Medicine Ball Slams/Throws Weight

I’ve been following this 5/3/1 variation for a while and really enjoy it. Up to until yesterday, however, I haven’t been doing the ball slams and throws. I picked up a 6 pound medicine ball yesterday before the strength workout, slammed it for 15 reps, and felt my member tingle a little, so I’ll stick with them.

However, is 6 pounds enough? I’m pretty sure Wendler prescribed them for speed and explosive training and the weight didn’t slow me down. I tried the same exercise with the 10 pound ball and felt like it was slowing my slams down and I couldn’t be as explosive as I wanted. I can see using a 10-20 pound ball for strength training, but I don’t think that’s the point.

Enlighten me.

Forgot the link:

[quote]pattay712 wrote:
I’ve been following this 5/3/1 variation for a while and really enjoy it. Up to until yesterday, however, I haven’t been doing the ball slams and throws. I picked up a 6 pound medicine ball yesterday before the strength workout, slammed it for 15 reps, and felt my member tingle a little, so I’ll stick with them.

However, is 6 pounds enough? I’m pretty sure Wendler prescribed them for speed and explosive training and the weight didn’t slow me down. I tried the same exercise with the 10 pound ball and felt like it was slowing my slams down and I couldn’t be as explosive as I wanted. I can see using a 10-20 pound ball for strength training, but I don’t think that’s the point.

Enlighten me.[/quote]

You are correct. It isn’t the point. The slams/throws are to help the body be explosive. It teaches/helps/primes the body to activate all at once, and as a unit.

Also, don’t sweat the small stuff. If all you had was the 10 pounder, than it wouldn’t make a difference in the long run. Just get them in and then get in the gym.

[quote]pattay712 wrote:

Enlighten me.[/quote]

You are correct. It isn’t the point. The slams/throws are to help the body be explosive. It teaches/helps/primes the body to activate all at once, and as a unit.

Also, don’t sweat the small stuff. If all you had was the 10 pounder, than it wouldn’t make a difference in the long run. Just get them in and then get in the gym.

Got it. Thanks man.

Weight of the ball doesn’t really matter too much - as long as it is not too heavy. Too light is also a problem but not as frequent.

Do some real throws,not just slams. Slams are fine but only if you are stuck in a 8x8 bunker. That’s the last resort.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Weight of the ball doesn’t really matter too much - as long as it is not too heavy. Too light is also a problem but not as frequent.

Do some real throws,not just slams. Slams are fine but only if you are stuck in a 8x8 bunker. That’s the last resort.[/quote]

Sounds goods. I’ve been using the 10lb pound ball. Felt more natural after a few days, especially for the forward and overhead throws.

[quote]pattay712 wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

Do some real throws,not just slams. Slams are fine but only if you are stuck in a 8x8 bunker. That’s the last resort.[/quote]

Sounds goods. I’ve been using the 10lb pound ball. Felt more natural after a few days, especially for the forward and overhead throws.[/quote]

This is great - one day, people will fully grasp the importance of training like an athlete.

I’m kidding. This will never happen.