Men's Health: What Do You Think?

I’ve noticed some of the workout tips they give out talk a lot about compound movements. They always mention something about a type of squat or deadlift. Yet i still rarely ever see people doing any of those at the gym.

I bought a copy a few yrs ago just for curiosity since it was the very first magazine for men here in Italy.
I found it very shallow.
It was also entirely written by women.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
I read it. I don’t get the hate.

I also read Men’s Journal, Best Life, Skeptic Mag, National Geographic, New Yorker, Reader’s Digest, GQ, Esquire and a fuck load of other mags. I have around 25 magazine subscriptions.

Why do people give a fuck if someone reads Men’s Health?

Beware the man with one book. Or one magazine. Or one website. [/quote]

Good post.

I read it for the odd gem, though I prefer Men’s Fitness.

Presently I am using a modified workout by Eric Cressy that I took from Men’s Fitness.

Quite a few of the authors on here write for both these mags.

I don’t have a problemm with it or the goals of some of its readers. They’re not trying to be something they’re not.

As someone said, the magazine is called Men’s HEALTH. They’re not claiming to be ‘hardcore’ with a focus on getting huge. Plus, if it turns people on to a healthier lifetstyle, that’s a good thing. Whether or not they move beyond it. All the better if they do. Fine if most don’t.

The only thing that bothers me is MISINFORMATION. But I don’t find Men’s Health is really guilty of this. Sometimes incomplete information. But not misinformation.

I find that Men’s Health is good for info on ‘cute’ little tricks in the kitchen, or even what sweater I should be matching with what jacket. Training advice? Well, it’s definitely not geared towards me. However, if you’re some sedentary office jockey, who has no clue about what he’s eating everyday, and hasn’t seen the inside of a ‘gym’ since high school, then it’s not a horrible publication. If you look at it as a ‘gateway’ into seeking out knowledge,… great, it’s done a good job then.

Still, I will admit to occassionally picking up an issue because it’s a great way to pickup women on the train (Have you ever noticed the looks you get from women while reading ‘flex’? -lol)

S

I didn’t start lifting because of Men’s Health, but it was the first place I went to for information about lifting. It is also what eventually led me here.

It’s outlived its usefulness for me at this point.

I’ve been a reader for almost as long as the mag has been out & like everyone else has pretty much stated it has led me to /kept me on the path to lifting & general fitness.

LOL back when I was younger & before I surfed the 'Net I used to buy & read all the mags voraciously, incl. MuscleMag, the original hard copy Testosterone, MD2000, Planet Muscle, Mens Fitness, Flex, etc. The biggest turnoff is when half the mag is ads for supplements masquerading as “articles”

It’s sad for the mag industry that so much fluff & advertsing is needed to keep them afloat nowadays since most info is more or less free online…

Overall if it gets you interested in getting healthier it is better than nothing. MH has decent articles, good tips, great photo shoots (almost as good as the early Maxim/FHM & Gear magazines)

And as The Mighty Stu has stated, women DO have a certain look on their faces if they see you reading MH on transit - it fluctuates between approving admiration to pity for me lol

[quote]Lowery38595 wrote:
I still want to know if jimmy the bartender is really a bartender. If anyone knows please say so. [/quote]

I believe he is, or at least was. Somewhere here in NY. I think somewhere in Midtown, but don’t quote me on that.
His real name is James Kennedy. He has a few books out

Also, not for nothing but they interview guys like Robert Dos Remedios, who I believe has been named coach of the year.
I hear that his new book about strength training “Men’s Health Power Training: Build Bigger, Stronger Muscles with through Performance-based Conditioning” is pretty good.
Look at the title. Nuff said.