T Nation

mechanism of steroid rehab

Hello

A subject that interests me

I’ve read alot (including in T-mag) that steroids promote recovery from certain injuries in incredible speeds, and that’s actualy their main usage in professional sports.
So…
What kind of injuries? (bone, tendon, ligament, disc herniation, muscle pull etc)
What kind of substances and whats the mechanism of action? providing links will also be apprecciated

Thanks

S.

this is news to me. the only thing close to this would be some of the masking effects some drugs have. such as deca relieving joint pain due to water retention. hgh is the only BB’ing chemical that i know of that has been reported to have healing properties in some cases.

Steroids can increase healing times radically. Not only do the anti-inflamitory qualities of some steroids work wonders- as most injuries will not heal until the inflamation subsides. In addition to this steroids increase calcium retention within the bones leading to osteoblasts outnumbering the osteclasts which result in quicker healing of fractures, Some steroids such as equipoise assist in strengthening tendons and ligaments, and GH is great for improving joint strength and repair. So there you have it steroids are miricle compounds, literally carreer saving substances that have allowed athletes to come back from injuries that would have otherwise been season-ending, they have kept athletes playing, and have lengthend their playing carreers. Oh yes- you wonder why hockey players can play into their 40’s now? probable some for of hrt is a big factor.

Drago, out of T-mag:

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/299ster2.html:

“One invaluable aspect of steroid use for professional athletes?and one to date not recognized by the media?is increased recovery from injuries during the season. In one example given to me by the interviewee, he pulled his semimembranosus (the most medial hamstring muscle on the back of the leg). As told to him by a physician, it was a partial tear. During the period after the injury, this athlete briefly increased his dosage of Oxandrin to 50 mg/d and experienced complete recovery in approximately 14 days. This injury, without drugs, would have kept an athlete off the field for six weeks and could have been season ending depending on the severity of the injury and possible reoccurrence. With steroids and daily rehabilitation he was running full speed with no hesitation on a leg that had previously exhibited torn muscle tissue. This was a serious injury.”

“Improved training tolerance and injury repair: Intense strength and/or endurance training programs may shift the anabolic to catabolic hormonal balance in a negative direction. Steroid use may counter these shifts (as indicated above). In addition, Testosterone may stimulate bone healing, therefore accelerating the recovery from sports related injuries.”

“There is much evidence, however, to support the use of GH and IGF-1 as means of increasing tendon strength or recovering from tendon/ligament injury. I have personally tried localized tendon injections of IGF-1 on several athletes with much success after they had been plagued with the same injury for a long time?sometimes several years.”

"Q:I have epichondylitus, commonly called tennis elbow, in my right elbow. As a result, any type of triceps extension exercise performed with free weights causes extreme pain. The only time it’s free from pain is when I do the occasional steroid cycle. I have heard that Deca, which I always include in my programs, is good for healing joint injuries. Is the Deca healing the elbow while I use it, or just masking the pain somehow?

Dr. Ken Kinakin

With the tricep extension, due to personal biomechanics and muscle insertions, it can be difficult to perform the exercise and even the lightest weight could cause pain. It has to do with leverages and the stress put on the joint and muscle attachments. You also probably have a pre-existing injury to the area that the extensions expose. So get the muscle, joint, and nerve checked to find out if there are any dysfunctions. Also, find an alternative exercise. Bill Pearl has 265 different tricep exercises in his book “Keys to the Inner Universe.”

In regard to anabolics helping injuries, I have also heard that, but there is no research or even strong theories that I am aware of that explain this. Some ideas include that anabolics stop the inflammatory process, increase the anabolic process, or alter the perception of pain at a neural level. We see this in the gym, but maybe it is time to get a research study out to explain this.

TC

I firmly believe that it helps heal the joint. But I don’t necessarily believe that only Deca has this effect. Studies during the fifties ? done almost exclusively in Europe ? seemed to indicate that steroids “clearly stimulate the synthesis of chondroitin sulfate in the connective tissue of healing bones.” While these experiments were done on chicks (little chickens ? not babes) and the situation was slightly different, steroids were found to stimulate cartilage growth.

Granted, your particular pain might have a different etiology, but given that steroids accelerate bone healing, skin healing (a dose of steroids double that of the normal dosage used for T replacement will heal a skin puncture wound much more quickly), I find it an easy deductive leap to assume that they’ll help with cartilage and tendon injuries, too.

Ian King

Deca is perhaps one of the few anabolics that will reduce joint pain. I believe it is masking the pain, but also I suspect that it has some healing powers. I can’t say why or how, though (can anyone?). This potential has only been referred to in literature in a limited way. One of these few references was in Duchaine’s underground drug book.

It would be great to see this perception investigated and taken seriously, so they can be used to heal (you know, the role that drugs often have but is overlooked because they are perceived as being socially and politically incorrect!). The only problem I see is when people often increase training loads while juicing and further the damage, thus negating the healing potential.

Either way, who cares? Use it and if it works great, but don’t push it too hard whilst using just because you can. And really, don’t accept the mainstream medical diagnosis. Get in contact with a good therapist (e.g. ART trained) and remove some of the pressure through the joint. You may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome."

great post guys. just another reason to keep juicing!