T Nation

Media Bias?

http://www.cmpa.com/documents/06.10.31.Study.pdf

Has the media offered a very skewed set of stories this year? Link above is interesting. Thoughts?

The studies can say whatever. I’ll go by what I see: Of course there is a liberal media bias. Having worked in journalism right out of college I saw it first hand and it’s there when I turn on the TV or ready ‘news stories’ in my local paper, USA Today, The New York Times, The LA Times, on down the line. I discount Op-Eds, of course. That’s opinion. So it’s cool.

Media bias exists not because of some grand conpiricy. It exists because you have folks of the same or similiar ideology coming together in a common vocation. It’s how they see the world. They (most of the MSM) are liberals. Individually and collectively. So the news is slanted left. They don’t see it. To them it’s just how the story should be told.

Go to any conservative who worked in journalism. Shit. Talk to a middle-of-the-road type person. Ask them their experience with most of their peers. That’ll tell you the story as it really is.

Hell, I didn’t need anykind of a study to prove that. Just listen to them. We get 5 minutes of news and 20 minutes of thier fucking opinion on it. That is why I quit watching. I don’t need them to tell me that gasoline in water is bad; something they had an “expert” confirm during Katrina, like nobody would know that.
They have the power to do what they want and tell us what is important. Millions dead in the Congo, not news; Run-away bride? Front fucking page. Mugabe razing poor peoples houses and “relocating” them to camps, not news. Tom Cruise’s fucking ugly kid, now that is important. Oh how about this, they won’t show the Mohamed cartoon, but they will happily show pictures of a desacrated crucifix, or the poo-poo Mary. Why?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Oh how about this, they won’t show the Mohamed cartoon, but they will happily show pictures of a desacrated crucifix, or the poo-poo Mary. Why?[/quote]

Well, mainly because the “dangerous right wing Christians” might piss and moan about it, but they won’t blow up a building or knock down a skyscaper like, say, ‘The Religion of Peace’.

Some people seem to be operating under the belief that the purpose of news program is to inform the public.

The purpose of news program is to get high ratings so that they can sell time slots to advertiser for a good price. If they manage to inform at the same time, then it’s cool, but it’s certainly not the main goal here.

That’s why you get the runaway bride and Tom’s runt. Sheeple love that stuff, they find it entertaining and will watch it for hours.

You want news? Get on the 'net and hunt for it.

Pat, while you are decrying the media, you have neglected to mention anything that actually sounds like an ideological bias… ?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Pat, while you are decrying the media, you have neglected to mention anything that actually sounds like an ideological bias… ?[/quote]

If you mean ideological bias in terms of political slant, I think it is obviously a left slant. I can give your for instances all day long, but I will spare you from link after link after link. Just pick your favorite mainstream news outlet and read the news today. It will be slanted just like the rest of it. They do it by amplifying the bad the right does and omitting anything good the right or, anybody else for that matter, the news actors may disagree with. So bottom line I believe the media slants left and I believe they do it through a combination of omission and emphasis. Omit what they do not want to report and emphasize what they want to report. I could go on for hours on the media. I consider them something vile not worthy of the sweat off my balls if they were thirsty. I only watch the news when there is something major going on, like Katrina. Even then with in a day or so they manage to blame it on the White House or Newt Gingrige of Karl Rove or the Pope. How many times have you heard the Cynthia McKinney?s congressional campaign were financed by militant Islamic wing of the ?new? Black Panthers, who has been know to send money to terrorist organizations such as Hamas? My guess is never. How many times have you heard the theory that Bush knew about 9-11 and allowed it to happen on purpose so he could drag the country in to war? Probably a thousand times, even though they report it?s not true they like to mention it over and over so that people actually may consider it a possibility. I know it?s not true, because I don?t think Bush is that smart. The media can lick my ass.

Sorry for the long post. I get riled up by the media shit.

The Center for Media and Public Affairs receives a majority of their funding from conservative entities.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Oh how about this, they won’t show the Mohamed cartoon, but they will happily show pictures of a desacrated crucifix, or the poo-poo Mary. Why?

Well, mainly because the “dangerous right wing Christians” might piss and moan about it, but they won’t blow up a building or knock down a skyscaper like, say, ‘The Religion of Peace’.[/quote]

What happened in Oklahoma City or the abortion center bombings?

They are not analogous but right wingnut Christians have blow up buildings in this country.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
vroom wrote:
Pat, while you are decrying the media, you have neglected to mention anything that actually sounds like an ideological bias… ?

If you mean ideological bias in terms of political slant, I think it is obviously a left slant. I can give your for instances all day long, but I will spare you from link after link after link. Just pick your favorite mainstream news outlet and read the news today. It will be slanted just like the rest of it. They do it by amplifying the bad the right does and omitting anything good the right or, anybody else for that matter, the news actors may disagree with. So bottom line I believe the media slants left and I believe they do it through a combination of omission and emphasis. Omit what they do not want to report and emphasize what they want to report. I could go on for hours on the media. I consider them something vile not worthy of the sweat off my balls if they were thirsty. I only watch the news when there is something major going on, like Katrina. Even then with in a day or so they manage to blame it on the White House or Newt Gingrige of Karl Rove or the Pope. How many times have you heard the Cynthia McKinney?s congressional campaign were financed by militant Islamic wing of the ?new? Black Panthers, who has been know to send money to terrorist organizations such as Hamas? My guess is never. How many times have you heard the theory that Bush knew about 9-11 and allowed it to happen on purpose so he could drag the country in to war? Probably a thousand times, even though they report it?s not true they like to mention it over and over so that people actually may consider it a possibility. I know it?s not true, because I don?t think Bush is that smart. The media can lick my ass.

