MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

In the spirit of love and peace, I would like to wish my liberal friends a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. In particular, I hope that hspder, pox, harris, deansumo, ILOVEGEORGEWBUSH1 (rsu), fahd, and littleirish have a wonderful Christmas season.

In the spirit of giving, I would like to post an article discussing how the previous President used purely domestic warantless searches.

From the Washington Times:

“Previous administrations, as well as the court that oversees national security cases, agreed with President Bush’s position that a president legally may authorize searches without warrants in pursuit of foreign intelligence.
“The Department of Justice believes – and the case law supports – that the president has inherent authority to conduct warrantless physical searches for foreign intelligence purposes and that the president may, as he has done, delegate this authority to the attorney general,” Clinton Deputy Attorney General Jamie S. Gorelick said in 1994 testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
That same authority, she added, pertains to electronic surveillance such as wiretaps.
More recently, the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court – the secretive judicial system that handles classified intelligence cases – wrote in a declassified opinion that the court has long held “that the President did have inherent authority to conduct warrantless searches to obtain foreign intelligence information.”
Such warrantless searches have been at the center of a political fight in Washington after the New York Times reported Friday that the Bush administration had a program to intercept communications between al Qaeda suspects and persons in this country, a story whose publication coincided with the congressional debate over reauthorizing the USA Patriot Act.
In a 2002 opinion about the constitutionality of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) and the USA Patriot Act, the court wrote: “We take for granted that the President does have that authority and, assuming that is so, FISA could not encroach on the President’s constitutional power.”
Indeed, previous administrations have used that same authority.
One of the most famous examples of warrantless searches in recent years was the investigation of CIA official Aldrich H. Ames, who ultimately pleaded guilty to spying for the former Soviet Union. That case was largely built upon secret searches of Ames’ home and office in 1993, conducted without federal warrants.
In 1994, President Clinton expanded the use of warrantless searches to entirely domestic situations with no foreign intelligence value whatsoever. In a radio address promoting a crime-fighting bill, Mr. Clinton discussed a new policy to conduct warrantless searches in highly violent public housing projects.
Previous administrations also asserted the authority of the president to conduct searches in the interest of national security.
In 1978, for instance, Attorney General Griffin B. Bell testified before a federal judge about warrantless searches he and President Carter had authorized against two men suspected of spying on behalf of the Vietnam government.
That same year, Congress approved and Mr. Carter signed FISA, which created the secret court and required federal agents to get approval to conduct electronic surveillance in most foreign intelligence cases.
A Washington Post report at the time said the new FISA law permits “the government (primarily NSA with the occasional help of an FBI ‘black bag job’ or break-in) to continue electronic spying without a court order if it is directed solely at the premises or communications of ‘official’ powers, such as governments, factions or entities openly known to be directed and controlled by foreign governments.”
The year after FISA became law, a columnist in The Washington Post described what could still happen to any person or group determined to be “an agent of a foreign power.”
“Once the attorney general has made that finding about someone, then the FBI can spy on them or burglarize their offices,” wrote William Greider in a May 1979 column.
The Bush administration and Republicans on Capitol Hill say terrorist cells in this country are precisely what those FISA loopholes were intended for, even if they don’t represent a traditional enemy state.
“Following the 9/11 attacks, it was obvious that al Qaeda utilized high-tech communication systems and modified its communication methods to avoid surveillance,” Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican, said.
Mr. Cornyn and other Republicans have agreed with Democrats that hearings are necessary to learn more about Mr. Bush’s domestic spy policy. There remains disagreement, however, over whether those hearings should be open to the public.
One area certain to be discussed in any hearings would be the use of warrantless searches in previous administrations.
In an interview yesterday, Miss Gorelick acknowledged her testimony before Congress but said it pertained to presidential authority prior to 1994, when Congress expanded FISA laws. Left unanswered, she said, is whether that congressional action trumped the president’s “inherent authority.”
“The Clinton administration did not take a position on that,” she said.”

I know it’s long, but I hope my friends take the time to read it and digest the information.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

JeffR

My Greeting:

For Our Democratic Friends:

“Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. And without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee. By accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.”

For Our Republican Friends:

“Here’s wishing all of You a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year”

Merry Saturnalia!

Read below if you want to know he true origins of Christmas:

Happy Holidays!

(I hope to get flamed by the right wingnuttery because its fun!!!)

Wanted to make sure I didn’t leave out my Conservative friends.

A special Merry Christmas to: Thunder, BB, RJ, Lothario, Derek, Hedo, JPBear, and Sasquatch.

In keeping with the spirit, I cannot forget the nut-cases and so-called “independents”. Merry Christmas to: jlesk, reckless, orion, and marmadogg.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
In the spirit of love and peace, I would like to wish my liberal friends a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. In particular, I hope that hspder, pox, harris, deansumo, ILOVEGEORGEWBUSH1 (rsu), fahd, and littleirish have a wonderful Christmas season.[/quote]

Hey, what about me? Send back those pretty red, white and blue Pom-Poms I sent you for Christmas, you insensitive prick.

[quote] Wanted to make sure I didn’t leave out my Conservative friends.

A special Merry Christmas to: Thunder, BB, RJ, Lothario, Derek, Hedo, JPBear, and Sasquatch. [/quote]

What about “ZEBbie the Pinhead”? Is he so easily forgotten? He goes off to OT to save the world from homos getting married and you forget all about him? Typical conservative mentality.

Merry Christmas to you too anyway. Hope Santa makes it to your trailer park tonight.

“LittleIrish”?

The fuck’s that supposed to mean? Jab at my height? That’s kind of humourous coming from you, being as I’m still trying to figure out whether you actually weightlift at all.

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Wanted to make sure I didn’t leave out my Conservative friends.

A special Merry Christmas to: Thunder, BB, RJ, Lothario, Derek, Hedo, JPBear, and Sasquatch.

In keeping with the spirit, I cannot forget the nut-cases and so-called “independents”. Merry Christmas to: jlesk, reckless, orion, and marmadogg.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

JeffR[/quote]

Am I a nut-case or a so-called “independent” ?

Could live with both, just want to know…

WTF, merry christmas and a happy new year!

Merry Christmas…

Jeff’s a real hard-ass coming on here with all these cutesy nicknames. Unbelievable. Merry christmas to all. And oh yeah GO BUSH!!

This can be like the Christmas Truce of WWI.

Merry Christmas to all.

Of course the irony is, Jesus would be a bleeding heart, long haired, hippy liberal : )

Knew I was going to forget some of my pals.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ZEB!!!

Didn’t want to leave out my liberal pals mmg/mark!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

JeffR

Merry Christmas to everyone! Including the Anti-Christ himself, George Bush.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
“LittleIrish”?

The fuck’s that supposed to mean? Jab at my height? That’s kind of humourous coming from you, being as I’m still trying to figure out whether you actually weightlift at all.[/quote]

LOL

Merry Christmas JeffR!

What up Jeffers!

Hope you got lots of presents from Santa this year. I got a lump of coal and a urine specimen in my stocking… go figure.

PS Santa tested positive for cocaine and PCP… don’t tell anybody. :slight_smile: