T Nation

Medial Delt Isolation Exercises Useless?

OT: Not everyone disagrees with this. Done heavy and consistently with progression within the first couple of years training, BB and nautilus are very effective to widen your lats. /end{hijack}

[quote]Kaizen514 wrote:
Well, for years people thought doing DB pullovers expanded their ribcage. Most now adamantly disagree with this.
[/quote]

[quote]Kaizen514 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
What exactly is your definition of “complete shoulder development”? Post picturtes of these DC guys who never do lateral raises but have HUGE lateral delts that match those of high level bodybuilders.

My mistake.

From the few DC articles I read I believed they shunned lateral raises because of the relatively limited potential to increase the load (at least compared to overhead pressing).

Professor X wrote:
Further, this isn’t about what other people do. Why in the world would someone who wants complete shoulder development AVOID training lateral delts directly?

Because I was under the impression the DC guys achieved their level of shoulder development without lateral raises. So the question revolved around if it was necessary to do so.

Now I find out they do lateral raises, so that pretty much answers my question.

[/quote]

Just because I always feel compelled to correct things about DC on this site…

Nothing is flat out avoided. You choose the lifts that YOU need to do, if heavy laterals 15-20RP really blow up your shoulders and are a key movement for you keep them in your plan. Someone who did

• Seated BTN Smith Press(top of ears) 15-20RP
  • Dumbbell Overhead Press 20-30RP
  • Slightly Cheated Laterals 15-20RP

along with their heavy chest work… barbell inclines and the like, and heavy pulls like rack deads and t bars… that guy will have zero holes in his shoulder muscularity unless he’s hit the genetic crap shoot.

Some guys can get huge round delts with overhead presses alone, some guys get huge round delts doing 3 sets of laterals. Some guys have terrible delts and they do every exercise in the book properly. If you need to do them… do them. In a DC context I like a wide grip upright row more than a lateral raise with long term progression in mind but people can do whatever they want if they feel strongly about it.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
pussy…get in the fucking squat rack and rip some lateral raises up[/quote]

Do you even know what lateral raises are? You wouldn’t need a squat rack that’s for sure. Next time don’t call someone a pussy when you sound ignorant.

Above all else this will come down to personal trial and error. BUT for ME, barbell, dumbbell and kettlebell shoulder presses have yielded far greater shoulder development than any lateral raise ever. The pre-exhaust technique does not work for me. I spent much of my early years lifting doing every kind of lateral raise possible, db, cable, lean-away, laying sideways on low incline bench, and on and on, etc…shoulders were a weak spot for me.

While I may have gotten some initial development and a “great pump”, I did not gain real size and width until I worked on really getting strong on barbell shoulder press. Once I felt I had brought my barbell shoulder press strength and development up I did for a time include some lateral raises after my pressing.

But now I only do pressing (and lots of rows and pull-ups on back days) for shoulders. I do lots of DB and cable rear delt flyes. Really it depends on how your body responds to movements and how your musculature develops. My traps are very strong, dominant and built up. I don’t need or want any more development there. When I do lateral raises my traps take over. For others it may be different…some people feel their triceps and upper chest “take over” in shoulder press movements.

I do know that pre-exhausting my delts with lateral raises significantly lowered my poundage on delt pressing movements. And finally I argue it can not be denied that heavy delt pressing movements are the cornerstone of shoulder boulders

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
browndisaster wrote:
pussy…get in the fucking squat rack and rip some lateral raises up

Do you even know what lateral raises are? You wouldn’t need a squat rack that’s for sure. Next time don’t call someone a pussy when you sound ignorant.[/quote]

Of course, you realize it was a joke and you, of course, are making a funny in return…right?

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

Do you even know what lateral raises are? You wouldn’t need a squat rack that’s for sure. Next time don’t call someone a pussy when you sound ignorant.[/quote]

/facepalm

[quote]giterdone wrote:
kylec72 wrote:
browndisaster wrote:

Do you even know what lateral raises are? You wouldn’t need a squat rack that’s for sure. Next time don’t call someone a pussy when you sound ignorant.

Of course, you realize it was a joke and you, of course, are making a funny in return…right?[/quote]

Uhhh, yeah, something like that.