Media Bias in Election Reporting

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
ZEB wrote:
BB:

I heard about an article (I think it’s in the NY Times). Apparently a lead staffer for the Kerry camp actually phoned CBS, CNN, ABC and NBC and asked them not to declare Ohio for Bush as they thought they were going to win it.

Fox was not called (gee I wonder why) and NBC did call Ohio for Bush. The others followed in lock step behind the Kerry request.

Naaa the media isn’t biased…

Zeb:

Money quote:

“For much of Tuesday, campaign workers exuded confidence after surveys of voters leaving the polls showed Mr. Kerry with an edge over Mr. Bush. But as the night wore on, the real results told a different story. The critical moment came at 12:41 a.m. Wednesday, when, shortly after Florida had been painted red for Mr. Bush, Fox News declared that Ohio–and, very likely, the presidency–was in Republican hands. Howard Wolfson, a strategist, burst into the “boiler room” in Washington where the brain trust was huddled and said, “we have 30 seconds” to stop the other networks from following suit. The campaign’s pollster, Mark Mellman, and the renowned organizer Michael Whouley quickly dialed ABC, CBS, CNN and NBC–and all but the last refrained from calling the race through the night. Then Mr. Wolfson banged out a simple, two-line statement expressing confidence that Mr. Kerry would win Ohio once the remaining ballots were counted.”[/quote]

Thanks for locating the article BB!

One can only imagine the strange looks that would appear on the faces of the powers that be, at those networks, had a republican called and asked them to hold up on reporting the winner of a state!

There is so much liberal bias in the media it is evident to all…except liberals…

I completely think that a lot of people who consider themselves to be Democrats couldn’t vote for Kerry. I think they told their friends and family they did (and apparently the exit pollers as well, but they couldn’t actually do it.

Re: the Exit Polls:

Maybe it’s not just paranoid fantasy:

Those exit polls

My friend Howard Klein (the brilliant IP lawyer who handled my blog’s servicemark application) was a Republican election lawyer on duty in Nevada on Tuesday. He sends along an interesting email that may shed some light on those wildly inaccurate exit polls:

[Email excerpt] "There has been buzz about the bogus exit polling that was so obviously Kerry-biased.  While working as poll monitor lawyers in Las Vegas on Election Day, we noticed something odd that may be provide some clues to this phenomenon.

Outside one polling place, we noticed a stringer (a Frenchman!) working for a pool of several news organizations (CNN, ABC, Fox, MSNBC, etc.) who was doing some exit polling.  For most of the day he was frequently caucusing with the Democrat lawyer poll watcher and occasionally with some ACT people.  (I think they?re the Soros group.)  It was just all too chummy for objective reporting.  It occurred to my teammate that this might have been part of the bogus exit polling that was being disseminated throughout Election Day.

We didn?t have a chance to determine whether a similar situation obtained in many other Las Vegas polling places, and I wonder if this occurred in other states.  Someone should look into this.  Maybe you can ask about it in your blog?" [End email excerpt] 

Howard’s wish is my command. So, did anybody else see something similar?

[quote]I heard about an article (I think it’s in the NY Times). Apparently a lead staffer for the Kerry camp actually phoned CBS, CNN, ABC and NBC and asked them not to declare Ohio for Bush as they thought they were going to win it.

Fox was not called (gee I wonder why) and NBC did call Ohio for Bush. The others followed in lock step behind the Kerry request.[/quote]

It’s over Zeb. You can stop playing politics for the election any time now. I love the line about “lockstep”. That’s priceless.

How many polling stations were accepting new voters as 12:45, by the way? Wasn’t that the point of your whole comspiracy theory?

[quote]bkern wrote:
Libertarian candidate Badnarik and Green Party candidate Cobb both were arrested in St. Louis when they tried to go into the building to join the debate. Funny thing is that there was next to no media coverage on this. Wonder why that is. I consider it pretty significant. Maybe because they know that if either of these candidates were allowed to debate with Bush or Kerry they’d make them look like fools.[/quote]

Exactly

vroom:

Sometimes I think you just blindly type a post without reading the thread.

Take a look at, not just my posts, but the links posted by BB. After reading them please come back and post something that makes sense. Such as: “I have to admit there is some media bias toward the democratic candidates.”

If you can claim there is absolutely no media bias after reading all of the facts then you are either stupid (which I highly doubt) or a liberal!