T Nation

Meniscus Surgery

Ok, so I’m back from the doc and he told my I tore my lateral meniscus on the right knee. He also said the only surgery possible is to remove the torn part by arthoscopy. I will have the surgery in the fall since I have a 15 weeks internship this summer. For those who had this type of surgery, who long is the rehad and are you back at 100%. Thanks a lot.

Had three “scopes” and it’s not a big deal. They’ll go in and scrape out the damaged meniscus and you’ll be good to go. If that is all that is wrong you’ll be on crutches in 2-3 days and you’ll be walking on it by the next week. You will be able to come back and exercise when ready, but I’d wait at least a month (due to inflammation and uncomfortability).

had full reconstructive ACL surgery…back in the gym about a month after surgery…its been a little over a year and im well beyond 100%…stronger, bigger, and faster than what i was before the surgery…and your surgery is much less serious, so trust me,

dont let it get to you…you will be up and running before you know it…and if you do loose any weight or strength, and your serious about it, your competitive drive against yourself will kick in, and your gains will come at a rapid rate…trust me, i know…just work hard when you get back!!

by the way, when i say i was back in the gym a month after surgery, i dont mean doing squats obviously…i was in rehab during the day and the gym at night…doing mostly upper body and some really light leg stuff…

im sure you knew but you will come some asshole on this saying saying, “bullshit, you werent back in a month after that doing squats.” so ill clear that up for everyone haha so good luck wwith your surgery man but dont stress over it

Thnaks guys, I guess the surgery isn’t that big of a deal after all.

I have had meniscus surgery on both of my knees. One was a bit worse then the other, and I was on crutches for a couple of days.

Rehab is not a difficulty, just lay off the back squats (especially ass-to-grass) for a few months.

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
had full reconstructive ACL surgery…back in the gym about a month after surgery…its been a little over a year and im well beyond 100%…stronger, bigger, and faster than what i was before the surgery…and your surgery is much less serious, so trust me,

dont let it get to you…you will be up and running before you know it…and if you do loose any weight or strength, and your serious about it, your competitive drive against yourself will kick in, and your gains will come at a rapid rate…trust me, i know…just work hard when you get back!![/quote]

Damn you had one hell of a surgery!!! Those suck, I had 3 Lateral Releases and “scopes” (combo)… They are a lot different than what you had…

I was playing basketball (competitively) a month after my last surgery (the others were when I was 11)… Glad to see you got back so quick, you should give Culpepper some pointers (18 months and he still isn’t back!)

I had meniscus surgery and had full ROM afterwards. I also had femoral microfracture though so I was non weight bearing. But it isn’t that bad.

I had surgery 1 1/2 years ago and went to sleep thinking 3 days on crutches but woke up with 6 weeks.

Make sure you know if it is a menisectomy (sp?) or a repair. They attempted to repair mine and it was 6 weeks with no weight bearing. It didn’t take by the way.

Just ensure you know what they plan is prior to sleepy time.

If its just a scope and clean out, typically the rehab will last 4-6 weeks. That means you should actually be back to full strength in the time. You should start re-strengthening the leg within a few days. You Physical Therapist/Athletic Trainer will help guide you. You should be off the crutches in 2-3 days.

If you get a repair then the rehab is considerably longer. You will be non-weight bearing for at least six weeks. The problem with the meniscus is that it has a terrible blood supply, so there are only certain areas that are good candidates for a repair. Most times they end up scoping it to take the chunk of torn meniscus out.

Good Luck! If you’re already strong you rehab could be even quicker. Trained individuals usually bounce back faster than sedentary ones.

Tree

[quote]Stiles55 wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:
had full reconstructive ACL surgery…back in the gym about a month after surgery…its been a little over a year and im well beyond 100%…stronger, bigger, and faster than what i was before the surgery…and your surgery is much less serious, so trust me,

dont let it get to you…you will be up and running before you know it…and if you do loose any weight or strength, and your serious about it, your competitive drive against yourself will kick in, and your gains will come at a rapid rate…trust me, i know…just work hard when you get back!!

Damn you had one hell of a surgery!!! Those suck, I had 3 Lateral Releases and “scopes” (combo)… They are a lot different than what you had…

I was playing basketball (competitively) a month after my last surgery (the others were when I was 11)… Glad to see you got back so quick, you should give Culpepper some pointers (18 months and he still isn’t back!)

