T Nation

Medical Researcher LOL

I am stunned

Haha let's all point and laugh at the med students!!

I will summarize it: Doctor discover toddler maths, rename it to his name and gets away with it in the medical community. big lol for me today

Toddler math?

Integration was invented/discovered by Leipnitz and Newton simultaneously as far as I remember.

Still, it is funny though that someone, gasp, found a way to determine, gasp, the area below a curve and noone notices that that was already done, and better, a couple of hundred years ago.

As a side note, it apparently was much more accurate than other "widely used methods" !?!

What the fuck did they do, toss a coin?

As a side note, it apparently was much more accurate than other "widely used methods" !?!

What the fuck did they do, toss a coin?

ITT: math majors venting frustration over MDs having cooler jobs, higher social status and better paychecks?

I learned it in 8th grade I think...

But to avoid the situation all any of them needed to do was have the briefest passing knowledge of what calculus is, not how to do it. Not knowing that there is a whole section of mathematics devoted to that problem with the commonality of a household name is fairly funny. Especially from smart people who are highly educated.

It's obvious the guy is really smart to invent numerical integrations, but he really didn't even do the smallest amount of cursory research to find out what was already out there.

yes that was meant as an exageration. Don't think I am presomptuous (like everyone should learn this at 12 years old or there dum) or anything like that.

Certain people in my undergrad program had a major beef with business majors because they didn't have class on Fridays, and could go out drinking Thursday night. I don't think is was EEs but some other type of engineers, as I never heard anybody talk about it but always say shit scribbled in the bathroom stalls.

At graduation, a large percentage of the engineers let out a very audible "BOO" when the business majors were called to stand for graduation. The business people all looked over like WTF why do you hate us so much.

I lol'd.

Where I went to school, getting a management degree meant you didn't make it in engineering. It may have been similar there.

Wow!

What an incredibly clever fool.

Ja, but you have to admit, re-inventing the wheel deserves a special place in the realm just between superfluous and awesome.

To expand on that, I would think that reinventing the wheel would only deserve such placement with awesomeness if they did something new and creative (kind of like the literal wheel reinvention where somebody put a triangle and a pentagon on a bike and had it move perfectly)

Linky: http://www.haohaoreport.com/WeirdChinaNews/A-new-bicycle-reinvents-the-wheel-with-a-pentagon-and-triangle

This is just doing the same thing and putting a different cover on it.

LULZ, jasmincar! Nice find.

At least over here you need to learn integration before you can even apply to med school. A lot of my classmates are scared of math though. But are prepared to take on pretty much any other challenge.

I think part of the problem is we're supposed to memorize so fucking much that some skills fade away.

The rectangle method is toddler math. Algebraic integration (especially inventing it) isn't.

Management is a joke degree in Business School as it is.

The usefulness of calculus in medical school is probably less than nothing. That said, as a clinical researcher you should know what you're doing or engage the help of someone that does.

As an addendum, with my limited knowledge of math I was still able to look at it and go, "Um...I don't think that's anything new."

LOL at this article.

Yeah, if you go to a party school or get your degree off of the back of a cereal box. Sadly, there are a lot of "business schools" that offer "Management degrees" that are like that. Mine wasn't. My program was heavily oriented towards analysis, planning, and ongoing process management. The only undergrads who took higher level statistics than we did were the mathematical science majors.

I had a roommate in college who doubled in Mech Eng. and Management and said that, comparatively, the Management classes were amongst some of the most challenging he had taken. Six of our "core classes" had a re-take rate of nearly 60% when I was there, and this isn't a community college we're talking about. It's a top 25 public university and one of the top Engineering schools in the Southeast.

When you can create a computer model to determine optimal decision inputs across a simulated 100,000 iterations of a purchasing decision with upwards of 50 variable factors in under an hour using Excel, then get back to me.

Okay, got back to you. :wink: I'm an Economics major, I had calc3 when I was in High School.

You do know that AP Calculus covered in high school is only Calc I in college? Unless you were far ahead of everyone else, I highly doubt you were taking Calc III. But keep trying to make yourself sound like a genius :slightly_smiling: