Media/Government Diet F**kup #34234

[quote]Sorry Dr Atkins, eating LESS meat is the way to lose weight, results of five-year study show

By Paul Bentley
Last updated at 9:03 AM on 22nd July 2010

* Comments (27)
* Add to My Stories

Despite what Dr Robert Atkins says, eating less meat is the way to lose weight, a major study has discovered.

Keen meat-eaters were found to gain far more weight than those who had less meat in their diet - even when they consumed the same number of calories.

The findings suggest that people should eat less meat to stay healthy and that overweight people could lose weight by removing meat from their diets.

This contradicts the claims of many celebrity-endorsed diets, such as that of Dr Atkins, that promote eating high levels of protein and low levels of carbohydrate to lose weight.
Robert Atkins

No meat, no meal: Guru of low-carb, high-protein diets Dr Robert Atkins will be horrified that a new study advises reducing meat intake to lose weight

The results come from a major British research project that tracked the diets of hundreds of thousands of people in ten European countries.

The authors of the study, from Imperial College London, said their results �¢??do not support the theory that a high-protein diet prevents obesity or promoted weight-loss, contrary to what has been advocated�¢??.

The research team examined data from the Epic study, which looks at links between diet and cancer.

While many studies have suggested eating a lot of meat can lead to weight gain, it was thought that these people were also prone to other unhealthy activities, such as smoking, drinking and not doing enough exercise.
Salad

Food advice: Dietary experts suggest reducing meat and trying to eat pulses, beans, oily fish and a variety of vegetables and wholegrains

But the authors of the latest study say they have taken all these factors into account.

The team from Imperial College analysed dietary questionnaires filled out by more than 100,000 men and 270,000 women and weights taken before and after the five-year study.

They found that for every additional 250g of meat a person ate daily - the equivalent of a half-pound, or 450-calorie, steak �¢?? they would gain 4.4lb more weight over a five-year period.

The meat most strongly associated with weight gain was found to be poultry, followed by processed meats and red meat.

Those who ate processed meats, such as bacon and sausages, put on almost 5lb more over five years than those whose diets were relatively meat-free.

People from Denmark, Germany, Spain and Sweden were found to be the biggest meat-eaters, with men consuming around 300 calories worth of meat daily and women consuming 200 calories.

Greek people ate the least meat, with men eating about 200 calories a day and women 140 calories, according to the findings, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The team, led by Dr Anne-Claire Vergnaud, concluded: �¢??Our results are in favour of the public health recommendation to decrease meat consumption for health improvement�¢??.

Dr Vergnaud added that gaining an average of 4lb in five years �¢??could have an important effect from a population perspective�¢??.

Other dietary experts have, however, questioned the findings and the controversial suggestion that calories in meat could be more fattening than those in other foods.

They suggest some of the study�¢??s participants may have lied about their weights when filling in the questionnaires.

Sian Porter, spokeswoman for the British Dietetic Association, said: �¢??This is an interesting study and more research is needed. It may be that some of those involved underestimated their intake, which would have skewed the results.

Read more: Sorry Dr Atkins, eating LESS meat is the way to lose weight, results of five-year study show | Daily Mail Online
[/quote]

Un-fucking-believable. Not once is bodyfat or lean mass mentioned, its ALL about WEIGHT, BMI-tastic tardiness. It’s no wonder our fellow non-training civvies are all out of shape and diabetic.

Did they take into consideration activity level at all?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
Did they take into consideration activity level at all? [/quote]

Or the foods consumed with the meat, e.g., french fries and Coke…

Don’t get me started… this kind of backward shit is constantly touted in the news. The average person doesn’t get their RDA of protein at the best of times and this certainly won’t help.

This is the a funny bit: “a serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards” !!! What’s that? HALF a chicken boobie?

Bleh. We have a watch-dog agency to complain to when TV ads are misleading etc, we REALLY need one for when spurious nutrional guidance is given to the general public. So much power and consequence with absolutely fucking no moderation by or from anyone.

/headinhands

[quote]huscarl wrote:

This is the a funny bit: “a serving of meat should be the size of a deck of cards” !!! What’s that? HALF a chicken boobie?

[/quote]

While I agree the article is ridiculous, you can’t look at everything through the myopic lens of bodybuilding. That’s about 3 - 4 ounces of meat. How much protein do you think the average, completely sedentary person needs?

Not all that much, I assure you.

Whats this? Self-report studies with no control groups?

Maybe I should link this thread in the Bro-science thread as a perfect example of why purely anecdotal evidence is not reliable.

I find it amusing that in 2010 they are still conducting population surveys with questionaires and calling them “studies”. Not only that but using this data to derive actual numbers as if they were conducted in a lab-controlled environment: i.e. for every 250g of meat etc etc. We’ve seen it a million times and this is just yet another.

There’s no sense in picking apart the “study” because we probably have better things we should be doing. What I find interesting, however, is the supposed correlation with poultry and weight gain. But just for the hell of it I’d like to translate that part in regard to the non-bodybuilding average population. Poultry = deep fried chicken.