[/quote]

haha i guess results vary!! but yea, i busted my ass to get back into things…it was definitely a long drawn out prcoess of gettin my lower body strength back but i guess thats the name of the game…

my surgery leg is still a bit smaller than my other leg but its got the exactly same strength, weird, but im working out on evening them out! slowly but surely they will be identical…its a great to have goals, and sometimes injuries like the one i have helps drive you more, but i guess that drive also depends on the person as well, and im glad to say i have it!!

[quote]Tree wrote:
If its just a scope and clean out, typically the rehab will last 4-6 weeks. That means you should actually be back to full strength in the time. You should start re-strengthening the leg within a few days. You Physical Therapist/Athletic Trainer will help guide you. You should be off the crutches in 2-3 days.

If you get a repair then the rehab is considerably longer. You will be non-weight bearing for at least six weeks. The problem with the meniscus is that it has a terrible blood supply, so there are only certain areas that are good candidates for a repair. Most times they end up scoping it to take the chunk of torn meniscus out.

Good Luck! If you’re already strong you rehab could be even quicker. Trained individuals usually bounce back faster than sedentary ones.

Tree[/quote]

Thanks man! The doc said that a repair was impossible. I’m still training RDL, GM, reverse hypers and lots of abs work, everything except the quads is getting stronger. Any tricks that could help me preserve some mass on the injury side quads ?

I full ACL/MCL/PCL reconstruction in my knee. It took me about 2 months to not walk with a limp, 12 weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week, and about 8 months before I could go back to the gym and even do quarter squats without being in pain.

The main thing is there isn’t a set timetable on recovery, everyone is different. My knee is 90 percent almost 2 years after surgery, and it hurts for me to run on it, but it’s getting better though.

Best of luck to you, and I hope your surgery and recovery go well.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
I full ACL/MCL/PCL reconstruction in my knee. It took me about 2 months to not walk with a limp, 12 weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week, and about 8 months before I could go back to the gym and even do quarter squats without being in pain.

The main thing is there isn’t a set timetable on recovery, everyone is different. My knee is 90 percent almost 2 years after surgery, and it hurts for me to run on it, but it’s getting better though.

Best of luck to you, and I hope your surgery and recovery go well.[/quote]

Damn man, that sounds really tough, sorry to hear its taking so long…keep on pushin, u will get back to 100% good luck

Damn, I had a medial meniscal tear and my right knee completely locked. After a meniscectomy I wasn’t back to full strength for a little over a year. Y’all got lucky.

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
I full ACL/MCL/PCL reconstruction in my knee. It took me about 2 months to not walk with a limp, 12 weeks of physical therapy 3 times a week, and about 8 months before I could go back to the gym and even do quarter squats without being in pain.

The main thing is there isn’t a set timetable on recovery, everyone is different. My knee is 90 percent almost 2 years after surgery, and it hurts for me to run on it, but it’s getting better though.

Best of luck to you, and I hope your surgery and recovery go well.

Damn man, that sounds really tough, sorry to hear its taking so long…keep on pushin, u will get back to 100% good luck
[/quote]

Thanks IronWarrior34, much appreciated.

im skipping surgery and I am feeling good. I did a lot of step ups and step downs and band work as well as one leg leg presses to get my quad stength up as part of PT

heres a similiar thread i started a few weeks ago

http://www.T-Nation.com/jumpLast.do?id=1531207

I had my right meniscus repaired in late Feb of '03. (non bodybuilding injury). I was lifting again in early April "03

I used the Trapbar and Leg Press for the next three years. I imagine I could have squated again if I wanted too.

Wow, this should be called “How notto treat your knees”. I’ve never had surgery, but with it seeming so common, I’m going to take that extra effort to make sure my knees (and shoulders) don’t ever fuck up.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
Thnaks guys, I guess the surgery isn’t that big of a deal after all. [/quote]

Surgery is a big deal. Its the most risky option you can take. I had surgery on both knees. ACL repair on right knee and meniscetomy on left.

I’d take the ACL any day as the really messed up the meniscus. 3 years on and its still gives me trouble.

I’d avoid any surgery for as long as possible.