mental drive

Do any of you find that when you are training for a competition or contest that you have a better drive? I am training for a bench meet in march and I have this incredible drive that makes me work harder than I ever have. I mean everyday that I am in the gym its not just some everday meaningless day in the gym, it is an important day of training. What do you all think?

I know what you mean. With powerlifting you have very specific goals and a specific date when you have to meet those goals. This makes for very focused workouts because you have a detailed plan, and you have to stay on schedule. You’re not just get training to get stronger or put on mass, your’re doing something with all that strength. You’re really competing with yourself, and even if you don’t take first place in the meet, you still win if you make a PR. Plus you have something to look forward to, and it’s fun being around “your kind” of people (other powerlifters) at the meet. Good luck, and let us know how you did after the meet.