T Nation

Medicine Babies

http://www.france24.com/en/20110208-france-first-saviour-baby-donor-biotechnology-stem-cell-research-clamart-umut-fryman

cliff notes: baby conceived with the express purpose to donate his umbilical cord which contains the secret to saving his older siblings from a life requiring monthly blood transfusions.

the disease should be completely irrelevant if the procedure is successful

obviously, the problem is we might begin to see a world where some babies are "convenience babies" that are not perceived as humans but as medicine. In related news, China has begun to open state run "nursery's"

Are you comparing state run day-care to bioengineering?

it has begun

pulls glasses off in dramatic fashion

this has been done for a while now. If the kid is cared for who cares? if i found out i was born to save my brothers life, and i did, i wouldnt be upset, i would be pretty happy about that.

this probably wont persist too long though with therapeutic clonging and other stem cell treatments pan out

One of my mom's friends did this...one of their children had leukemia so they got pregnant for the baby's bone marrow, to potentially help their sick child. The child with cancer ended up passing away. The child they had might have been originally conceived under extenuating circumstances, but she wasn't seen as ' medicinal.' This was in the 90s...who knows where things will go, a far as your China reference, but like relentless said, I wouldn't be upset if that was my situation.

Agreed. I think NOT doing it is much worse. What would you think if you had a horrible disease and your parents could give you the cure but chose not to?

It is a disturbing trend.

Did you guys know that some couples accidentally have children!?!?!? Can you imagine the carelessness? The recklesness?

why is creating life and saving life at the same time disturbing?

There is discussion of creating babies to donate organs.

There is discussion of genetically engineering babies without brains to act as organ donors.

This is a disturbing trend.

Already happened.

it's not your kid so what's the problem?

LMAO!

Not saying this to be argumentative, just facilitate discussion, but how do you define life?
If something were born without a brain, is it alive? It may have been a group of living cells, but could you really call it a human life?

There is similar debate on this with anencephalic children.

Definition of death..."The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in 1980 formulated the Uniform Determination of Death Act. It states that: "An individual who has sustained either (1) irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions, or (2) irreversible cessation of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem is dead. A determination of death must be made in accordance with accepted medical standards." This definition was approved by the American Medical Association in 1980 and by the American Bar Association in 1981."

Drawing the line in the sand between what is permissible and what is not permissible is impossible. That is why I find the trend so disturbing.

We spend a fortune keeping the elderly alive for another week and then turn around and abort healthy babies.

Where does it all end up? It is like some scary science fiction books.