Merry Christmas, Bob - Why

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
If none of you have ever gotten frustrated at some doucher who clearly has no intention of doing anything about being fat, ask you for assistance while making small talk, I’d be shocked. People ask me things but I rarely offer any advice aside from asking what they’re currently doing and then saying, “Oh yea… stick with that, it should work.”

Cause really I don’t care about them.

But the essay, while a bit hyperbolic, is really the kind of thing I’d like to say.[/quote]

Most of the people who make a comment about bodybuilding or muscle mass are just looking for shit to say. I understand that…because I get asked a lot. I mean, if you still care enough to go off on someone, you must not get it often. You can tell instantly whether the person making the comment is really trying to reach a goal or not.

My point is, yeah, I can understand not wanting someone to downplay the hard work I have put into the gym, but the reality is, MOST PEOPLE would never have it in them to work that hard and are just making conversation to make themselves feel better.

It’s the human condition. You see the same thing here with some lifters acting like being leaner than someone else alone somehow makes them better.

The average person speaking to you is doing so for their own sake. You sort of have to expect to get more of that shit when you stand out from 98% of the population on sight.[/quote]

That’s fine. All I am saying is that it does, and will always, make me roll my eyes and want to talk about something else.

I aggree with some of the points of the article but it does also come off as a little immature in the reaction.

Ok I get it most fat people that ask for advice on how to get in shape will not follow it its true. A man that is friends with my family came to me the other week and asked if I could help him out, hes 305lbs and is scared that he could get a heart attack, other men in his family have died early and they were all fat. I told him ok Ill come over on the weekend and teach you how to do things in the kitchen if you want to lose weight.

Saturday comes and there was this function I was supposed to go to, him as well and he wasnt there. Now my girlfriend knew I was going to help him and said how about you call him and see if he still wants you to come. I said no way, why should I chase him to help him potentially save his life? Im offering him help free of charge and he cant even be bothered to call so no he can call me.

He never called, I see him from time to time he doesnt even mention it, hes lost no weight and I see his fb msgs which are pictures on his wall all from huge all you can eat restaraunts more then once a week.

what im getting at is the majority of people are like bob and even though they know they should smarten up with their health, they wont because deep down theyd rather die loving their life eating everything in sight, than living eating things that are good for them.

However does that make me want to go rant to him? No because its obvious that would not solve anything.

And please who here works out because of guys like Bob? thats what the article was saying. Its just propogating this eliteist attitude that really has no place to be there.

Sigh

A cute little rant turns like this? You never met Bob and thought the same thing or similar?

double sigh

[quote]JFG wrote:
Sigh

A cute little rant turns like this? You never met Bob and thought the same thing or similar?

double sigh[/quote]

Dude, that article is like ten years old. Why would the current response still be as if it were written for the first time?

What my comment was focused on is the people who keep bumping it every year when I doubt that many of them are too far from Bob.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
If none of you have ever gotten frustrated at some doucher who clearly has no intention of doing anything about being fat, ask you for assistance while making small talk, I’d be shocked. People ask me things but I rarely offer any advice aside from asking what they’re currently doing and then saying, “Oh yea… stick with that, it should work.”

Cause really I don’t care about them.

But the essay, while a bit hyperbolic, is really the kind of thing I’d like to say.[/quote]

This. I cant tell you how many times I’ve been asked by co-workers to give them advice and they never take it. I started passing this article out to those people when I first read it a few years ago.

Yeah, you are right. Next year, we should crucify the bastard.

And thank you for letting me know that I am “not too far from Bob”.

Cheers and I hope you recover to 100% (I had metal in my body, so I truly mean that).

I didn’t say YOU are like Bob. I don’t even know you. You seem upset that the discussion dared not praise the article.

I mean, damn…this thread would be at the bottom of the page by now.

I dont hate fatties or those who dont lift weights.

I hate people who talk about truly wanting something yet at the same time doing nothing to go and get it. They deserve their mediocrity.

I also hate people who write unnecessarily long articles to get a simple point across.