T Nation

Men Wearing Nail Polish

What is up with this? This has been bugging me for a couple of years. Normally I don’t care how people live their lives- gay or straight, religious or not, whatever, each to their own is my usual point of view.

I’ve been to a quite a lot of countries in the last few years. In Japan, I noticed it occasionally. In Britain, I noticed it a lot, and it wasn’t gay guys, it was straight guys wearing it. What is this all about? It looks repulsive on men IMHO. Or am I just losing touch and becoming an old fuddy-duddy (I am 38)?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
What is up with this? This has been bugging me for a couple of years. Normally I don’t care how people live their lives- gay or straight, religious or not, whatever, each to their own is my usual point of view.

I’ve been to a quite a lot of countries in the last few years. In Japan, I noticed it occasionally. In Britain, I noticed it a lot, and it wasn’t gay guys, it was straight guys wearing it. What is this all about? It looks repulsive on men IMHO. Or am I just losing touch and becoming an old fuddy-duddy (I am 38)?[/quote]

No, it looks pretty fucked up.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
No, it looks pretty fucked up.[/quote]

x2

Its not you - its fucking gay. And that isn’t the opinion of an old fuddy-duddy, I’m 21.

Are you talking about actual colors? Or just the glossy stuff that makes your nails look shiny?

The only guys I ever knew who wore nail polish were the goth types in high school.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

I’ve been to a quite a lot of countries in the last few years. In Japan, I noticed it occasionally. In Britain, I noticed it a lot, and it wasn’t gay guys, it was straight guys wearing it. What is this all about? It looks repulsive on men IMHO. Or am I just losing touch and becoming an old fuddy-duddy (I am 38)?[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t get it either.

The thing that creeps me out more, is guys with long nails.

Nasty.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
and it wasn’t gay guys, it was straight guys wearing it.[/quote]

Naa… They’re secretly gay.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
ukrainian wrote:
No, it looks pretty fucked up.

x2[/quote]

x3. I keep my own nails short and functional. I think I would be overcome with an unreasonable urge to give them a wedgie or shove their head in a toilet. But I’m not a nice person.

I do it. There’s nothing gay about it. I always find it funny when you guys start to insult people due to a lack of manliness in their appearance, based on arbitrary standards you believe to be how a ‘T-Man’ would look.

I hate long nails as well, but who gives a shit if someone wants to throw some color on them? I paint mine five different bright, fruity shades. I also don’t care if anyone else likes it. You real men are a bit too concerned with appearance, if you ask me.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
…I paint mine five different bright, fruity shades…[/quote]

I thought you were serious, until you said this.

Well played.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I would much rather see a guy with well tended nails (I have never seen a guy, except a goth, with colored nails) than a guy who looks like he’s an extra in the movie “Quest for Fire”.

Thank goodness he’s in to hygiene, I much prefer that than the opposite.

and… I just don’t care what other folks find pleasing if it doesn’t effect me.

all this judging folks lately, all of you get over yourselves

Maybe he took his mom to a ladies day and she had him do it as a joke, or he has a daughter at home that did it for him.

who cares? actions make the man, not the trivial junk

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
…I paint mine five different bright, fruity shades…

I thought you were serious, until you said this.

Well played.[/quote]

Ha! I am serious. Today’s strong words seem relevant.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
I would much rather see a guy with well tended nails (I have never seen a guy, except a goth, with colored nails) than a guy who looks like he’s an extra in the movie “Quest for Fire”.

Maybe he took his mom to a ladies day and she had him do it as a joke, or he has a daughter at home that did it for him.

[/quote]

There’s a difference between getting your nails painted by your daughter or by your mom as a joke - and getting them done yourself in “5 vibrant colours”, and having them match your eyes or shoes.

Seriously, nothing wrong with looking after youself as a man - infact I encourage it - but painting your nails is right up there with wearing eye makeup and lipstick - men shouldn’t do it.

Again, I’m not going to get phased if some guy does it - but I am going to point and make fun of him.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

There’s a difference between getting your nails painted by your daughter or by your mom as a joke - and getting them done yourself in “5 vibrant colours”, and having them match your eyes or shoes.

Seriously, nothing wrong with looking after youself as a man - infact I encourage it - but painting your nails is right up there with wearing eye makeup and lipstick - men shouldn’t do it.

Again, I’m not going to get phased if some guy does it - but I am going to point and make fun of him.[/quote]

my dad’s a marine and about the toughest, most manly man ever, and on dress events, he would get a manicure. I would have pitied anyone that would have made fun of him.

also, he was raised that a gentleman does not have dirty hands that it was a sign of someone common with no manners.

and again, I guess I just find other things about folks that would chap my hide a lot more

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Again, I’m not going to get phased if some guy does it - but I am going to point and make fun of him.[/quote]

Well, they don’t exactly match my eyes or shoes, and I do them shits myself…so can I retain any man-points?

Why shouldn’t men do it? I’ve always thought a man should do what he likes, and that bending to the preference of others is a sign of being a bit of a dripping-twat queer. I like to paint my nails. If I should suddenly stop simply because other guys think it’s ‘gay’, I find that would be much more telling than the color of my fingernails.

You might find the way I look ridiculous, but I find the way most guys look to be rather silly myself. Who’s right? Majority doesn’t mean correctness, in fact, the opposite is often true.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
my dad’s a marine and about the toughest, most manly man ever, and on dress events, he would get a manicure. I would have pitied anyone that would have made fun of him.
[/quote]

So when your dad got a manicure, did he actually paint his nails?

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

I knew some Maine Guides on the Penobscot who painted their toenails. They said it helped control the fungus that grew on their nails as a result of their feet being immersed in the river most of the day.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River_detail_id_867_

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Again, I’m not going to get phased if some guy does it - but I am going to point and make fun of him.

Well, they don’t exactly match my eyes or shoes, and I do them shits myself…so can I retain any man-points?

Why shouldn’t men do it? I’ve always thought a man should do what he likes, and that bending to the preference of others is a sign of being a bit of a dripping-twat queer. I like to paint my nails. If I should suddenly stop simply because other guys think it’s ‘gay’, I find that would be much more telling than the color of my fingernails.

You might find the way I look ridiculous, but I find the way most guys look to be rather silly myself. Who’s right? Majority doesn’t mean correctness, in fact, the opposite is often true. [/quote]

I personally don’t ridicule how anyone looks, because it has nothing to do with me, nor do I think it’s gay. It’s just something that I don’t understand. Having dirty, and/or long fingernails, is just plain repulsive to me.

I have had them painted by a girfriend before, because it was something she always wanted to do, so…

It stayed on for a night, then out came the nail polish remover, which smells awful.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.