Mercury in Tuna that unsafe?

Hey, I’m having a hard time finding studies that show eating Tuna on a regular basis is safe and will not give you mercury poisoning.

Everything I search seems to be some bunk study or some super health nut organization with no real facts.

I have a friend who is telling me that me eating 4-8 cans of chunk light Tuna a day is bad for me, and I need to flush my system. If anyone suggests to me that I flush my system using some method, I already have reason to believe it’s bullshit.

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote]Larfox wrote:
4-8 cans of chunk light Tuna a day
[/quote]

Ummm, that much? How bout getting some protein from something other than fish?

And for what it’s worth, Albacore is the most contaminated species of tuna, avoid it if you wish.

I eat a lot of chicken usually, but right now I am beyond broke. I just moved to Vegas, and I don’t have a job at the moment. My protein has only been coming from Metabolic Drive and tuna.

We talked about this in my ecology class randomly and apparently you would have to eat several cans a day for 10+ years for it to become a real issue.

Like Alexoby linked, most of that data for “safe” and “unsafe” was determined for pregnant women in regards to protecting the fetus.

Don’t sweat it in the short term, but you seriously need to consider switching up your protein. Shit, buy canned chicken.

I was having a tin a day until I read this article by Brian St-Pierre
http://brianstpierretraining.com/index.php/tuna-great-food-or-death-trap/

Then I ended turning it down to 3-4 tins per week.
However I prefer what Jonny Bowden and Waylander said. Looks like I’ll be returning to my previous ways.

3-4 can’s of “Light Tuna” per week seems to be the most reasonable course of action without getting to much mercury in your system. Try not to go overboard on the stuff.

Jonny Bowden has stated that the benefits of eating tuna outweigh the cons.

I understand that, but what I was looking for was studies that prove that.

Not that I’m saying he is wrong, in fact, I believe what he says. But you can’t just take someone’s word for it. Where is the evidence that shows it does? He doesn’t cite any. The the context of the sentence, he was stating his opinion.

http://www.mercuryfacts.org/mercuryMyths.cfm

I agree with Bowden. Fish offers way to much benefits.

Words of wisdom: You can tuna a piano, but you can’t tuna fish. Ok seriously, I’ve also haerd what Waylander said.

Fuck mercury poisoning, a quick tin of tuna and you’ve added a good 40g of protein.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Words of wisdom: You can tuna piano, but you can’t tuna fish.[/quote]

fixed it buzz killington

[quote]DeadRamones wrote:
http://www.mercuryfacts.org/mercuryMyths.cfm

[/quote]

Good read.

Well OP, there you have it.

I took an aquatic toxicology class and actually did a research paper on mercury contaminated water and it’s effects.

From my recollection (because i’m too lazy to find the actual paper), there is no significant danger to your average healthy individual. I know pregnant women should definitely be careful because birth defects have been proven due to increase mercury levels.

As someone else on here said, the levels of mercury in tuna is not that significant to harm you. Well not anytime soon :slight_smile:

Bowden suggests taking selenium for its chelating effect on mercury if you are concerned with mercury.

If you have his book 150 Healthiest Foods, it’s mentioned in there.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Bowden suggests taking selenium for its chelating effect on mercury if you are concerned with mercury.

[/quote]

Most Tuna already has your 60% daily value of selenium in it might that be why?

[quote]Jbrew wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Most Tuna already has your 60% daily value of selenium in it might that be why?

[/quote]

hot damn, awesomeness in a can.

I am liking the stuff now packed in olive oil. I crack the top, pour in the balsamic vinegar and done. Life is good and easy.