T Nation

Mental Problems Perventing LEAN MUSCLE Gain?

I’m gonna keep this as short as I can.

I’ve been dealing with OCD and the resulting anxiety for 5-6 years. It consumes 50-60% of my life on good days and on bad days, it could be as bad as staying inside the house for days doing nothing but obsessing.

In the past 6 years, i have gone from a chubby 170lb kid to 142lb skinny fat to 164lb @ 18% bf. Because of the anxiety, my workouts suck but im consistant because it makes me feel good.

However, sometimes I go in there with a lot of stress, caffeine, and very distracted. I lift hard, but not as hard or focused as I could be. I dont get the “Test buzz” but instead just stressed out.

Is this an indication that cortisol is too high and my body didnt produce the T nesscary during a workout?

[quote]GettingBigNow wrote:
I’m gonna keep this as short as I can.

I’ve been dealing with OCD and the resulting anxiety for 5-6 years. It consumes 50-60% of my life on good days and on bad days, it could be as bad as staying inside the house for days doing nothing but obsessing.

In the past 6 years, i have gone from a chubby 170lb kid to 142lb skinny fat to 164lb @ 18% bf. Because of the anxiety, my workouts suck but im consistant because it makes me feel good.

However, sometimes I go in there with a lot of stress, caffeine, and very distracted. I lift hard, but not as hard or focused as I could be. I dont get the “Test buzz” but instead just stressed out.

Is this an indication that cortisol is too high and my body didnt produce the T nesscary during a workout?[/quote]

I don’t know; maybe your body had cortisol too high and “T” too low for optimal results. But if you have OCD bad enough to eat up more than half your life on good days, you are better off not concerning yourself about possible high cortisol and mediocre “T” unless you know of something concrete you can realistically do to improve them.

Just do your best with a reasonable amount of time in the gym, and focus your efforts on getting or keeping the rest of your life in some kind of reasonable order.

To focus better in the gym, you might want to write down whatever it is you are worried about or want to think about before you go to the gym; then tell yourself you will think about that stuff later; and then try to focus on your exercises while you are in the gym. But only if you can write that stuff down without making a major project out of it.

All great bodybuilders are obsessive compulsive.

If you want to obsess about something, obsess about eating 300 grams of protein every day, and every time you’re in the gym out-performing your last gym session with those bodyparts, doing more reps, or more weight, and maintaining good safe form.

Continue seeking therapy and actively trying to break the cycle of self damaging obsession while establishing control in all good parts of your life without the need for rituals or counting.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
All great bodybuilders are obsessive compulsive.

If you want to obsess about something, obsess about eating 300 grams of protein every day, and every time you’re in the gym out-performing your last gym session with those bodyparts, doing more reps, or more weight, and maintaining good safe form.

Continue seeking therapy and actively trying to break the cycle of self damaging obsession while establishing control in all good parts of your life without the need for rituals or counting.[/quote]

Great post.

Shift the OCD into the development of yourself, and you’ll be amazed at the outcome.

a while back someone on these forums said that the general public considers fitness/bodybuilding types as being “obsessed” when really they are just dedicated and determined, i’d say it is very true