T Nation

Melatonin/ZMA Question

I’ve used both melatonin and ZMA (from Biotest so I know it’s good)but I still found myself waking during the night. I was hesitant to go over the recommended dosage, but I need to start getting better sleep. If it helps, I’m six one and weigh about 190 right now

[quote]depeter wrote:
I’ve used both melatonin and ZMA (from Biotest so I know it’s good)but I still found myself waking during the night. I was hesitant to go over the recommended dosage, but I need to start getting better sleep. If it helps, I’m six one and weigh about 190 right now[/quote]

Set a specific bed time and get in bed at the same time every night until it’s habit. Put your body on a schedule and I think you’ll sleep better.

1. Yes, a schedule is good; however, if you dont fall asleep within 15 minutes, dont lie in bed and toss and turn. Get out of bed and read something light (a muscle mag, not Heidegger).

2. Dont eat sweets or drink alcohol at night. When your blood sugar plummets after such consumption, you will be awakened in the middle of the night.

3. Especially that it is now Summmer (provided you are in the Northern Hemisphere), get plenty of morning sunlight and evening sunlight. For someone waking up early, evening sunlight is more important.

4. If you do wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to bed, follow number 1 again, get out of bed and do something. Dont lay there and toss and turn. What happens is a lot of people get anxiety about not being able to sleep and there then becomes a psychological association between bed and not being able to sleep.

5. Hide the damn alarm clock. People get anxious when they cant sleep and look at the alarm clock every 5 minutes. Get it out of your sight.

6. Think about going to sleep later. For example go to bed a couple of hours later than usual and see if you sleep until your desired wake-time. Once you have been succesful at this. Slowly move your bed-time back in 15 or 30 minute increments.

Let’s say you need to get up at 6:30 AM.
Right now, you are going to bed at 11:00PM and awakening at 3 AM. Try going to bed at 1:00 AM and see if you can sleep through until 6:30. If you can, then try going to sleep at 12:45 for a few nights…and so on and so forth.

1. Are you depressed? If this is an ongoing problem, you need to entertain that it might be the result of depression.

2. Also, what works for one person does not work for another. For example, a lot of people have success with zinc/magnesium before bed. Magnesium works well, but I get heart palpitations when I take zinc before bed. I cant imagine the reason for this latter. I take zinc in the morning and it doesnt have that affect. Go figure.

Most people fall asleep after sex…I, on the other hand, cant sleep afterwards and am highly charged.

1. How do I know all this shit? I dont have a background in medicine, but I suffered from a similar problem and took an 8 week class in Sleep at Stanford University Hospital, which has one of the best Sleep study programs and sleep laboratory in the world.

Thanks a lot man. I’ll give that stuff a go

A “stack” of melatonin + ZMA + kava-kava worked pretty well for me a while ago. I don’t need it anymore, but it’s good to know.

[quote]entheogens wrote:

1. Yes, a schedule is good; however, if you dont fall asleep within 15 minutes, dont lie in bed and toss and turn. Get out of bed and read something light (a muscle mag, not Heidegger).

2. Dont eat sweets or drink alcohol at night. When your blood sugar plummets after such consumption, you will be awakened in the middle of the night.

3. Especially that it is now Summmer (provided you are in the Northern Hemisphere), get plenty of morning sunlight and evening sunlight. For someone waking up early, evening sunlight is more important.

4. If you do wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to bed, follow number 1 again, get out of bed and do something. Dont lay there and toss and turn. What happens is a lot of people get anxiety about not being able to sleep and there then becomes a psychological association between bed and not being able to sleep.

5. Hide the damn alarm clock. People get anxious when they cant sleep and look at the alarm clock every 5 minutes. Get it out of your sight.

6. Think about going to sleep later. For example go to bed a couple of hours later than usual and see if you sleep until your desired wake-time. Once you have been succesful at this. Slowly move your bed-time back in 15 or 30 minute increments.

Let’s say you need to get up at 6:30 AM.
Right now, you are going to bed at 11:00PM and awakening at 3 AM. Try going to bed at 1:00 AM and see if you can sleep through until 6:30. If you can, then try going to sleep at 12:45 for a few nights…and so on and so forth.

1. Are you depressed? If this is an ongoing problem, you need to entertain that it might be the result of depression.

2. Also, what works for one person does not work for another. For example, a lot of people have success with zinc/magnesium before bed. Magnesium works well, but I get heart palpitations when I take zinc before bed. I cant imagine the reason for this latter. I take zinc in the morning and it doesnt have that affect. Go figure.

Most people fall asleep after sex…I, on the other hand, cant sleep afterwards and am highly charged.

1. How do I know all this shit? I dont have a background in medicine, but I suffered from a similar problem and took an 8 week class in Sleep at Stanford University Hospital, which has one of the best Sleep study programs and sleep laboratory in the world.[/quote]

Thanks for that!! I have had sleep problems my whole life and the more info I have the better, again thanks.