Mental Perception vs Ability

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Why do you feel the only way to stand out or be impressive is to weigh alot? Some of the most impressive guys I have ever seen are closer to 180 then 280. See that is the thing, “impressive” is a subjective term. Everyone else seems to be able to agree on that aside from you.

[/quote]

My mistake. I figured it was understood the issue was gaining a lot of muscle mass and not simply genetic shape.

Weight alone is not the issue.[/quote]

I guess what I am trying to say is it is all subjective and relative. Nobody is right or wrong because we are dealing with a subject where the result is opinion based with no standard. [/quote]

Well in a perfect world this would end the thread right here.

Me thinks that will not happen however.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Why do you feel the only way to stand out or be impressive is to weigh alot? Some of the most impressive guys I have ever seen are closer to 180 then 280. See that is the thing, “impressive” is a subjective term. Everyone else seems to be able to agree on that aside from you.

[/quote]

My mistake. I figured it was understood the issue was gaining a lot of muscle mass and not simply genetic shape.

I guess what I am trying to say is it is all subjective and relative. Nobody is right or wrong because we are dealing with a subject where the result is opinion based with no standard. [/quote]

Me thinks that will not happen however.[/quote]

If everybody wrote “/thread” after every decent post, these threads could not reach their true potential because they will not strive for an even better “/thread” post.

Stop imposing limits on threads. I’m worried that some of these new threads that aren’t even that big yet will get discouraged and quit growing. I still believe there is a new thread out there, somewhere in the world, that can make it past 46 pages.

Is it hotter in the summer or in the country?

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

If everybody wrote “/thread” after every decent post, these threads could not reach their true potential because they will not strive for an even better “/thread” post.

Stop imposing limits on threads. I’m worried that some of these new threads that aren’t even that big yet will get discouraged and quit growing. I still believe there is a new thread out there, somewhere in the world, that can make it past 46 pages.[/quote]

Bullshit…there is no damn way any thread has the genetics to get past 46 pages.

That is just a bunch of hooey and tomfoolery.

-Will psychological beliefs and outlooks affect your desire and motivation to apply effort? No doubt.
-Will it have an overriding effect on what your genetics dictate you will be able to accomplish in terms of physical growth? Not as likely.

S

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

Stop imposing limits on threads. I’m worried that some of these new threads that aren’t even that big yet will get discouraged and quit growing. I still believe there is a new thread out there, somewhere in the world, that can make it past 46 pages.[/quote]

That is just a bunch of hooey and tomfoolery. [/quote]

Let’s look at some examples of 46-page threads. Some people just don’t realize how big that is.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/the_body_weight_factor?id=5589682&pageNo=45

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
-Will psychological beliefs and outlooks affect your desire and motivation to apply effort? No doubt.
-Will it have an overriding effect on what your genetics dictate you will be able to accomplish in terms of physical growth? Not as likely.

S[/quote]

But, your genetics are a simple blueprint of who you are. Your drive is what helps you reach your full potential. You can not reach your full potential without striving for it at all unless someone is an idiot savant.

It could be argued that one can not strive for their full potential unless they first believe hey can reach that goal.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

Let’s look at some examples of 46-page threads. Some people just don’t realize how big that is.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/the_body_weight_factor?id=5589682&pageNo=45[/quote]

Clearly not assisted… how can YOU possibly think that THAT is not the product of mind over MATTER.

I do have to admit, i was recently impressed by the OP.
He went from many gained 80 or more pounds, to i and a beefy poster did, to i have bad genetics, to i am too lazy to prove my point using beefy, to quiting and moving on so fast i am afraid he might had suffered a whiplash.
Please slowdown, all that activity might make you loose your fullhouse status and you might become less impressive to many 6 yo girls.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/the_body_weight_factor?id=5589682&pageNo=45[/quote]

Does that mean that there cannot be a thread somewhere in this world bigger? What does that link have to do with anything?

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

Does that mean that there cannot be a thread somewhere in this world bigger? What does that link have to do with anything?
[/quote]

Chill out. I am simply using forum data known to us over the last several years. Yes, I realize that not every thread aspires to be a thread on T-Nation because there is not much monetary incentive, but it’s the best data we have to work with.

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chill out. I am simply using forum data known to us over the last several years. Yes, I realize that not every thread aspires to be a thread on T-Nation because there is not much monetary incentive, but it’s the best data we have to work with.[/quote]

Where did I even talk about monetary incentive for threads? You are literally following me around just to mis-quote what I write.

I think you would do better to argue what we’re really talking about instead of resorting to insults. It seems that is all you’ve done in this thread. Most here are tired of it, and it shows.

