T Nation

Meltdown Too Much, Alternatives?

Hello everyone.
Here's a little background:
Recently, i had taken 10 days to deload from heavy work, westside type training with almost entirely 1RM ME days. I rarely do any core lifts above 5 rep sets.

My DE work has basically been 5X5 clean and push press or c&J/clean/front squat 3RM proggression for core movements. I've used various movements for accessory work in the 8-15 rep 4-6 set range.

I've had tremendous gains in my max strength for all my core lifts, but i'd been sleeping poorly before the deload so i took a break doing 1 core movement 3X8 @ 60% and one accessory movement 3 days a week for the 10 day deload.

Although my long-term goal is State powerlifting championship for my school, i want to take the opportunity of the extra time outside of school for the next 6-8 weeks and lean down a bit.

I'm around 85 Kg right now and optimally want to lean down to 80 kg before mid august, when school responsibiltities will restrict my workout schedule.

I'm hoping that by leaning down to 80kg i'll be able to control my diet enough to fuel further strength gains and still stay below or in range of 82.5 kg to compete there in the spring.

So yesterday, in my efforts to lean down, i started meltdown 1 and it killed me. By the end of the P.M. session, i was exhausted and frankly just sick, even with a slight calorie surplus for the day. My sleep was on and off and frankly worse than when before i deloaded.

My question is this:
Should i continue through meltdown and hit day 2 workout in a couple hours or should i consider an alternative?

I've thought up an alternative that seems promising so, the second part of the question is whether i should use the following schedule instead:

Week 1+2
Day 1: TBT
Day 2: Light Cardio
Day 3: TBT
Day 4: Light cardio
Day 5: TBT
Day 6: Light Cardio
Day 7: Off

Week 3+4
Day 2: Light Cardio
Day 4: Light Cardio
Day 6: Running Man(IBUR)

Week 5+6
Day 2: Running Man(IBUR)
Day 4: Light Cardio

Week 7+8
Day 2: Running Man(IBUR)
Day 4: Running Man(IBUR)

I'll of course be progressing in TBT and Running Man as layed out by the respective authors.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

I wouldnt suggest meltdown training if you have a not to distant goal of powerlifting. It doesnt have much of anything to maintain maximal strength and I tried it for a short period of time to trim some bulking gut and lost alot of strength in a few weeks.

This is just my personal opinion.

If TBT still has you lifting moderatly heavy loads it probly won't hurt you long term goals t