Men: Don't Get Married!

Wouldn’t work. They’re going to do the exact opposite of what you tell them anyway.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
I returned in March of this year from a 14 month deployment in Iraq. Even in strong marriages, like my wife and I have, it can still be difficult. Luckily we don’t have kids yet. I can’t imagine being deployed with a wife and kid(s) at home.

One thing I caught in the video that doesn’t make sense; a Sergeant First Class makes far more than 48k a year, which is what the narrator claimed he made.

Plus, I’m not an army expert, but doesn’t it take a few more than 5 years to become a sergeant first class? What is that an E7? [/quote]

Depending on MOS and how hungry a Soldier is to get promoted (i.e taking college classes and correspondence courses), some can get to E-6 between 5 and six years. But E-7, no way.

Headin off to basic and OCS soon myself, and this is one of the reasons I am staying away from marriage for a while (my first duty station is over in Korea), it’s amazing how many smartass high school kids jump right into the military, and to think I’ll be in charge of many of them…

48K may have referred to his taxable income. My taxable as an E-6 with dependents is much lower than my actual gross, due to non-taxable add-ons such as housing allowance, com rats(food money), etc.

What pisses me off is that if you get divorced while in the military, she is entitled to half of your pension, even if she remarries. So now add in kids(child support), and you not only lose a decent amount of yoru current income, but even after the kids are grown she still retains rights to a chunk of your future income. yeah, I know, the spouse sacrifices too, and I don’t dispute that. But to give her a flat 50% of unearned pension for life is ludicrous. I think there may be some qualifications to that, but you get the picture. My wife doesn’t work(partially due to choice, partially due to circumstance), but if we ever broke apart, I would have some serious problems with paying alimony for more than a few months. After all, from a legal sense, she would be the one who chose to break the contract and vows(better or worse, richer and poorer, etc) by leaving, so in pretty much any other contractual dispute, she would be entitled to a big Goose Egg.

I love my wife, we have a strong marriage, and I think we did it right, but there is always the chance something will happen to screw everything up. It helps that she was a Navy brat for at least part of her childhood, and I met her while she was in the Navy(she got out in 00), so she understands the lifestyle(understands it, but doesn’t necessarily like it). But I agree, I see a lot of stupid stuff happen with junior sailors. When I was stationed in Great Lakes(Navy boot camp instructor), we had a kid who graduated boot camp, went to yeoman school(admin type stuff), and came to work for us at the gun range. He dated and very quickly married his RDC’s daughter, and then shit hit the fan because she was apparently a meth head(still don’t believe he didn’t know–how can you hide something like that?).

An interesting idea might be to make it so you have to be 21+ years old to join the military. Give some of these guys a few years as an adult before they come into the military and fuck up. Either that or give everyone marriage/dependant pay from day 1. At least that way the incentive to marry the first piece of ass that comes along would be removed.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
An interesting idea might be to make it so you have to be 21+ years old to join the military. Give some of these guys a few years as an adult before they come into the military and fuck up. Either that or give everyone marriage/dependant pay from day 1. At least that way the incentive to marry the first piece of ass that comes along would be removed.[/quote]

The only problem with changing enlistment age to 21 is a large majority of junior marine/soldiers are right out of high school with no real direction. A lot of these guys and gals would, in my opinion, be forced to go to college or get a job. Either way they probably wont be joining at 21. I mean for the most part you either go to college, get a job, or join the military after high school. I didn’t met to many marines, enlisted anyway, that waited until 21+ to join. At the same time I never met a marine that had a career and then opted to enlist in the corps for less pay and a hell of a lot less freedoms.

The only problem I see with giving everyone BAH/Comrats is it would be very expensive. An E-1’s salary would more than double, barracks would be useless, and chow halls the same.

Everyone who hasn’t ought to read:

http://www.nomarriage.com/

Course this has been going on for centuries and even though most of society looks down on these people it still doesn’t seem to stop it. [/quote]

Centuries? Try since women got the vote.

You shouldn’t be allowed to marry while in the military until you serve 5 years. Get too many of these guys that marry the first piece of ass that comes along because they want the extra pay and need somebody to watch their place while they are deployed.

I live near Whiteman AFB and I see this shit happen all of the time. Guys marry the town jizz jar before going overseas then come back to a bunch of strangers living in their house boning their spouse.

Of course it would be nice if the government made it illegal for any member of the military to be divorced 6 months before/after deployment and while deployed.[/quote]

Bullshit!

Women should not have the right to take 50% of your assets, 50% of you income, custody of your kids, and child support $$, because she was not “happy” and filed for divorce.

Women should not be able use claims of “threats” in a divorce court without proof. Nor should they be able to get restraining orders, etc, to keep a husband away from kids and his property.

See where I am going with this…
…the divorce laws in the US and other Western European countries are fucked. And on top of that, women are encouraged (by laws and popular custom) to divorce at a whim.

Child support and spousal support is theft mandated by the state.
No person has a right to your property without due process.