Mental Barrier

so hey guys…dont know what to do…my bench has not improved in a couple of years…around 5 years ago i could bench 190 at 130 and than i had a shoulder injury that didnt allow me to bench for a while…obvoisly bench went down but now at bw of 170 i still cant bench more than i used to…

the thing is that all my other lifts have improved

incline bench- from 90lb 10reps → 110lbs 10 reps
close grip bench- from 132lbs to 180lbs
dumbbell press 10reps with 50 lbs → 10reps with 70lbs

…do you think its some sort of mental barrier??? what can i do abt it if so

i would like to add that everything else improved…i can squat around 70lbs more…didnt used to deadlift back than but sure of wouldnt have lifted more than 265 and now i can lift 415…

Upload a video. Post a training outline. More data = more helpful input.

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
i would like to add that everything else improved…i can squat around 70lbs more…didnt used to deadlift back than but sure of wouldnt have lifted more than 265 and now i can lift 415…[/quote]

four-fifteen pull ?

not doubting you…just a typo-check [ it’s like spell-check , but for numbers :wink: ]

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

i would like to add that everything else improved…i can squat around 70lbs more…didnt used to deadlift back than but sure of wouldnt have lifted more than 265 and now i can lift 415…[/quote]

four-fifteen pull ?

not doubting you…just a typo-check [ it’s like spell-check , but for numbers :wink: ][/quote]

Could have long gorilla arms.

I can kind of relate to you OP in a sense. I messed up my hip abductor/flexor not really sure what happened I went to medical and they didn’t really know either. Anyway tonight was the first time squatting 315 again and I definitely experienced a fight or flight type fear before attempting it. Actually felt kind of cool. Ended getting a solid 3 when I only wanted one.

Unless you’re shoulder is actually wrecked maybe its time to just face your fears.

I had a good friend of mine coaching me on technique last year. To help me break through mental barriers he loaded the bar for me. I was told to look away while he put weight on the bar and not to look at it before I lifted. It resulted in a 15 lb bench PR and a 20lb deadlift PR in the same training session. Now weights that used to scare me simply don’t anymore.

so i usually train like this

mon
deads 3x3-5
weighted pull ups 3x 3-6
some row for 2-3sets
ab work

wed
bench 3x3-5
dips 2x4-6
inc bench 2x8-10
pull aparts 4x10
ab work

fri
squat 3x3-5
back extensions 2/3x10-15
leg curls 2x8-12

sat
overhead press 3x8
side lat 3x15
some back movement…
some biceps triceps and some forearm…

and Yes i have pulled 415 and in a meet…arms hang almost up to kneecaps with a load in hand

ok more like mid thigh…

me deadlifting

Get a good spotter, put 205 on the bar, and see how you go. That will illicit a fight or flight response right there.

Have you actually attempted more weight? Slack more weight on the bar and go for it. Upload a vid if you’re still having problems. The work is there, just apply it.

ammonia

Gotta be form if you can cg 180

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

four-fifteen pull ?

not doubting you…just a typo-check [ it’s like spell-check , but for numbers :wink: ][/quote]

This guy needs help (so do I tho!) - I’ve been in a similar situation: 215 bench, 500 dl a while ago.

Now it’s more like 244 and 550 so a pretty similar ratio.

Westside - read it, learn it, use it.

will try to get footage