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chill out. I am simply using forum data known to us over the last several years. Yes, I realize that not every thread aspires to be a thread on T-Nation because there is not much monetary incentive, but it’s the best data we have to work with.[/quote]

??

Some of you forget that there are those with the genetic potential to surpass 46 pages.

I am wondering why UtahLama can go by stating this limit with no one to call him out?

Yet when I say something I get the whole BOI horde on me.

Absolutely I think it does!
Examples for me:
There have been many times I have talked myself out of a lift before I even tried it because of the ‘number’ Even tho past tries 5 pounds less were not all that difficult.

Or I have jumped lifts by 10# and repped them because I couldnt find smaller plates…and I would not have made that jump otherwise thinking I couldnt do it yet.

Is that what you meant?

[quote]ishinator wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

??

Some of you forget that there are those with the genetic potential to surpass 46 pages.

I am wondering why UtahLama can go by stating this limit with no one to call him out?

[/quote]

THANK YOU.

It seems some here get this. Others would rather argue with me just to argue while telling literally every thread they absolutely CANNOT be bigger than 46 pages.

[quote]sonnyp wrote:
In my opinion it matters more than anything else.[/quote]

That is what I believe also…which is one reason I take such an issue with literally defining exactly what someone can or can not do and telling them that this limit is the truth based on what has been done before.

mankind has made new steps into places before seen as only fantasy because we stopped believing that what had been done before is all there is. Am I right or wrong?[/quote]

I agree that self confidence is a significant factor in success, but what of the other end of the spectrum? While defeatist thinking is poison to achievement, what about someone who has a wholly unrealistic, over-inflated sense of self and accomplishment? Does that have a negative impact as well? i.e. If you lack a realistic perspective on what you have and will achieve; cling to self delusion and entitlement what will you wind up doing?

Check out “Waiting for Superman” for an indication of this–Rosenthal’s studies are interesting–but when contrasted to the current state of affairs, what is more interesting would be the fact that American students today rank 25th and 21st in math and science scores respectively. American students however rank 1st in confidence in abilities…

Confidence is one thing, unearned and unwarranted delusional thinking is another altogether. When one has that skewed and distorted perception improvement is difficult because the belief is there that one is already great. I wonder how that relates to getting Bigger, Stronger, and Leaner?

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]ishinator wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

??

[/quote]

THANK YOU.

It seems some here get this. Others would rather argue with me just to argue while telling literally every thread they absolutely CANNOT be bigger than 46 pages.

[/quote]

Good Post.

The ones who argue are the ones content with mediocrity.

My goal was to create threads so large that it would part bandwidth as soon as it entered a forum.

The guys who created HUGE threads did not get that way by talking about limits.

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
Absolutely I think it does!
Examples for me:
There have been many times I have talked myself out of a lift before I even tried it because of the ‘number’ Even tho past tries 5 pounds less were not all that difficult.

Or I have jumped lifts by 10# and repped them because I couldnt find smaller plates…and I would not have made that jump otherwise thinking I couldnt do it yet.

Is that what you meant?
[/quote]

In a way, yeah.

I mentioned before that when I benched 405 it was a huge obstacle for me…because I didn’t have anyone to spot me and really hadn’t seen too many people like me do that much…so I was pretty much a little scared of it.

I didn’t get past that until I trained with other people about my size who really pushed me and made me believe I could do it.

If it weren’t for that, I wold have been way more reluctant to believe I could and could have held myself back.

That is why genetic potential should not be looked at as some “guarantee”.

You can have all the potential in the world and still fail if you have the wrong mind set.

It is this mental perception I am discussing here…and attempting to point out just how important it is.

For some reason PX reminds me of Don Cheadle as Captain Planet.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5876f2aced/don-cheadle-is-captain-planet

[quote]ac33ro wrote:

I agree that self confidence is a significant factor in success, but what of the other end of the spectrum? While defeatist thinking is poison to achievement, what about someone who has a wholly unrealistic, over-inflated sense of self and accomplishment? Does that have a negative impact as well? i.e. If you lack a realistic perspective on what you have and will achieve; cling to self delusion and entitlement what will you wind up doing? [/quote]

You are right here, but honestly what I see more often than anything lately is people who believe they have done quite a lot when they really haven’t because they surround themselves with people who don’t really do much…so anything above that seems like an accomplishment.

I agree that someone who has a delusional sense of self is at a disadvantage, but in an age of self entitlement and people believing they are owed respect without much effort what I see more often is people not really doing much but wanting praise like they won the world…