Mega Dosing BCAAs

Each Biotest Tablet is 1.2g, 3 tablets = 3.6g

I have been taking 10g before and 10g after workouts. Also use 10g in my workout shakes whey protein. Add another 10g before bed and that is 40g, sometimes in a small time frame if I happen to train late. I do notice recovery is awesome and I feel great, a good boost of energy to start workouts. We’ll see after a few weeks if this equals some pounds of lean mass. If I was rich I would go through a bottle a week.

I don’t take them during workouts though, I don’t need another distraction and some people, like Dave Barr, have questioned the effectiveness of taking them during workouts. If you have taken them before they are still going to be in your system during your workout and then take them after and I think your covered.

Wow consuming 70g of BCAAs during my workout might require more effort than the workout itself

I’ve been getting numerous PMs, so I’ll post this here. Listen, there’s a reason why reputable companies like Biotest have chosen to make capsules, and it’s not because it’s cost-effective. BCAA powder does not taste particularly good. If you can’t deal with it and can’t doctor it, stick with the capsules. Maybe you can find a way to make it more palpatable. I’ve never bothered because the taste doesn’t bother me too much.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I’ve been getting numerous PMs, so I’ll post this here. Listen, there’s a reason why reputable companies like Biotest have chosen to make capsules, and it’s not because it’s cost-effective. BCAA powder does not taste particularly good. If you can’t deal with it and can’t doctor it, stick with the capsules. Maybe you can find a way to make it more palpatable. I’ve never bothered because the taste doesn’t bother me too much.[/quote]

Agreed. Suck it up you fucking pansies. If you can’t handle BCAAs + crystal light, you probably don’t train hard enough to warrant using them anyways.

I did 5-10g pre-workout, 40-45g during and a PWO shake (they give us gatorade nutrition shakes) during our 7 week winter workout regimen this year.

Recovery was increased dramatically both in between sets/exercises but also between workout days. Our workouts usually lasted around 1.5-2 hours as they always included agility or conditioning work along with a lift.

I gained 9 lbs overall but was tremendously leaner as well.

I used Supplement Direct BCAA powder or Sci-fit depending on which was in stock, both are comparatively inexpensive.

I mixed the unflavored powder with crystal lite or powerade. I had to bring 2 bottles b/c it doesn’t dissolve worth a shit. You get used to the taste fairly quickly.

In short High Doses of BCAA’s increase power output and shorten recovery time they’ll also decrease muscle breakdown meaning a bigger you. I always use a BCAA’s/Glutamine mix like ICE pre and during workout.

Though their is evidence to suggest that they increase insulin secretion so if your trying to lean out mainly keep use on the lower side or just use them around your workouts as opposed to mega dosing.

I just calculated my dosage to about 40g a day, how long does one use a mega dose protocol?

[quote]MetalMX wrote:
In short High Doses of BCAA’s increase power output and shorten recovery time they’ll also decrease muscle breakdown meaning a bigger you. I always use a BCAA’s/Glutamine mix like ICE pre and during workout.

Though their is evidence to suggest that they increase insulin secretion so if your trying to lean out mainly keep use on the lower side or just use them around your workouts as opposed to mega dosing.[/quote]

Insulin secretion can’t be very high with BCAA’s. It’s not like sugar. And since it’s being taken peri-workout, wouldn’t you agree that a rise in insulin is a good thing? Insulin is what helps cart the very stuff your ingesting to you muscles. And insulin is not going to store BCAA’s as fat so I don’t quite understand the “leaning out” statement.

I would imagine on a very low carb diet insulin spikes from BCAA’s during/after a workout would be a good thing. Especially if the dextrose/maltodextrin in a PWO drink hase been eliminated to reduce carb intake. Thoughts?

cueball

Luecine is one of th eBCCAs and produces an insulin response, and enhances the insulin response of carbohydrate.

I don’t see the problem with using a large amount of BCAAs peri workout while trying to lose fat. I introduced BCAAs peri workout during the last two weeks or so of my last cut. I did not notice an effect on my fat loss. I see the insulin response while supplying ample nutrients for short periods of time post workout as a benefit.

[quote]2thepain wrote:
All of the powders I have taken before tasted horrible, even when mixed with food products. What type of powder did you use and how did you go about taking it?

You are exactly right, 4lbs of muscle gained for an experience natural lifter = very solid results.
[/quote]

Scivation’s Extend is a great product and tastes great.

[quote]New Damage wrote:

Agreed. Suck it up you fucking pansies. If you can’t handle BCAAs + crystal light, you probably don’t train hard enough to warrant using them anyways.[/quote]

LOL – Sad but true.