Meet Prep (Central Florida Open Championships)

Yeah I am going to be going very conservative on openers as i’ve never competed before.

That was basically a tng rep. And you need to watch your butt lift. If I were you I would open with 315 at most. I went into a comp hitting 375 cleaner with a pause and opened 325

Lol alright thank you

Week 6. Ended with a 500lb poverty deadlift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKjcW569B9w

Squat and DL are good, I believe. But beware of locking the knees tight on the pull and then softening them at lockout.

I would red light your bench.

1 Like

Can I ask why you wear wrist wraps for your pull? You’re definitely not the first I’ve seen to do it just the first I happen to ask. Are they just super tight for grip?

I feel like my 465 was a bit more convincing on squat depth than the 475 but yes bench is a clear red light for butt. Whenever I get above 350 i try to go overboard with leg drive and it comes up, I feel like the more time I spend under heavy weight it’ll get better. Just still new to pausing

Yeah that is all, helps the fingers want to stay balled up in a fist

Ass way off the bench. you will bomb out if you do not correct that…

The first squat was good the second squat at 475 I would want to go down another inch… it looks like you hit parallel but dont break it… you dont wanna leave it in the hands of usapl judges.

I went back and watched your squats. Your first was clearly good, as Mastodon said. But your second is so close it could go either way. I always tell people to sink their opener convincingly deep. As a USAPL ref, I mentally note if someone’s opener is tight on depth and watch it closely on subsequent attempts.

Regarding your bench, you need to open with something light enough that you can keep your ass down. It would also be good to slow down the hold at the top, pause on the chest, and hold at the top before re-racking. It always feels much longer to me on the platform. You’ll have to work on how to preserve leg drive without lifting your ass. It’s a common dilemma.

Thanks for the feedback guys I will definitely be focusing on all of it before and during the meet. I’m going to decide my openers early next week and obviously post up videos of the meet when I go.

Okay so need some advice on the week leading into my meet. I’ve seen a lot of debate on whether you should stay in the 90% 4-5days before or if you should just take the whole week off and relax/stretch etc. My plans were This week Thursday/Fri/Sat hit 3 singles with each of my projected openers which I have done. Then next week (Week of comp, day being sunday) I was going to hit 2 singles with my projected second attempts on Tues/Wed/Thurs organization being Sq/Dl/Bench. Any advice would be appreciated on how I should go about it

I pull a fast single with about my second attempt a week out. Squat I go up to about my second attempt 3-4 days out. And bench hit my opener maybe a liltle more for a single about 3 days out. All lifts are warm up hit it as fast as possible and move on. But that is the last heavish days. Then I will squat light and bench light cause I’m used to very high freq

This type of routine is what I feel like my body would respond to better just wasn’t sure how regular this was practiced. Thank you for the feedback.

3 singles with each of my projected openers. 2nd single of each lift shown

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH7-F2YA2eS/?taken-by=thareal56

1 Like

Those looked really nice compared to the previous. With the squat tho there is like 40% chance that there will be an asshole judge who thinks that isn’t below parallel.

The bench is nice. The DL is nice also.

1 Like

Yeah my squat depth still worries me a bit, going to just go in and adjust accordingly after the opener. Depth on squat/butt down on bench and standing straight up instead of leaning back to avoid soft knees on the deadlift lockout are my major cues at the moment going in to the meet.

Get the straps off the thumbs for all lifts.

Squat depth still looks a little tight to me.

Bench and DL look good.

Nice work. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Oooh, thank you for that I thought they only had to be off for the bench. I would have been screwed haha