Meditation

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Nope… but i mite look into it, and pick up some tampons while i’m out…[/quote]

badass

[quote]Jed Sanders wrote:

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I got good at meditation in college. Good in the sense that I was able to shut my mind down and sit calmly for 30-45 minutes without a whole lot of thought, up to 2 times a day.

If something popped into my mind, I would let it go, and if I couldn’t calm down, I just sat through it. If I fell asleep, I fell asleep and tried again the next day.

I didn’t become enlightened or anything of the sort. However, I did regularly experience my visual field turn green or blue, then compress into a little ball, and shoot off into the distance. This was a continual thing, a ball forming and shooting off into the distance repeatedly, and when it happened I knew I was into my meditative state.

It took a couple years of consistent practice to be able to get there consistently, however I did get a benefit from it right away and had some good experiences shortly after starting.

It was awesome stuff, and its the one thing I wish I kept practicing.

[/quote]
what good experiences and benefits did you have? and can you get that deep into meditation by using the “observing your breathing” technique?

and DebraD you mentioned visualization, can anyone explain what exactly that is?
thanks for the replies everyone
[/quote]

Sometimes when I can’t sleep, I’ll lay on my pillow just right so I can “hear” my pulse if you know what I mean. I think its the artery in your neck pumping against the pillow. Then I’ll control my breathing and try to get my pulse as slow as possible. Knocks me out in 5 minutes and I feel a lot better when I wake up.

what good experiences and benefits did you have? and can you get that deep into meditation by using the “observing your breathing” technique?

My primary technique was pretty much sitting indian style, with my back straight, and head slightly nodded forward, with my mouth pursed and tongue on the top of my mouth behind my teeth. My hands were the traditional style, with left hand on top of right, palms up. I usually had some sort of back support, usually sitting on my bed with my back against the wall.

I would just sit there controlling and focusing on my breath. Every once in awhile I would use a hemi-sync free flow tape, which is supposed to tune your brainwaves to slower levels.

I was much less stressed and more in tune with things. I had lucid dreams regularly, and some of that was due to practice. Check out the book ‘Tibetan Yogis of Dream and Sleep’, which I practiced too. I did notice some very strange sychnronicities and such. I won’t talk about it here, but I had some very strange coincidences. I remembered my dreams 90% of the time, too, even if I didn’t acheive lucidity.

I can’t meditate at all. Damn my ADHD!!

[quote]theuofh wrote:

My primary technique was pretty much sitting indian style, with my back straight, and head slightly nodded forward, with my mouth pursed and tongue on the top of my mouth behind my teeth. My hands were the traditional style, with left hand on top of right, palms up. I usually had some sort of back support, usually sitting on my bed with my back against the wall.

I would just sit there controlling and focusing on my breath. Every once in awhile I would use a hemi-sync free flow tape, which is supposed to tune your brainwaves to slower levels.

I was much less stressed and more in tune with things. I had lucid dreams regularly, and some of that was due to practice. Check out the book ‘Tibetan Yogis of Dream and Sleep’, which I practiced too. I did notice some very strange sychnronicities and such. I won’t talk about it here, but I had some very strange coincidences. I remembered my dreams 90% of the time, too, even if I didn’t acheive lucidity.[/quote]
Thanks! Thats pretty much what I have been trying too, even though after a couple of minutes I usually find that my mind has wandered off to to think about everything except my breathing.