Media Bias?

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
At the most fundamental level the mass media is biased to those who own them, pure and simple. Forget labels like liberal and conservative - whatever they may be. The corporate media has virtually no interest in the public good unless it serves their interests. Arguing about liberal vs. conservative is a waste of time.[/quote]

You have obviously never worked in Journalism. I have. You are wrong. Flat out. Pure and simple. You are wrong and an idiot, as we know.

The journalists writing the stories take no cues from upstairs and they take pride in that. For an exec to call a reporter on the carpet for something he/she wrote…well…it’s considered very bad form and the guys that own the papers/media outlets are not going to do it. Best to ignore it. Hope it goes away. Or better yet, pretend it’s not there. Like you do. But you couldn’t find your ass with both hands.

THE NUMBERS say that there’s a liberal bias in the media. Do you only love the numbers when they say Bush lied and kids died?

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:
At the most fundamental level the mass media is biased to those who own them, pure and simple. Forget labels like liberal and conservative - whatever they may be. The corporate media has virtually no interest in the public good unless it serves their interests. Arguing about liberal vs. conservative is a waste of time.

You have obviously never worked in Journalism. I have. You are wrong. Flat out. Pure and simple. You are wrong and an idiot, as we know.

The journalists writing the stories take no cues from upstairs and they take pride in that. For an exec to call a reporter on the carpet for something he/she wrote…well…it’s considered very bad form and the guys that own the papers/media outlets are not going to do it. Best to ignore it. Hope it goes away. Or better yet, pretend it’s not there. Like you do. But you couldn’t find your ass with both hands.

THE NUMBERS say that there’s a liberal bias in the media. Do you only love the numbers when they say Bush lied and kids died? [/quote]

Gee, I am convinced by you for the first time in this forum.

ROTFLMFAO!

You have obviously never worked in Journalism. I have.[/quote]

Hack Wilson the hack writer?

I’m just kidding. For what school paper was it?

Zeppelin795 wrote:
At the most fundamental level the mass media is biased to those who own them, pure and simple. Forget labels like liberal and conservative - whatever they may be. The corporate media has virtually no interest in the public good unless it serves their interests. Arguing about liberal vs. conservative is a waste of time.

THE NUMBERS say that there’s a liberal bias in the media. Do you only love the numbers when they say Bush lied and kids died? [/quote]

Maybe what you say is true on Mars but back here on Earth nothing could be further from the truth.

Stories that become to dangerous for big business and/or politicans are killed all the time!

Occasionally these things do get printed but most of the time it is due to disagreements among the elite or competition between them. It has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and the media’s relentless pursuit of the truth.

Now don’t get me wrong there are good journalists out there but they know what they can and cannot get away with.

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:

THE NUMBERS say that there’s a liberal bias in the media. Do you only love the numbers when they say Bush lied and kids died?

Maybe what you say is true on Mars but back here on Earth nothing could be further from the truth.

Stories that become to dangerous for big business and/or politicans are killed all the time!

Occasionally these things do get printed but most of the time it is due to disagreements among the elite or competition between them. It has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and the media’s relentless pursuit of the truth.

Now don’t get me wrong there are good journalists out there but they know what they can and cannot get away with. [/quote]

Please tell us about all these stories getting killed to protect big business. How do you get such rich inside dope?

Zeppelin795 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:

Now don’t get me wrong there are good journalists out there but they know what they can and cannot get away with.

Please tell us about all these stories getting killed to protect big business. How do you get such rich inside dope?[/quote]

Did you ever wonder why GE, Westinghouse, Shell, etc. have commercials during the news that tell the viewing audience how great they are?

You can’t be that obtuse.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:

Please tell us about all these stories getting killed to protect big business. How do you get such rich inside dope?

Did you ever wonder why GE, Westinghouse, Shell, etc. have commercials during the news that tell the viewing audience how great they are?

You can’t be that obtuse.[/quote]

Damn. That’s brilliant! I guess I dreamed all that shit I read about Enron. I’ve never really read anything about the Nigerian boycott of the evil Shell Oil Company. Who would report it? I guess I misread that article that talked about how GE and GM have sent jobs overseas, screwing the American worker. I guess I’M the one who coined the phrases “Big Business” and “Big Tobacco”. Those are pro-business terms, you know. Never used in the press, either.

Here’s another hint: You don’t have to watch TV all the time. Read the newspaper. One other thing: Commercials are not the news. When the talking-head comes back on your screen, that’s when the news is back and the commercial is over.

YOU-ARE-A-FUCKING-IDIOT! STOP-WRITING-STUPID-THINGS-THAT-RATTLE-AROUND-IN-YOUR-EMPTY-HEAD.

Zeppelin795 wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Zeppelin795 wrote:

Please tell us about all these stories getting killed to protect big business. How do you get such rich inside dope?[/quote]

Look at the blackout from the media on genocide in East Timor back in the 70’s. The big military complex was making gigantic amounts of money selling arms to Indonesia. They used those arms to reach genocidal levels. We knew what they were doing and continued to sell them arms. Other countries sold Indonesia weapons as well. However, we were by far the largest contributor. During the hieght of aggression during the Carter Administration the main stream coverage fell to zero! In fact the Carter Admin. signed a bill to increase arms sales as the Indonesian army began to run out. Senator Moynihan actually was sent to the U.N. to kill any effectual measures by the U.N. designed to stop the murder. He did so and actually bragged about it in an autobiography.

This is but one example that happens to deal with a most heinous crime - genocide. If the mainstream media is willing to cover up genocide where does it stop?

Marmadogg wrote:

Damn. That’s brilliant! I guess I dreamed all that shit I read about Enron. I’ve never really read anything about the Nigerian boycott of the evil Shell Oil Company. Who would report it? I guess I misread that article that talked about how GE and GM have sent jobs overseas, screwing the American worker. I guess I’M the one who coined the phrases “Big Business” and “Big Tobacco”. Those are pro-business terms, you know. Never used in the press, either.

Here’s another hint: You don’t have to watch TV all the time. Read the newspaper. One other thing: Commercials are not the news. When the talking-head comes back on your screen, that’s when the news is back and the commercial is over.

YOU-ARE-A-FUCKING-IDIOT! STOP-WRITING-STUPID-THINGS-THAT-RATTLE-AROUND-IN-YOUR-EMPTY-HEAD.[/quote]

You never answered my question.

Where did you go to college?

Amazingly, these stories were held until just after the election:

Afghans are expressing optimism on the direction of their country:

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20061109/a_afghansurvey09.art.htm

Biggest decrease in trade deficit in five years:

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

YOU-ARE-A-FUCKING-IDIOT! STOP-WRITING-STUPID-THINGS-THAT-RATTLE-AROUND-IN-YOUR-EMPTY-HEAD.

You never answered my question.

Where did you go to college?[/quote]

Big East school. Not telling you which.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

Biggest decrease in trade deficit in five years:

[/quote]

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

[/quote]

That is good news for a change.

[quote]Biggest decrease in trade deficit in five years:

It is funny how this corresponds with a decrease in oil prices…ya feelin’ me?

i.e. The Taliban are back in control and oil prices decreased.

Tell us something we don’t know.