T Nation

Mendelson Failed Twice at 1008

I found the vid that some, or at least one, of us has been clamoring for. It's of Scott Mendelson locking out 914 easy one time, then attempting 1008 twice. I think he's gonna get the new record real soon. GO MENDELSON!

yah i think so too he was pretty close to locking out 1008

He already did 1008 in Pasadena Feb 18th.
He missed 1030.

Does anyone have a video of this?

he hit 1008 for the world record and missed 1030 at Pasadena.
Anyone have the footage of it?

my opinion, and the one of most people there was that the judge gave him a freebie...he did not lock out at 1008...at 1030 he got stuck at the bottom and saved by the spotters.

Apparently, there has been alot of brouha over whether or not Mendy's link was exhibition or APF sanctioned and whether or not he even got the weight up. Mendelson posted on another site saying:

THE LIFT WAS SANCTIONED BY THE APF.GORDON SANTEE,LISA WHEELER,AND MARRIS STERNBERG JUDGED.I NAILED IT HARD AND I MADE SURE NO HANDS WERE ON THE BAR.HOPEFULLY THE VIDEO WILL BE UP SHORTLY.

That's the best I can do for now. I'll keep looking but until then this video of him attemtping 1031 and 1049 will have to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0t1_tQwB8E

I've been meaning to PM and ask you if he got the record; I couldn't find any results for the expo anywhere on the internet.

Can't wait to see the video.

P.S. Congrats on your elite total. Are you planning on staying at 242, or moving up to 275?

Bear

I have to agree. I was there and what he did barely resembled a "bench press". Granted, that much weight in my hands would kill me but still.

The lockout was questionable and as I've seen before, it looks like he starts the lowering the bar when the handler's hands are still on it.

Ah powerlifting. Where all the records are questionable.

Now all we need is someone to get whitelights with a deadlift over a thousand with hitching, and we'll have questionable lifts over a thousand in all three lifts.

I think genes 1005 was much bettert then medelsons 1008. Mendelson does have a quetionable lockout.

These aren't world records. First, are the plates weighed? There can be a 1-2% variance on regular plates. Ivanko competition plates are different than regular gym plates.

Mendy's lift could be as light 988 or as 1028.

I think some powerlifting rules are dumb, espcially the IPF rules. However, I do agree with what they do for a world record. Plates are weighed, benches must be certain specs, as well as bars. Judges have to be a certain level, and so on.

I love to see these exhibitions as great feats of strength, but I don't put them on the same level as a world record.

I heard IPF has good rules, and its only single ply you can wear for gear, so its less than all the big equipment use that puts like 200lbs more on a squat and stuff.

dl-

Looks like he was having trouble getting 1030+ to touch. Thats ridiculous.