T Nation

MEPS

I’m heading to MEPS at some point within the next month or so (we haven’t set the specific date yet). I’ve been told that drug tests are part of the process.

I don’t use any kind of drugs, but my roommates smoke weed like cheech and chong.

Is there any chance that by being around them so often when they smoke that I could possibly test positive or am i worrying unnessecarily? Appreciate any help.

I don’t know that you have much to worry about, but you should definitely fuck with your room mates when they’re stoned out of their gourds.

Come in one day when you know they’re high (I’m guessing this is most the time) and pretend you just got tested and failed. Freak out yelling that the cops or feds are coming to your house to search it.

Then watch as your mates frantically try to remember where their secret stashes are hidden so they can save them.

I can imagine that scene right now and its hilarious.

You got no worries man. Unless you are inhaling their exhale to get a buzz. Now if you are getting high from being around them, worry. I dont know exactly how smoky the room gets, but second hand smoke normally will not do anything to you.

Most recruiters give you the cheap dipper-test before you do. They hate surprises.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
I don’t know that you have much to worry about, but you should definitely fuck with your room mates when they’re stoned out of their gourds.

Come in one day when you know they’re high (I’m guessing this is most the time) and pretend you just got tested and failed. Freak out yelling that the cops or feds are coming to your house to search it.

Then watch as your mates frantically try to remember where their secret stashes are hidden so they can save them.[/quote]

Fuck that, it’s retarded. Never joke about the cops.

OP, there is no way you have to be around your friends when they’re smoking. You could leave the room until they’re done at least. Nobody smokes ALL the time. The voices in my head are telling me there’s more to this story.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:

Then watch as your mates frantically try to remember where their secret stashes are hidden so they can save them.[/quote]

OP, there is no way you have to be around your friends when they’re smoking. You could leave the room until they’re done at least. Nobody smokes ALL the time. The voices in my head are telling me there’s more to this story.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:

Then watch as your mates frantically try to remember where their secret stashes are hidden so they can save them.

[/quote]

Well the voices in your head are wrong I don’t touch the stuff, I drink like an animal but I don’t smoke. And as far as the frequency with which they smoke…lets just say yesterday they did it 4 times and it was a slow day. I usually try to leave the room when they do it so I don’t accidentally get nailed when I head to MEPS.

[quote]njworkoutguy wrote:
Well the voices in your head are wrong I don’t touch the stuff, I drink like an animal but I don’t smoke. And as far as the frequency with which they smoke…lets just say yesterday they did it 4 times and it was a slow day. I usually try to leave the room when they do it so I don’t accidentally get nailed when I head to MEPS.
[/quote]

Here is an old story that might be relevant to your situation.

Back in 1990 I was an infantry platoon leader and had a young sergeant (E-5) as one of my team leaders. He was married with a couple of kids and was focused on making the Army his career. As a result, this young sergeant was one of my most dependable subordinate leaders.

One Monday after a three-day weekend our company was hit with a surprise “piss test” and this young sergeant was randomly selected to be one of the “participants”. His urine sample came back “hot” and the judicial proceedings began to remove him from the Army.

He and I sat down and talked about it and he swore he had not smoked any substance in years (high school) and was never around anyone who did except for a time two days prior to the urine test. The young sergeant said he went to a party with some other sergeants in the battalion. He had a couple of beers but felt a little tired so he laid down on a sofa in another room and took a short nap. He woke up about an hour later to the smell of marijuana smoke from a couple of guys in the room smoking joints. He did not recognize them so he got up and left the party to avoid being implicated in a drug bust if the Military Police showed up.

While he doubted short term exposure to second hand marijuana smoke could cause a “hot” piss test he had no other explanation. He even took and passed a “lie detector” test to prove he did not smoke marijuana.

In the end the “hot” piss test was the only evidence that could be considered by the battalion commander. The commander told me later that he believed the young sergeant’s story but was limited by the regulations.

Just before the young sergeant left the Army he told me his sin was in not being more selective in choosing his friends.

Don’t put yourself in a position where someone else’s illegal actions can adversely affect your career path. That is not always an easy thing to manage because of loyalty to friends and family but it is your life.

[quote]DM246 wrote:
njworkoutguy wrote:

Here is an old story that might be relevant to your situation.

