T Nation

Meltdown Training Too Hard?

Hello all,
Maybe I'm a wuss.....

Maybe my conditioning has been lacking since I sprained my ankle.

I just finished my first attempt at bulking using the OVT routine. It was very successful, other than the fact that I am an endomorph and put on too much fat for my taste. So I decided to start cutting.

I looked up Meltdown Training http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459809

It looked good. However, I could not finish that circuit this morning. Maybe it was the four hours sleep. I don't know. I was able to make it through 2.5 sets before I felt like I was going to pass out and/or puke. This was even with increasing the rest time to three minutes instead of two.

In any case, I am looking for advice on how to continue. I see there being several possibilities.

1) Lower the weight used: I am not sure if this will help since strength does not seem to be the issue here, but conditioning.

2) Perform two sets with three minutes rest this week, three sets with three minute sets next week, three sets with two minutes rests in two weeks, and then move to the four sets with two minutes rest the week after that.

3) Suck it up, bring a bucket, and puke.

Thanks!

JF

Welcome to Meltdown Training!!

That feeling is quite normal, especially after doing something like OVT.

I always puke the first week. I have found that if you just shoot for 2 sets the first week to get used to the routine, you can start the following week with the prescribed 3 sets, and hold off the pukey feelings until the workout is over.

PRAY! Seriously man, given your username and avitar I would assume that the father/son/holyspirit is someone/thing you draw your strenght from.

Once you get physically adjusted to the routine going to your happy place through prayer or whatever else you need to do will help you a ton.

Well, Just an update.

I managed to get through day 2 and all three sets. I did not quite complete every rep, though. I am still getting the weights right. It's hard jumping from OVT to Circuit training. And I didn't even feel like puking.... till I got out to the car.

:slightly_smiling:

JF

I felt the same way doing Meltdown last year. I'd remember many times looking over at the trashcan, wondering if I could make it there in time. Luckily, I never had to.

The question also crossed my mind whether it was ruder to throw up in the gym or to just to die there.

On the plus side, doing Meltdown and nothing else, I lost 1 1/2 pounds a week. And the workouts were less than 20 minutes long!

But I dreaded going to the gym. Now I'm trying a program outlined in Christian T'. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck

Just an additional question for anyone who has done this. What % of Rm do you recommend for this? Thanks!

JF

Hey JF,

I'm on my third week of doing this. I started at 50% of my 1RM for all the lifts in the first week as a tester and just adjusted from there.

For some exercises like squats and deadlifts, 50% has been enough. For exericses like lunges, push presses and bent over rows, I can work up to 70%.

Jon

Thanks Jon!

JF

I never really paid attention to the %1RM I was doing. If you can get the weights dialed in the first week, then you should be set - which is what I did.