T Nation

Medical School

Yo what up t-men. Bodybuilding and the iron game has transformed my life. Since im gonna go into medical school, i was wondering what kind of specialty would deal with weight lifting or bodybuilding. Thanks dawgs

Built: Sports Medicine. Keep in mind, however, that while the Specialty of Sports Medicine keeps up with the latest in exercise science, kinesiology, sports rehab, sports training etc. etc., there are many things that are “accepted” that simply are not the “cutting edge”. Medicine is VERY slow to change things. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Mufasa is not kidding. I am an…alternative minded MD who has been taking and reading about supplements for 20 years. Medicine is VERY slow to accept change. Aside from mentioning things that might help a coworker, I keep my mouth shut at work as the system is very conservative and not very supportive of new ideas. You may be very disappointed. In addition, the rite of passage that you will have to go through to get to where you want…is not pleasant.

I decided to sell exercise equipment. It is a lot of fun, and I get to talk about “cool toys” all day. Your background would help you sell by adding credibility to your recomendations. Just make sure you sell good equipment (I sell Cybex, True, and Hoist amoung other lines). You could also design equipment. That is what my brother is planning to do. He is going to get a masters in biomedical engineering to compliment his mechanical engineeering degree. One note. The fitness industry is filled with idiots. This is good because the cream rises to the top and becomes successful, but dealing with buffoons can get tiresome. If you need any contacts or have any questions let me know. That goes for all T-mag readers as well.

Also, look into Biomechanics. That would be a strong focus to take into a strength and conditioning job. But, the damn physics…

Or, you could drop out and just get Ace certified…

Built, I’m a med student and have wondered the same thing. Dr. Eric Serrano (who was interviewed in T-mag) has recommended sports medicine or gastroenterology to me. However, I think both of these require further training after residency (family medicine or internal medicine, respectively), so it’s a long haul. There is also a newer field called physiatry (rehab medicine) that might be interesting. As Scott said, there is VERY little support or interest in the medical community for new ideas in nutrition, supplementation, exercise, etc. The FDA food pyramid and walking on the treadmill is good enough for most people. I don’t want to discourage you, but be sure you know what you’re getting into. Talk to different physicians and see how they feel about their work and life in general. I can tell you that balancing med school with the T-man lifestyle (training, diet, women, etc) is challenging. And from what I’ve heard it gets much worse during the internship/residency. If you do end up taking the plunge, I suggest finding a mentor who you’d like to model your career after. Good luck!

Dude, I’m an almost 4rth year MD student, and let me tell you this: 1. Most of these people haven’t listed actual medical specialties, just areas of science. 2. If you want sports related MD specialites you can choose: a) Sports Medicine b) Physical Medicine and Rehab c) Orthopedic surgery 3. and most importantly…

Listen to me, man. Medicine and medschool breeds unhealthy living. I went into it also because of my intrest in fitness, etc only to find out that the most unhealthy thing you can do is go to med school /residency, and you usually only treat very sick people…not anyone like a bodybuilder. Now at some point you must make a decision: Do I want to WORK at what I like or do I want to DO what I like. I chose the latter, and am going into anesthesiology…so I will have plenty of time and cash to do what I want.

Think wisely about your descision.

Cannon

Dog I hope you have checked out the job market in anesth. before leaping. It was terrible and very suboptimal on the pay scale.

Hey Dog, what’s up? I’m starting my 3rd year next week, so I don’t really have much hands-on exposure to the different medical specialties yet. Does anybody actually go into anesthesiology because they’re interested in it? :wink: I’ve known so many people in the last couple years who’ve been drawn to it because of the lifestyle/money. Just curious…what didn’t you like about sports med, PM&R, and ortho?

Interesting posting we’ve got here. I personally would suggest going into Radiology. It’s a bitch from what I hear, you however get paid $1,000,000.00 a year. This guy who teaches at my cuzins Physio/Sports Injury/RMT school just got certified. The day he passed, he quit. If you like “HARD” work this is the field. There is no doubt you’ll get paid!!! A lot of people in this field like to help people so don’t let anyone know if you just there for the money.

Can anyone suggest a good Pre-Med to take??? I want to get into Medicine and out of Computers. Computers pays the bills but Medicine is a life long dream. I want a Pre-Med that isn’t too hard but sets up a good foundation for most of the bigger fields.

First, anesthesia job market is great, so is the “match” rate (ie getting into a residency). As far as do I really like it…yeah, I like the OR and medicine, and what you give the patient in terms of medicine you actually see take effect as opposed to managing someone’s diabetes where you have compliance issues, etc.

Why not ortho? I hate clinics and long term patient care. Remember, when you have patients that see you and only you for a problem, they will call you. This is work you have to do that you will not get paid for (time on the phone, etc).
Why not PMR? Just isn’t my thing, plus the pay is OK, but not the best. I have friends in it, and they like it a lot. Check it out.

Radiology? I personally feel this is a great specialty, but you're in a dark room all day, and it can be grating. I just didn't like it. Plus, there can be a lot of call.

And for BeaR—why is it a lifelong dream? Answer this question before you start. I thought it was mine, and it’s no DREAM let me tell you. It’s lots of work.