T Nation

Mega Dosing Fish Oil, Cycling?

Been mega dosing fish oil for a while now a tablespoon in the morning and a tablespoon at night for close too 6 weeks, do I need to cycle the amount I take in or is 30 grams a day not going to harm me in the long run?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I take 3 tbsp per day plus 12 fish oil caps and I sleep very well. Where did you hear this?

Nose bleeds are the first thing I notice when taking too much fish oil for too long.

As long as you’re not experiencing them or any other negative symptoms, I wouldn’t worry about cycling.

I imagine there are folks in the world whose diet consists of a lot more fish each day than you’re ingesting in supplement form. Unless you’re sporting gills, i wouldn’t worry too much.

S

you need that omega 3 every day for the rest of your life

so no i see no point in “cycling” it, just take a lot all the time

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I imagine there are folks in the world whose diet consists of a lot more fish each day than you’re ingesting in supplement form. Unless you’re sporting gills, i wouldn’t worry too much.

S
[/quote]

Agreed. That’s really not a lot of fish oil.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Agreed. That’s really not a lot of fish oil.

[/quote]

just wanted to check incase there was something I didn’t know, Before this I was taking in 15 grams a day.

Haven’t experienced any insomnia

I was taking 15-20g a day last summer whie dieting, and to be honest, I think I retained alot more LBM than I ever had before on a caloric deficit.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I was taking 15-20g a day last summer whie dieting, and to be honest, I think I retained alot more LBM than I ever had before on a caloric deficit.

S
[/quote]

Why do you think that is?

I’d be concerned with the long term blood thinning effects of mega dosing (over 20 grams).

If the effect you describe is common, though, I wonder how well mega dosing fish oil would stack with leucine and R-ALA?

Leucine for the increased muscle-protein synthesis, R-ALA for the better uptake of glycogen into muscle tissue. All supplements that people have reported good results using.

heres a fishoil question for ya…

i bought new fishoils recently…

they are something in the region of 60% EPA 18% DHA.

since most fishoils are usually around 15% EPA, does this make the ones i brought 4 times stronger than your average fishoil?

Cheers
Scott

i’m curious as well about these ‘long term blood thinning effects’. In fact, I’m going to google scholar right now to check it out. If you have an anecdote that you’d like to share, please don’t hesitate. Sometimes info like this is just hearsay and has no real evidence, scientific OR anecdotal.

Have any of you had invasive medical procedures done? Fish oil is something they point out for sure that you need to drop at LEAST a few days prior to the procedure. I was told even recommended to drop it a week in advance.

It is not hearsay; fish oil DOES thin the blood, even if slightly but I do not know how it does it and at what dosage this effect is observed.

High doses are also advised against for pregnant women and people on blood thinning meds like Heparin.

yes but i doubt anyone here is in chronic frequent need of surgery