T Nation

Meringue a Good Protein Source?

Meringue is a type of dessert made from whipped egg whites and powdered sugar. The mixture is beaten and then cooked.

The process its pretty simple, and the result is tasty. That’s why it got my attention. And my question is: are they a good source of protein since they are made from egg whites which contain Albumin? Is eating a portion of Meringue the same thing as eating a portion of egg whites, regardless, of course, the addition of powdered sugar?

*for those who dont know what meringue is type it on google images www.google.com

Hey guys, is carrot cake a good source of vitamine A?

Is this a trick question?

There’s nothing magical that happens when meringue is made, so have at it if the ingredients fit within your nutritional strategy.

Meringue is a foam so you’d have to eat a shit ton of it to get any protein. How about hmmmmm…maybe just eating eggs? Why would you eat calf slobber pie for protein?

Ye I know this but I want to know if it is really worth to eat big quantities of it and even substitute my egg whites meals with it

[quote]Player64 wrote:
Ye I know this but I want to know if it is really worth to eat big quantities of it and even substitute my egg whites meals with it[/quote]

:open_mouth:

I dont like the eggs taste and I want to know if it is Ok to substitute it by the meringues

[quote]Player64 wrote:
I dont like the eggs taste and I want to know if it is Ok to substitute it by the meringues[/quote]

If you don’t like the taste of eggs, replace it with meat, cheese, or some other whole protein that is a balance of fats and proteins. Meringue is a poor dietary choice. Simple refined sugar and not much protein.

[quote]Player64 wrote:
Cr Powerlinate wrote:
Player64 wrote:
Ye I know this but I want to know if it is really worth to eat big quantities of it and even substitute my egg whites meals with it

:open_mouth:

Fuck you It is just a simple question you fucker idiot, if you dont wanna answer it go fuck yourself get out of here.

Im a beginner not a troll[/quote]

Good response Player

like was mentioned, they wouldn’t be the best choice for gaining mass as you would have to eat a lot of them, but if you want to have a sweet snack, they aren’t bad.

Sugar isn’t really great, but you can use Stevia.

You can actually make them without sugar, or rather very little with some cream of tartar.

There is a gorgeous dessert called a Pavlova that could be a stunner for a dinner

===========================
PAVLOVA

Don’t be intimidated by making a pavlova. It’s actually quite straightforward, so long as you follow a few basic rules while making the meringue. Top this heavenly pavlova with fat-free whipped topping and fresh strawberries
Prep Time: 5 hours,

Cook Time: 1 hours,

Ingredients:

3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup superfine sugar (you can substitute Splenda or Stevia)
2 cups fat-free whipped topping (you can use pudding, sugar free or regular)
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Draw the outline of an upside down 8-9 inch plate on to the parchment.

Place egg whites in a spotlessly clean metal or glass bowl. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, then whisk with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks are formed. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed between each addition. Whisk until egg whites are stiff and glossy.

Spoon meringue mixture into a large mound on the outline you drew on the parchment. Keep the edges slightly higher than the center.

Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Switch off oven but leave meringue in oven to dry?about 2-3 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

When meringue is dry and cool, either use straight away, piling fat-free cool whip and sliced berries on top and serve, or store meringue base in an airtight container until ready to use.

Serves 6

Per Serving Calories 153, Calories from Fat 1, Total Fat 0.1g (sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 0mg, Carbohydrate 36g, Fiber 0.9g, Protein 2g

OctoberGirl,

Have you made just plain meringue cookies with egg whites and stevia/splenda?

All the asshat comments above notwithstanding, if you substitute for the sugar, it doesn’t seem like it would be a bad snack. Not much content to it, but not bad.

[quote]mrcold wrote:
OctoberGirl,

Have you made just plain meringue cookies with egg whites and stevia/splenda?

All the asshat comments above notwithstanding, if you substitute for the sugar, it doesn’t seem like it would be a bad snack. Not much content to it, but not bad.[/quote]

I have made it with Splenda and it doesn’t firm up quite as much as with sugar but it wasn’t that big of an issue for me.

It is a pretty good thing to bring to a work potluck if you want something you know isn’t too bad. I made them with some sugar free whole fruit preserves on them.

You can also add flavorings to them. I have made the Pavlova and that was a bit of work, I did just the whip cream and fresh fruit and it looked and tasted great. For that though, I used the real sugar.

I think drinks are easier, better tasting and quicker than preparing and eating the food, what I like to do is to mix in the blender some white cheese and cottage cheese with milk and protein sources. Can you give me some sugestions on what else could I add to my drinks and also tell me if this is a good option on not so much?

[quote]Player64 wrote:
I think drinks are easier, better tasting and quicker than preparing and eating the food, what I like to do is to mix in the blender some white cheese and cottage cheese with milk and protein sources. Can you give me some sugestions on what else could I add to my drinks and also tell me if this is a good option on not so much?[/quote]

You can add your egg whites, broccoli or spinach, lots of frozen berries or freeze some pineapple

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
It’s an eggwhite foam, packed with loads of sugar. You will be getting proportionately loads of carbs and only a little protein per serving.

OF COURSE it’s not an acceptable source of protein.

Half the protein is found in the egg yolk plus you need the yolk to help digest the protein.

On balance you would be best off forgetting this idea and finding something else, if you can’t stand the taste of say a boiled egg.

Sheesh, this question is like asking “Hey are mars bars an acceptible source of anti-oxidants, cos I hear that chocolate has some anti-ox in them and I don’t like the taste of bluberries”.

BBB[/quote]

Bushy is right that it isn’t good as a primary protein source and I hope I didn’t insinuate that with my posts.

I posted that it isn’t BAD, but it isn’t sufficient as a protein source.

So, remember what BushidoBadBoy said, this should not be a primary protein source,
but it is a lessor of the evils as a dessert choice.