T Nation

Medicare: Right Up Until the End

AP-GfK Poll: Medicare doesn't have to be cut

WASHINGTON---They're not buying it. Most Americans say they don't believe Medicare has to be cut to balance the federal budget, and ditto for Social Security, a new poll shows.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ap_poll_retirement_insecurity

"Then, as the Baby Boomers start to retire in greater numbers and health care costs continue to rise, the situation will get even worse. By 2025, the amount of taxes we currently pay will only be enough to finance our health care programs--Medicare and Medicaid, Social Security, and the interest we owe on our debt. That's it. Every other national priority--education, transportation, even our national security--will have to be paid for with borrowed money."
--President Obama, George Washington University, April 2011

My theory? It's not that we don't buy it, it's that we don't care. We tell ourselves we don't buy it, convincing ourselves, so there's less guilt over destroying the lives of future citizens before they've even been born. We hope we to live as long as medically possible, finally giving up the ghost just before the whole damn thing comes crashing down. Meh, as long as I get mine before I check out. Where is the kindness and generosity in robbing the future for the present?

I think most Americans realize a tax increase will be necessary , IMO cutting the Military and the war on drugs should do it, It could be disinformation but they say if they undid Bush's tax cut , that would nearly
eliminate the present deficit

Of course. Let's reduce spending on a constitutionally mandated expenditure so we can continue bleeding ourselves dry for disastrous programs that we're never intended by our founders.

Don't know what to say pitt. When Obama can say that these etittlements obligations will devour everything (including all military spending and education) tax raises don't cut it.

I think the constitution requires National Defense , not World Domination

And we won't even be able to do that, or pay for education, and so on. We can't tax or grow our way out. We can't cut the military or legally smoke pot our way out. Enough. Obama's statment is only looking at 2025, and it just gets worse from there.

Do away with the Bush tax cuts, end the wars, cut defense, trim entitlements, and then step back and assess.

Exactly. The problem is though that everyone has their sacred cows and as a result, nothing gets done.

How about MEANS TEST entitlements instead? Does Warren Buffet need SS or Medicare?