Meniscus Repair, Recovery Time?

I tore my meniscus sparring MMA, I shot a double leg and the knee locked up on me, lateral and according to the dr it was a big tear, tear was may 7th, had meniscus repair, not removal, 8 days later on may 15th. Has any one had this surgery? If so what was your recovery like? How long till you could walk on it, running, doing running jacks, ect?

I’m looking to join the Army, and was wondering if I would be about to do boot camp style PT in two months. I don’t have to be the best, just good enough to dog it for a few weeks until I’m stronger.

repairs take much longer: rough estimates:

0-6 weeks: ROM and light resistance
6-10 weeks: body weight movements with aerobic activities (pool, cycling, etc)
11-15: return to prior level activity

There is also the surgeon’s preference…

Yeah, that’s what the paper he gave me said.

Repairs are tricky because a good portion of the meniscus has a poor blood supply so it takes a while to heal. I would be very diligent about rehab and conservative with returning to things that are demanding on your knees, and I hate to shoot you down but I would be ready to push the date you want to enlist back by at least another month or two unless you just want to be dealing with this again shortly after you start running like it’s your job at boot camp. Let it heal properly now so you can function at a higher level for longer through your life.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
I tore my meniscus sparring MMA, I shot a double leg and the knee locked up on me, lateral and according to the dr it was a big tear, tear was may 7th, had meniscus repair, not removal, 8 days later on may 15th. Has any one had this surgery? If so what was your recovery like? How long till you could walk on it, running, doing running jacks, ect?

I’m looking to join the Army, and was wondering if I would be about to do boot camp style PT in two months. I don’t have to be the best, just good enough to dog it for a few weeks until I’m stronger. [/quote]

It takes about 10 weeks for the repair to fully heal.

That doesn’t mean you are fully ready for activity though.

Other things are going to play an important role like how well you adhere to your rehab, how good of a rehab program you have, the strength of your muscles, etc.

Don’t push this. Be grateful you qualified for a repair and not an excise. You don’t want to be under the knife again.

I had 3 knee surgeries (3 separate tears) in the Army as an 11b (and 11 more orthos after so think it over) averaged about 25 days convalescent leave then returned to limited or full duty, cartilage damage is going to annoy you forever (arthritis, bone spurs) but it won’t bar you from entry into the military or really impact your ability to cruise through basic even at Benning. However listening to your doctor is almost never a bad thing.

[quote]BReddy wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

I’m looking to join the Army, and was wondering if I would be about to do boot camp style PT in two months. I don’t have to be the best, just good enough to dog it for a few weeks until I’m stronger. [/quote]

Other things are going to play an important role like how well you adhere to your rehab, how good of a rehab program you have, the strength of your muscles, etc.

Don’t push this. Be grateful you qualified for a repair and not an excise. You don’t want to be under the knife again. [/quote]
Where did you read this?
I been googling when the repair heals, and all I can ever find is stuff on rehab not the actual healing of the tear where he stitched it back together.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

[quote]BReddy wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

Don’t push this. Be grateful you qualified for a repair and not an excise. You don’t want to be under the knife again. [/quote]
Where did you read this?
I been googling when the repair heals, and all I can ever find is stuff on rehab not the actual healing of the tear where he stitched it back together. [/quote]

Here you go: http://www.udel.edu/PT/PT%20Clinical%20Services/journalclub/caserounds/09_10/Nov09/Accelerated%20Meniscal%20Repair%20Rehab[1].pdf

Fantastic, thank you. I looked at the paper too, next time I better read the discussion.

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
Fantastic, thank you. I looked at the paper too, next time I better read the discussion. [/quote]

You got it.