Media in a Time of War

The following video contrasts the way war is depicted on US media and the rest of the world. It’s produced by the Hudson Mohawk independent media center.

It’s a 29mns long hard-hitting piece and they managed to get me weeping by the 20th minute…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6546453033984487696

What do you guys make of that blunt piece?

It’s produced by the Hudson Mohawk independent media center.

Who’s paying them? Every news organization has modivation and financial backing for everything they do, both Fox News and Hudson Mohawk. They did not make this video because they felt like it.

They made this video because they knew people like you would run out and buy it. And even if you didn’t buy it, you are now promoting their video company for FREE. So don’t tell me they didn’t get anything for making this.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:
Who’s paying them? Every news organization has modivation and financial backing for everything they do, both Fox News and Hudson Mohawk. [/quote]

As far as I know, independent media is financed thru voluntary public contributions. That may be hard for you to perceive, but there are people out there who have other priorities than becoming rich. Open-source being the most striking example of people sticking it to corporations.

Below is the mission statement of the Hudson Mohawk Independent Media Center

“The Independent Media Center is a global network of collectively run media outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of truth. We are motivated by a love and inspiration for people who work for a better world despite corporate media’s distortions and unwillingness to cover efforts to develop an egalitarian and sustainable society. The Hudson Mohawk Independent Media Center is a grassroots organization committed to using media production and distribution as tools for promoting social and economic justice in the Hudson Mohawk Area. We are dedicated to addressing issues that the mainstream media neglects and we do not conceal our politics behind a false objectivity. We will empower people to “become the media” by providing democratic access to available technologies and information.”

Since you brought up Fox, the following video is a MUST SEE.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8775995341064689390

Challenging notion isn’t it?

How do you think Wikipedia functions? The same applies here. You contribute money or time if you REALLY like what they do.

They are distributing the video freely and if you really want to help them, you send in a few bucks. But that has nothing to do with the way corporations force you to cough money BEFORE seeing a movie or listening to a CD.

On a related topic, you may wanna check this radio station that functions on the same principle.

That’s also why I read The Guardian, run Linux and licence all my work under the GPL or Creative Commons.

Darn! You tricked me into turning this into a copyright thread. Oh well…

[quote]lixy wrote:
That’s also why I read The Guardian, run Linux and licence all my work under the GPL or Creative Commons.[/quote]

Same here.

But I run hacked version of Server 2003. Their most expensive OS so far.

Who says Linux is the only free one?