Meeting Protein Goals Weekly Rather Than Daily?

Any experience on how well this works? Often I have no trouble exceeding 1gm/lb of protein per day over the course of the week. However, due to living with my family at the moment, I am slightly restricted on meals.

Some days I will be able to dramatically exceed my daily protein targets, but other days I will struggle to get above about .8gms/lb. Over the course of a week, I am always in a surplus rather than a deficit. Is this likely to make a significant difference, or is it really a minor detail?

These things are extremely individualistic.

There are some guidelines, and some studies showing A or showing B. You can read those, and draw conclusions.

I think the best thing you can do is ask yourself, or tell us, how do YOU think that type of structure has affected your strength and/or size? Are you not gaining size? Are you fatigued?

Honestly, I think it would be better for you to simply remove the concern of 0.8gms/lb by supplementing, then you don’t have to worry about it at all, and you will know that you are feeding your body enough nutrients to grow.

I think so because I know human beings are prone to mistakes, and If I had to guess, then I’d guess you aren’t in a surplus every week. I could be wrong and you could be weighing your macros, is that so?

In conclusion, I think it’s better to be safe than sorry.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

There are some guidelines, and some studies showing A or showing B. You can read those, and draw conclusions.

I think the best thing you can do is ask yourself, or tell us, how do YOU think that type of structure has affected your strength and/or size? Are you not gaining size? Are you fatigued?

Honestly, I think it would be better for you to simply remove the concern of 0.8gms/lb by supplementing, then you don’t have to worry about it at all, and you will know that you are feeding your body enough nutrients to grow.

I think so because I know human beings are prone to mistakes, and If I had to guess, then I’d guess you aren’t in a surplus every week. I could be wrong and you could be weighing your macros, is that so?

[/quote]

Unless you are going into competition or something, just eating a lot of whole foods, in a balanced manner, will get you where you want to go.

In general, each of my meals/snacks consists of 2 servings of protein, 0-2 serving of carbs, 1-2 servings of fat, and 1-2 servings of veggies, 5-6 times/day.

Seems to be working the best of anything I’ve tried and I don’t have to get my excel sheet out. And it’s super easy to make adjustments if it’s not working.

Over the arbitrary span of 7 days,

if you technically ate in surplus,deficit,surplus,deficit but by the end of the week ended up in a surplus, then technically, you should be gaining weight.

Is that optimal? No.

If it isn’t optimal, then it feels like it’s a waste of time/potential/hardworkIntheGym, you know?

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[/quote]

I am noticeably more tired, but then I am gaining weight, and seeing a visible decrease in bodyfat. I started tracking my diet for the first time at end of September. By that I mean being as precise as possible with my food, without going as far as weighing it. I have tracked every meal though, and extrapolated from the nutritional guidelines what my macros are. After tracking my diet for 3 weeks, I realised mid October that I had been in a calorie deficit. I had been averaging around 1800-2000 calories a day.

Consequently, I added a full cup of oats made with milk and cream, two more eggs, and another 40g shake to my diet, as well as some more nuts. I am now averaging 2700-2900 per day. This week I have been consistently 2lbs heavier than I was 6 weeks ago, with visibly more definition between my middle and lower abs. So, by eating more generally I have lost more weight, and kick started some muscle building. My weight had plateau’d significantly for much of the year. Adding ‘good’ carbs in the form of porridge seems to have made a significant difference.

[quote]HGStripe wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[/quote]

I am noticeably more tired, but then I am gaining weight, and seeing a visible decrease in bodyfat. I started tracking my diet for the first time at end of September. By that I mean being as precise as possible with my food, without going as far as weighing it. I have tracked every meal though, and extrapolated from the nutritional guidelines what my macros are. After tracking my diet for 3 weeks, I realised mid October that I had been in a calorie deficit. I had been averaging around 1800-2000 calories a day.

Consequently, I added a full cup of oats made with milk and cream, two more eggs, and another 40g shake to my diet, as well as some more nuts. I am now averaging 2700-2900 per day. This week I have been consistently 2lbs heavier than I was 6 weeks ago, with visibly more definition between my middle and lower abs. So, by eating more generally I have lost more weight, and kick started some muscle building. My weight had plateau’d significantly for much of the year. Adding ‘good’ carbs in the form of porridge seems to have made a significant difference. [/quote]

That’s great info. It sounds like you got things on lock, so you really should just continue with your progress! You could definitely benefit from eating even more though. Worst case scenario is that you gain a little fat, then eat less, lose the fat.

If you are tired, that could be for several reasons, including nutrition, sleeping, and medical issues.

How’s your sleep quality?

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]HGStripe wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[/quote]

Consequently, I added a full cup of oats made with milk and cream, two more eggs, and another 40g shake to my diet, as well as some more nuts. I am now averaging 2700-2900 per day. This week I have been consistently 2lbs heavier than I was 6 weeks ago, with visibly more definition between my middle and lower abs. So, by eating more generally I have lost more weight, and kick started some muscle building. My weight had plateau’d significantly for much of the year. Adding ‘good’ carbs in the form of porridge seems to have made a significant difference. [/quote]

That’s great info. It sounds like you got things on lock, so you really should just continue with your progress! You could definitely benefit from eating even more though. Worst case scenario is that you gain a little fat, then eat less, lose the fat.

If you are tired, that could be for several reasons, including nutrition, sleeping, and medical issues.

How’s your sleep quality?
[/quote]

Thanks for the continued input and enthusiasm!

Sleep has been poor this week. I have managed to spend 8 hours in bed a night at least, but I have been fairly wakeful, and on waking I have found it difficult to get back to sleep. I would say I have probably still managed at least 6 hours total even on my worst night.

I think one factor may be that I am overdue a deload. I have been running 5/3/1, and making significant progress week on week across all my lifts. I have also stepped up my conditioning. It has been 10 weeks since my last deload, and I think I am feeling the pace a bit. I plan to only train two days next week, and just get in there and hit the basic reps, and get out.

You can deload, you cannot deload, it’s completely up to.

However, that is ignoring your problem and trying to put a “Band-aid” on it.

By your logic, you will be de-loading every two weeks.

Why? Because the problem is that you are working harder than ever, stepping up conditioning,

but that means that you need to step up recovery and diet too…

Just like you identified that your diet might not be up to par to all the hard-work you’re putting it, now you need to scrutinize your sleeping.

Find ways on how to improve sleep quality, as well as having a minimum of 7 hours of sleep, consistently. So not , 5 then 8 then 5 then 8 :stuck_out_tongue:

A few of my friends have purchased “ZMA” supplement pills and they say it helps their sleeping very much. You could check that out.

Here is some more info on it : ZMA (supplement) - Wikipedia

It seems harmless to me.