T Nation

Men... The Perfect Target?

If you live in Norway, like I do, a certain trend is quite easy to spot, if you try to look out for trends in the media. If you try to blame all muslims for the acts of few extremists or come with blanket statements about muslims, you get a shit-storm, and with good reason.

Blanket statements are seldom good. If you come with blanket statements about “how women are” or similar… you are a sexist, and again: ofcourse, blanket statements about women will seldom be very good. But then the point arises… Amnesty International, Red Cross and several other idealistic organisations have lately done huge campaigns about MEN! The evil, all-wrongdoing men.

First of all Amnesty Int. had a campaign about violence in relationships in Norway. Huge posters and commercials on tv with beaten up ladies and the inscription: “1/4 of norwegian females experience violence in relationships”… the imagery and the text drew an image I did not recognize… So i checked out their research and found a quite interesting point: using the same statistics and the same definitions of “violence”, 1/3 of norwegian men experienced violence in relationships…

So, why no campaign for the men…? After all, there are no centers for men that has been abused (and yes, I guess this sounds very un-t-man out for most of you, but bear with me) and after all, isn’t it far harder for a man to report such incidents… in our society today? What about running a campaign about violence in relationship without regard for gender…?

One of the most recent campaign is from Red Cross… a campaign about women suffering from wars. So far so good… but then the posters come up, pictures of a male waistline with a bulging zipper and a knife at his left side with the text: “most females fear the weapon in the middle the most”… And several other pictures with similar texts.

The point is clear: men are evil and women are the poor victims of war. Then the numbers arise: “60% of the victims of war are women and children”… suddenly “children” are involved, even though the entire campaign is directed towards women… why? Ofcourse: to better the numbers, if you counted women only, it would come down to somewhere around 35-40%… not that shocking anymore… Again, you a campaign about civilian casualties in war, without regard for gender, would have been better…

Finally: A methodically hazy and at best a bit newbieish reasearch paper with dodgy questions and definitons came up with a few interesting things. 50% of norwegian men thinks that female behaviour can result in rape. The newspapers blow this up, the feminists rage: “IT IS NEVER OUR FAULT!!”, men has to go on the frontpages, having to excuse themselves for being born men… If you look at the actual research, it shows that just as many females think that a certain behaviour can lead to rape.

And this is ofcourse far from stating: “it was your fault”, it is a mere propability statement. Further: only a small percentage of the norwegian men justified violence against women, and then only if the woman initiated the violence, but this was ofcourse not reported in the different articles in the tabloid press…

So, what is my point you ask? My point is that in the social democracies of skandinavia, the man is the only target left that everyone can attack. Generalize as much as you want, make as many blanket statements you want. As long as it is the man you attack… GREAT! If you did this against immigrants… or muslims… the leftists, the same leftists leading the norwegian press, would yell bloody murder and racism…

why is this? Why is it ok to attack the man and the male role in such fashions…? Why is the male role the only target for that kind of attacks without anyone from any part of society reacting…?

No matter how much feminists and others may complain about men, we will still tend to be the dominant players in society. Let them whine about the injustice in the world; you presumably still have your testicles and all the advantages that comes with them.

[quote]etaco wrote:
No matter how much feminists and others may complain about men, we will still tend to be the dominant players in society. Let them whine about the injustice in the world; you presumably still have your testicles and all the advantages that comes with them.[/quote]

Well put. I was working as a bouncer last night and at 3 am had to pull a tiny blonde chick off the boyfriend she was flailing away at. Somehow I don’t think he’s gonna be reporting an assault, she weighed about 95 pounds. There’s a reason violence against women is more serious than the reverse.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
etaco wrote:
No matter how much feminists and others may complain about men, we will still tend to be the dominant players in society. Let them whine about the injustice in the world; you presumably still have your testicles and all the advantages that comes with them.

Well put. I was working as a bouncer last night and at 3 am had to pull a tiny blonde chick off the boyfriend she was flailing away at. Somehow I don’t think he’s gonna be reporting an assault, she weighed about 95 pounds. There’s a reason violence against women is more serious than the reverse.[/quote]

And… since most females can’t beat up most men, it is okay to make blanket statements about men? :wink: No, not really…

Good post. It is the same bullshit double standard in U.S. I saw a lot of it during my “liberal” education in anthropology and learned to apply the same tools of critical thinking and analysis to the gender feminists as to any other group. Just verbally, it is acceptable for women to talk about ripping a guys balls off all the time but if a guy were to say he was going to rip out a woman’s uterus, he’d be locked up in no time.

Female centric thinking has become the norm in education as well and raising boys is a challenging prospect due to their male behavior being viewed as “wrong” or “deviant.” I wouldn’t call for any special treatment of men, just an equality of respect.

[quote]Grimnuruk wrote:
Good post. It is the same bullshit double standard in U.S. I saw a lot of it during my “liberal” education in anthropology and learned to apply the same tools of critical thinking and analysis to the gender feminists as to any other group. Just verbally, it is acceptable for women to talk about ripping a guys balls off all the time but if a guy were to say he was going to rip out a woman’s uterus, he’d be locked up in no time.

Female centric thinking has become the norm in education as well and raising boys is a challenging prospect due to their male behavior being viewed as “wrong” or “deviant.” I wouldn’t call for any special treatment of men, just an equality of respect.
[/quote]

Take your point, but I think unless you believe in the absolute sameness of the genders (as opposed to equality), there will be double standards. I don’t see that as a bad thing.