T Nation

Megadeth: United Abominations

I just picked up Megadeth’s new album last night and have to say I am very impressed. It’s got a typical Megadeth sound, some excellent solos, and some strong themed lyrics. The current Megadeth lineup is solid and they’ve produced something much better than I was expecting.

I’d give it 4 stars.

The reviews I have read on it are giving it big praise too.

I’m just wondering what the other metal fans are thinking about it.

Also, what are the thoughts on the remake of A Toute Le Monde?

I don’t have this album yet. The System has Failed suggests that UA is well worth buying. Additionally, I saw Megadeth the other night and they were phenomenal. They played the title track and “Washington’s Next” from that newest album (but speaking as a dedicated mosher, the highlights of the show were “Wake Up Dead,” “Holy Wars” and “Tornado of Souls.” I missed the moshing for “Symphony of Destruction.” :frowning: ) Mustaine really recovered from his “hand injury.”

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
I don’t have this album yet. The System has Failed suggests that UA is well worth buying. Additionally, I saw Megadeth the other night and they were phenomenal. They played the title track and “Washington’s Next” from that newest album (but speaking as a dedicated mosher, the highlights of the show were “Wake Up Dead,” “Holy Wars” and “Tornado of Souls.” I missed the moshing for “Symphony of Destruction.” :frowning: ) Mustaine really recovered from his “hand injury.”[/quote]

It’s worth buying.

I saw them last October when they were in Aus with Gigantour and I agree that they are sounding exceptional at the moment.

Not wanting to get into a pissing contest but they have put down a serious challenge to the new Metallica album due out soon.

If Dave can hold this group together I think metal fans will be in for some solid work.

[quote]Man O’ War wrote:

Not wanting to get into a pissing contest but they have put down a serious challenge to the new Metallica album due out soon.

If Dave can hold this group together I think metal fans will be in for some solid work.[/quote]

That’s pretty much always the concern with Mustaine’s lineups. Pretty good metal and talent in all of them (even though some producers tried to ruin a some of their albums w/slower tempos etc…cough cough).

Longevity is always the issue. As a side note, I’m a huge fan of Savatage and Al Pitrelli (his guitarist on “World needs a Hero”). I imagine you’re familiar with them, but if not, check them out. They’re in a pretty different vein from Megadeth, but amazing nonetheless. And Pitrelli is awesome live.

Also, are you in reality a ManOWar fan? Cause if so, that’s sweet.

I forgot to add, Pitrelli’s musci background is solid–toured with Alice Cooper during '89-93 and attended Berklee for a while.

I like Mustaine…no adore Mustaine a lot, but I don’t think I’m going to listen to this new album, their single or whatever with the woman in the show, just sucks imo, I did like some parts on TSHF i.e. Kick the Chair, but I doubt I’ll pick it up unless someone reasons with me otherwise

[quote]Man O’ War wrote:
Not wanting to get into a pissing contest but they have put down a serious challenge to the new Metallica album due out soon.[/quote]

I love a good pissing contest and would be happy to substitute for you, should any naysayers appear.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
Man O’ War wrote:

I love a good pissing contest and would be happy to substitute for you, should any naysayers appear.[/quote]

The new Metallica is gonna’ blow.

The new remake of A Tout le Monde is awesome IMO. Lacuna Coil’s front singer is a great addition to the song!

[quote]bwl2win wrote:
The new remake of A Tout le Monde is awesome IMO. Lacuna Coil’s front singer is a great addition to the song![/quote]

I have definetly come around to it. The first minute of the song had me saying “What has he done?” and the rest of it was great.

I’ve listened to it a fair few times now and think he’s done an awesome job.

Agree on the chick from Lacuna Coil too!