T Nation

Meniscus Tear: Go Back to Heavy Squatting?

Greetings all.

Last week I started experiencing left lateral knee pain, progressing from a dull ache to severe sharp pain and inability to fully flex or extend my left leg. This has been going on for 5 days so far. The pain is still there but not as bad, and my leg still feels stiff.

I did go to an urgent care clinic and had X-rays taken. X-rays showed no tears, but doctor thought it might be a meniscus issue based on the McMurray test he performed. I have scheduled a follow up with an orthopedist to get an MRI.

The only thing I could think of being responsible for this knee pain is the 8 sets of squats I did a few days before the ache started. It wasn't a lot of weight but did mostly 5 sets of 5 reps with speed and depth.

My question is, has anyone out there suffered meniscus tears or other knee injuries, and was able to do recover enough to go back to full depth heavy squats? How did you recover? What did your doctor say about squatting?

I'm 45 years old by the way, not young anymore. I love squatting but hate the thought that I can't squat anymore, let alone heavy.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I tore the medial meniscus in my right knee playing volleyball back in my mid 30s. Several months later, had it repaired by arthroscopic surgury, removing the torn part. 3 days later I was doing minimal weight leg extensions, started light squating and o-lifts again a month later.

By the 6 month mark, everything was back to normal–several hours of volleyball a week, heavy squats, snatches, clean and jerks, and deadlifts. I never was that strong however, 160kg squat was my max both pre and post injury, 137.5 pre and 135 post clean and jerk, 120 pre and 115 post snatch, so the stress on the joint was possibly not as much as you might encounter.

I’m now 58, still lifting, started throwing (shot discus, hammer, weight, and highland games stuff) in my 40s. Volleyball is out, but not because of the knee, I moved and never found a suitable group to play with. No knee problems associated with the injury throughout all this. So, depending on the severity of your injury, and just how much you stress the joint, it is quite possible to get back to tolerable levels.

Good luck.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

1. It was in the 50’s in my unheated gym and even though I was wearing knee sleeves maybe the joint wasn’t warm enough even after doing what I thought was a sufficient warmup. I like a nice warm gym for doing heavy compound movement work. I think it makes a big difference for the joints and I know it makes me stronger.[/quote]

Talking about training in the cold made me think of wearing sweaters and leg warmers for ballet to keep muscles and ligaments warm so they are more flexible, and also trying to minimize injury. Also, our instructor keeps the studio HOT. It feels like it’s in the 80’s in there. I don’t know. You see football players often playing outside in really cold conditions, but I’d think there might be something to keeping your muscles and joints nice and warm.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Does everyone realize no president in the history of the Republic had as much smoke (scandal) engulfing his personal life and administration as Bill “Slick Willie” Clinton? Not even Nixon or Harding or Jackson or A. Johnson or Kennedy.[/quote]

Didn’t he tear his meniscus hoisting an intern onto the desk in the oval office?

I agree with Carl Darby’s above advice: “. …So, depending on the severity of your injury, and just how much you stress the joint, it is quite possible to get back to tolerable levels”

I am there presently. I recommend seeing a good ortho doc.

i am 56 ,during the last 30 years i have had 3 different ortho surgeons tell me due to various injuries to my knees [according to an mri i have a tear in my left knee] and arthritis in my knees no squats deadlifts or standing for long periods
i work a manual labor job ,i do squats and deadlifts knees hurt like a bitch, sometimes depth on squats ,form on deadlift depends on pain or fluid in my knees
my knees are going to get worse whether i do what doc said or not

Do you guys ever use the box squat?

The more you can load up hips and hams, the less you need to stress the knees. Or if you set the box a little high, you can limit the ROM to what’s pain free for your knee joint. DeFranco is always recommending them for busted old guys.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Do you guys ever use the box squat?

The more you can load up hips and hams, the less you need to stress the knees. Or if you set the box a little high, you can limit the ROM to what’s pain free for your knee joint. DeFranco is always recommending them for busted old guys.[/quote]

I have been doing lifts from pins for this very reason.

[quote]BigMan2004 wrote:
Greetings all.

Last week I started experiencing left lateral knee pain, progressing from a dull ache to severe sharp pain and inability to fully flex or extend my left leg. This has been going on for 5 days so far. The pain is still there but not as bad, and my leg still feels stiff.

I did go to an urgent care clinic and had X-rays taken. X-rays showed no tears, but doctor thought it might be a meniscus issue based on the McMurray test he performed. I have scheduled a follow up with an orthopedist to get an MRI.

The only thing I could think of being responsible for this knee pain is the 8 sets of squats I did a few days before the ache started. It wasn’t a lot of weight but did mostly 5 sets of 5 reps with speed and depth.

My question is, has anyone out there suffered meniscus tears or other knee injuries, and was able to do recover enough to go back to full depth heavy squats? How did you recover? What did your doctor say about squatting?

I’m 45 years old by the way, not young anymore. I love squatting but hate the thought that I can’t squat anymore, let alone heavy.[/quote]

Had a small tear in my Labrum in my left shoulder had it repaired ( Had to correct this to Labrum Because I originally said Meniscus,duh. FYI note to self dont post while on cold medication)

I would suggest seeing the orthopedic Doctor and go from there.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

Had a small tear in my Labrum in my left shoulder had it repaired ( Had to correct this to Labrum Because I originally said Meniscus,duh. FYI note to self dont post while on cold medication)

I would suggest seeing the orthopedic Doctor and go from there.[/quote]

Miniscus, Labrum. We knew what you meant, Bulldog. It was a nice try, but I believe Push wins the “I’m confused Award” for this thread.

Thanks all for your inputs.

I have scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic guy in a week so we’ll see what he says.

For now my knee is still a bit tender and I cannot fully bend the knee. It’s weird, it feels like the knee is stuck trying to bend past 90 degrees, very stiff. But the sharp pain on the side of the knee is gone.

I’ll continue to keep the knee sleeve/brace on and take it easy until I see the doctor.

I’ve had iliotibial band syndrome pain before, which I originally thought this was, but the pain and flex issues were far worse which makes me think it’s a tear.

Once issue is resolved I’ll continue to squat but take it easier. The debate is still out there over parallel vs. ATG squats but ATG is all I have ever done them.

What debate?

You hurt your knee going ATG. Look at it from a risk/reward standpoint.

We are living in the future. There are tons of lifts, equipment, techniques and moves to hit all your muscles without risking your knees.

Use it or loose it, I guess.

I was reading some Russian book, and they said to get body temp to 39 degrees celsius for peak power output. They mentioned that dudes would start to sweat after 5 minutes of warmups. But when they took their rectal temperature, it was still low. It took like 20 minutes to get their internal temperature up to 102 degrees.

I’ll take their word for it.

Once I recover I’ll definitely need to increase the amount of time I warm up especially my lower body.

Interesting though whether I should go back to ATG or not. These days it seems everyone is all ATG. You can’t go through any youtube video of people squatting without the ATG nazis chiming in about proper depth.