T Nation

Men with Flip Flops in Gym

I hate em!! It’s not cool you fag, it’s freaking gay. I don’t want to look at your damn hairy feet in the gym.

And don’t get me started about the noise they make while walking. Always makes me want to yell “get your feet of the fakking ground”.

/rant

Agreed 9000%

At my old gym overseas I would bike over with flip flops on then leave them by my bike and train entirely barefoot. I wish I could still train barefoot.

Well…I myself wear sandals after working out…so I don’t get feet and toes that resemble doughnut sticks…i.e.athlete’s foot.

I don’t think your rant is going to swoon in the masses in your favor.

I think it’s “cooler” to not have cheesy feet.

[quote]Dahollow wrote:
I hate em!! It’s not cool you fag, it’s freaking gay. I don’t want to look at your damn hairy feet in the gym.

And don’t get me started about the noise they make while walking. Always makes me want to yell “get your feet of the fakking ground”.

/rant[/quote]

Back in “the Golden Days” of bodybuilding, in Arnold’s era, with Draper, Zane, Columbo etc. wearing flip-flops at the gym was common. Lots of barefoot lifting, and calf work was usually done in bare feet. You can see it in lots of photos from that era. Check out “Pumping Iron”.

[quote]studgorilla wrote:

[quote]Dahollow wrote:

/rant[/quote]

Back in “the Golden Days” of bodybuilding, in Arnold’s era, with Draper, Zane, Columbo etc. wearing flip-flops at the gym was common. Lots of barefoot lifting, and calf work was usually done in bare feet. You can see it in lots of photos from that era. Check out “Pumping Iron”. [/quote]

x2

Offer is good in every state except Hawaii, I would see people come to the gym right from the beach load the bar up and bench into the 400’s in flip flops. So I have no issue with it.

Now talk About the real issue. Grown Ass Men Wearing 1970 thigh high gym Shorts! Ahggggg

It’s all about context. There is no flip-flop middle ground. It’s either awesome or a total D-bag move

Who cares what other people are wearing? I wear shoes because I think its the right thing to wear… although i do strip down to barefoot when doing squats and deads.

I wear flip flops (not to the gym) because putting on shoes is a pain in the ass.

Sandals are female attire. Even the GZA agrees with me! “That’s minimum and feminine like sandals”

Sorry, but it’s true. No one wants to look at your greasy, crusty, ugly feet.

Men and sandals are only acceptable in a public shower, a public pool, or at the beach.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Men and sandals are acceptable when and wherever they fucking decide.[/quote]

Word.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Men and sandals are acceptable when and wherever they fucking decide.[/quote]

Word.
[/quote]

Touche. :wink:

The only guys I see wearing the type of flip flops the OP posted (I call them thongs) in the weight room are fob (fresh off the boat) asian and indian dudes. These are the same guys who seem to have never heard of deodorant. As long as you don’t wear socks with sandals I see no problem with wearing them (I don’t think they should be worn in the weight room though).

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Sandals are female attire. Even the GZA agrees with me! “That’s minimum and feminine like sandals”

Men and sandals are only acceptable in a public shower, a public pool, or at the beach.[/quote]

I have to agree. But I certainly wouldn’t mind females wearing sandals in the gym <3

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Men and sandals are only acceptable in a public shower, a public pool, or at the beach.[/quote]
I have to agree. I don’t see how guys go walking around a busy area going to bars in jeans and sandals, it looks fucking retarded and I hope someone steps on your foot.

[quote]four60 wrote:
Offer is good in every state except Hawaii, I would see people come to the gym right from the beach load the bar up and bench into the 400’s in flip flops. So I have no issue with it.

Now talk About the real issue. Grown Ass Men Wearing 1970 thigh high gym Shorts! Ahggggg [/quote]

Maybe, but I concur. Biggest guy I ever seen in a gym was in Hawai’i and it actually got me serious into training.

Story: I needed a gym while in Hawai’i for the summer, and the closest gym they had was in the off room in a lobby in the community I stay in while in Hawai’i. Well, tread mills and dumbbells in a 30x15 room wasn’t going to cut it for me.

So, I booked it to the beach for the morning, and noticed there were some big guys on the beach. I ended up asking one of them where to find a gym. They pointed me to an old dirt floor boxing gym, it was right off the beach.

I came back the next day before work, and I saw an enormous man riding a beach cruiser, which he dwarfed, in swim trunks and flip flops. He parked his bike outside the gym, came in put 5 plates on each side, hit it 12 times, put another plate and hit for another twelve. Did that one more time before getting on his bike and riding back from where he came.

Question: You going to tell that man he is acting like a girl, because he wears flip flops while he squats with no gear except swim trunks?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]studgorilla wrote:

[quote]Dahollow wrote:

/rant[/quote]

Back in “the Golden Days” of bodybuilding, in Arnold’s era, with Draper, Zane, Columbo etc. wearing flip-flops at the gym was common. Lots of barefoot lifting, and calf work was usually done in bare feet. You can see it in lots of photos from that era. Check out “Pumping Iron”. [/quote]

x2[/quote]

x3

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

I have to agree. I don’t see how guys go walking around a busy area going to bars in jeans and sandals, it looks fucking retarded and I hope someone steps on your foot.[/quote]

It’s even better when said sandal wearer is a tough guy picking fights. One of the funniest things I’ve witnessed was a few months ago when some guy wearing jeans and sandals decided to pick a fight with someone at the bar. I have no idea why it started, but thank god it did. Sandal guy was talking shit real loud so people would gather, the other guy was a little shorter and chubbier and just stood their laughing. The bouncers started to come over to remove the problem, sandal guy noticed and decided he would take a swing, short/chubby guy ducks and stomps on the sandal guys toes. Sandal guy is on the ground crying as he is removed by the bouncers. TWAS AWESOME!

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

Now talk About the real issue. Grown Ass Men Wearing 1970 thigh high gym Shorts! Ahggggg [/quote]

Maybe, but I concur. Biggest guy I ever seen in a gym was in Hawai’i and it actually got me serious into training.

Story: I needed a gym while in Hawai’i for the summer, and the closest gym they had was in the off room in a lobby in the community I stay in while in Hawai’i. Well, tread mills and dumbbells in a 30x15 room wasn’t going to cut it for me.

So, I booked it to the beach for the morning, and noticed there were some big guys on the beach. I ended up asking one of them where to find a gym. They pointed me to an old dirt floor boxing gym, it was right off the beach.

I came back the next day before work, and I saw an enormous man riding a beach cruiser, which he dwarfed, in swim trunks and flip flops. He parked his bike outside the gym, came in put 5 plates on each side, hit it 12 times, put another plate and hit for another twelve. Did that one more time before getting on his bike and riding back from where he came.

Question: You going to tell that man he is acting like a girl, because he wears flip flops while he squats with no gear except swim trunks?[/quote]

When I mentioned biking to the gym overseas, I was on a tropical island (Samoa) and it was a lot like what you just described. Nobody wears shoes there, they’re not only impractical but in most places you’re required to take them off anyways. They’re also very expensive. I wasn’t the only one that would wander in to a gym with flip flops on. I was one of the only ones that would take them off though, the locals were so use to them they would wear them while training. I was always worried my foot would slide off. I brought a pair back home with me and still wear them regularly. After not wearing shoes for 2 years my heels hurt if I wear shoes for more than about 3 hours.