insertions; just as two people of identical heights may have femur bones, spines and lower leg bones of varying heights, so to can muscles insert at slightly different points. If you look at the mechanical disadvantage most muscles operate with, these small variations can have a large impact on performance as well as asthetics.

How accurate this description is I don’t know, as the difference may be attributed to difference in the length of tendons and connective tissue, but the idea remains the same, some people have tendinous muscles with shallow muscle bellows, and some people have short tendons with long, full muscle bellys.

While the muscle or tendon may be longer the insertion is still the same. Enough about that, this isn’t an anatomy thread. It is about Mike meeting Columbo. Sorry for the hijack Mike.