Sorry for the long post. I get riled up by the media shit.[/quote]

Crying about the referee because you played poorly is pathetic.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Crying about the referee because you played poorly is pathetic.[/quote]

Huh? The media is a referee? What the flying fuck are you talking about?
I am not expounding the virtues of conservatism, I am saying the media has a political slant to the left. Is there any evidence to the contrary?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
The Center for Media and Public Affairs receives a majority of their funding from conservative entities.[/quote]

and Trojan gets the majority of it’s fumnding from fuckers. What’s that got to do with…anything?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Oh how about this, they won’t show the Mohamed cartoon, but they will happily show pictures of a desacrated crucifix, or the poo-poo Mary. Why?

Well, mainly because the “dangerous right wing Christians” might piss and moan about it, but they won’t blow up a building or knock down a skyscaper like, say, ‘The Religion of Peace’.

What happened in Oklahoma City or the abortion center bombings?

They are not analogous but right wingnut Christians have blow up buildings in this country.[/quote]

I didn’t realize Timmoty McVey was a Christian. Did he bomb OK in the name of God? The abortion center dude was clearly a nut, not a religiously sponsored terrorist.

Let’s see, what about the LA riots? Those who participated in that were mostly left-wing liberals were they not?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
The Center for Media and Public Affairs receives a majority of their funding from conservative entities.

and Trojan gets the majority of it’s fumnding from fuckers. What’s that got to do with…anything?[/quote]

George Soros funds Media Matters but they are not a left wingnut organization using your logic.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Hack Wilson wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Oh how about this, they won’t show the Mohamed cartoon, but they will happily show pictures of a desacrated crucifix, or the poo-poo Mary. Why?

Well, mainly because the “dangerous right wing Christians” might piss and moan about it, but they won’t blow up a building or knock down a skyscaper like, say, ‘The Religion of Peace’.

What happened in Oklahoma City or the abortion center bombings?

They are not analogous but right wingnut Christians have blow up buildings in this country.

I didn’t realize Timmoty McVey was a Christian. Did he bomb OK in the name of God? The abortion center dude was clearly a nut, not a religiously sponsored terrorist.

Let’s see, what about the LA riots? Those who participated in that were mostly left-wing liberals were they not?[/quote]

You are correct about McVeigh.

The nut that bombed abortion clinics did not act alone and his group claimed to be doing the work of God.

Citing the riots in LA just makes you look like a fool.

I threw out some names to get a discussion going…what is your excuse?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Citing the riots in LA just makes you look like a fool.

I threw out some names to get a discussion going…what is your excuse?[/quote]

Oh really how? Was it a conservative conspiracy? What are you trying to discuss? You’re not making a lick of sense.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Citing the riots in LA just makes you look like a fool.

I threw out some names to get a discussion going…what is your excuse?

Oh really how? Was it a conservative conspiracy? What are you trying to discuss? You’re not making a lick of sense.
[/quote]

I should not need to remind you that a conspiracy is a secret kept by 2 people. Having and affair with someone that is married is a conspiracy. Conspiracies happen every second of every day and non of the parties involved are wearing tin foil hats.

Domestic terrorist inspired by religion (Christianity) exist in this country but not to the same level that occurs in the middle east.

The middle east is a waste land and we could save ourselves a lot of time, money, and American lives by just nuking the entire region.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Citing the riots in LA just makes you look like a fool.

I threw out some names to get a discussion going…what is your excuse?

Oh really how? Was it a conservative conspiracy? What are you trying to discuss? You’re not making a lick of sense.

I should not need to remind you that a conspiracy is a secret kept by 2 people. Having and affair with someone that is married is a conspiracy. Conspiracies happen every second of every day and non of the parties involved are wearing tin foil hats.

Domestic terrorist inspired by religion (Christianity) exist in this country but not to the same level that occurs in the middle east.

The middle east is a waste land and we could save ourselves a lot of time, money, and American lives by just nuking the entire region.[/quote]

You are the king of the “straw man” What does any of that have to do with media bias. Your “argument” is meaningless.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Citing the riots in LA just makes you look like a fool.

I threw out some names to get a discussion going…what is your excuse?

Oh really how? Was it a conservative conspiracy? What are you trying to discuss? You’re not making a lick of sense.

I should not need to remind you that a conspiracy is a secret kept by 2 people. Having and affair with someone that is married is a conspiracy. Conspiracies happen every second of every day and non of the parties involved are wearing tin foil hats.

Domestic terrorist inspired by religion (Christianity) exist in this country but not to the same level that occurs in the middle east.

The middle east is a waste land and we could save ourselves a lot of time, money, and American lives by just nuking the entire region.

You are the king of the “straw man” What does any of that have to do with media bias. Your “argument” is meaningless.[/quote]

Just responding to your straw man-ing of this thread.

Giddy up.

At the most fundamental level the mass media is biased to those who own them, pure and simple. Forget labels like liberal and conservative - whatever they may be. The corporate media has virtually no interest in the public good unless it serves their interests. Arguing about liberal vs. conservative is a waste of time.