Back in 1990 I was an infantry platoon leader and had a young sergeant (E-5) as one of my team leaders. He was married with a couple of kids and was focused on making the Army his career. As a result, this young sergeant was one of my most dependable subordinate leaders.

One Monday after a three-day weekend our company was hit with a surprise “piss test” and this young sergeant was randomly selected to be one of the “participants”. His urine sample came back “hot” and the judicial proceedings began to remove him from the Army.

He and I sat down and talked about it and he swore he had not smoked any substance in years (high school) and was never around anyone who did except for a time two days prior to the urine test. The young sergeant said he went to a party with some other sergeants in the battalion. He had a couple of beers but felt a little tired so he laid down on a sofa in another room and took a short nap. He woke up about an hour later to the smell of marijuana smoke from a couple of guys in the room smoking joints. He did not recognize them so he got up and left the party to avoid being implicated in a drug bust if the Military Police showed up.

While he doubted short term exposure to second hand marijuana smoke could cause a “hot” piss test he had no other explanation. He even took and passed a “lie detector” test to prove he did not smoke marijuana.

In the end the “hot” piss test was the only evidence that could be considered by the battalion commander. The commander told me later that he believed the young sergeant’s story but was limited by the regulations.

Just before the young sergeant left the Army he told me his sin was in not being more selective in choosing his friends.

Don’t put yourself in a position where someone else’s illegal actions can adversely affect your career path. That is not always an easy thing to manage because of loyalty to friends and family but it is your life. [/quote

Great advice. While I’m not about to completely ditch my friends because of their habit, I will be much more careful about WHEN I hang around with them to avoid exposing myself to that crap. Luckily with the weather getting nicer they’ll be doing it more outside and less at our place.

carter12 wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:

[/quote]

Great, another fat drunk in the Army. Just what we need, more reasons to stay away from war.

I’m not fat, and I’m not joining the Army. I love to drink as much as any other college guy, and I’m sure plenty of service members. When its time to PT I work my ass off. I’m a 21 year old guy who likes beer and wants to serve, whats your beef?

I’m not fat, and I’m not joining the Army. I love to drink as much as any other college guy, and I’m sure plenty of service members. When its time to PT I work my ass off. I’m a 21 year old guy who likes beer and wants to serve, whats your beef?[/quote]

My hat is off to you. While serving in the military is not universally popular right now you should never feel the need to apologize for answering the call to arms. Those of us who have served and been shot at in defense of this country will proudly welcome you into the “brotherhood”.

Youth and alcohol have been a common denominator in the military for many years. My young single Soldiers spent the majority of their money on alcohol and tunes every payday.

It was always humorous to enter a barracks room during inspections and see $500 worth of furniture covered with $10,000 worth of stereo equipment along with a refrigerator stocked with two cases of beer and a box of frozen burritos

Of course, when a visit to the “two-way” range becomes inevitable those same partying “kids” become serious “men” real quick. Feel free to raise an “adult” beverage to the memory of Chesty, Rogers’ Rangers or Bull Halsey as you see fit and know that you’ll never meet finer men than those who chew the same dirt with you in training and combat.

[quote]DM246 wrote:
njworkoutguy wrote:
I’m not fat, and I’m not joining the Army. I love to drink as much as any other college guy, and I’m sure plenty of service members. When its time to PT I work my ass off. I’m a 21 year old guy who likes beer and wants to serve, whats your beef?

My hat is off to you. While serving in the military is not universally popular right now you should never feel the need to apologize for answering the call to arms. Those of us who have served and been shot at in defense of this country will proudly welcome you into the “brotherhood”.

Youth and alcohol have been a common denominator in the military for many years. My young single Soldiers spent the majority of their money on alcohol and tunes every payday.

It was always humorous to enter a barracks room during inspections and see $500 worth of furniture covered with $10,000 worth of stereo equipment along with a refrigerator stocked with two cases of beer and a box of frozen burritos

Of course, when a visit to the “two-way” range becomes inevitable those same partying “kids” become serious “men” real quick. Feel free to raise an “adult” beverage to the memory of Chesty, Rogers’ Rangers or Bull Halsey as you see fit and know that you’ll never meet finer men than those who chew the same dirt with you in training and combat. [/quote]

Thanks DM, I look forward to earning my place among the Few and the Proud shortly after I graduate.