MEATS

I went to a place around here called The Meat House which had a very wide selection of meats: veal, venison, alligator, it seemed to have it all. I think I’m going to splurge for the 29.99/lb. Wagyu beef pretty soon as I’ve never had Kobe or anything similar. Is it as good as people say and worth the price? It got me thinking though - what’s your favorite? What have you tried? What’s your favorite cut, marinade, rub, etc…?

My go to is a NY strip - best bang for the buck in my opinion and it seems to be on special very frequently around here. Simple rub of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cinnamon and some Cheyenne pepper is my preference. a good solid sear but still medium rare.

Summer grilling is time for sirloin steak tips marinated in Frank’s Red Hot and Teriyaki sauce.

I had some moose burgers from a friend a while back and was floored by how delicious it was. Not what I expected at all. I’ve also heard horse meat is amazing but not sure if I would try it.

Why scared of horse meat? I can’t fathom why people will eat one herbivore but not another. Horses look healthier than most cattle anyway. I would not eat the meat of a scavenger, but everything else is good to go.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Why scared of horse meat? I can’t fathom why people will eat one herbivore but not another. Horses look healthier than most cattle anyway. I would not eat the meat of a scavenger, but everything else is good to go.[/quote]
It probably has to do with the fact that horses are beloved by a lot of people.

I’ve tried Kobe beef before. It’s not worth the ridiculous price. You can find some really good choice or prime beef if you look hard enough.

My favorite of course is the rib steak. The most flavorful steak in my opinion. Tri-tip roasts are up there for me too as being very flavorful.

Ribeye. A nice thick cut marbled ribeye. A little salt is all you need.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Ribeye. A nice thick cut marbled ribeye. A little salt is all you need.[/quote]

Maybe a little ground pepper but now I’m hungry for steak.

Ostrich is a great meat, very distinctive and flavoursome.
I’ve had warthog ribs as well, they were like a very smokey pork, but that may have been preparation.
Never had alligator, but crocodile is kinda disappointing imo, like chicken with the texture of prawns/shrimp.

Ive had bison and deer sausage before, both were great. Alligator jerky was thick but tasted like normal jerky. Lamb lamb is about the tastiest meat Ive had. Smells like burning hair and people whilst cooking doe.

Let me know where you can find some good Kobe in the States.

I’ve been using an organic mushroom rub my gf found at a health store on my steaks lately. It’s absolutely amazing and my son loves it, which is great because he’s a picky eater lately. I’ll try and get the brand later on so people can try it if they want.

Never pass up an opportunity to eat caribou. The best tasting wild game I have had bar none.

I had horse at a French restaurant in Africa and it was amazing. great texture and flavor. would definitely eat again.
love both gator tail and shark marinated in bourbon, cracked peppercorns, and thin slivers of jalapeno cooked on the grill. baste and lay the jalapeno on the meat as it gets the final sear.
hard to beat a hog slow cooked all night over a charcoal and wood fired pit while being attended to by a bunch of bourbon drinking expert chefs!

Alligator is some good eating. If cooked correctly it is flaky like a fish, but more meaty. If over cooked it get rubbery like a shoe.

I have had bison, caribou, venison, veal, pork, wild hog, cow, elk, and a few other red meats.

Costco has a great selection of Prime and Choice meats at pretty decent prices.

I like a good Ribeye or Porterhouse with Sea Salt, Pepper, Onion powder, and Garlic Powder. Blackened on both sides and medium rare in the middle.

I might have to go to Del Friscos this week.

I thought gator meat was just alright. I had it at a restaurant in burger form. I much prefer beef.

Bison is pretty good, but typically very lean so you can’t overcook or it will be tough.

I also want to add that marinating a good cut of beef pretty much ruins said good cut of beef. IMO, of course.

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
I went to a place around here called The Meat House which had a very wide selection of meats: veal, venison, alligator, it seemed to have it all. I think I’m going to splurge for the 29.99/lb. Wagyu beef pretty soon as I’ve never had Kobe or anything similar. Is it as good as people say and worth the price? It got me thinking though - what’s your favorite? What have you tried? What’s your favorite cut, marinade, rub, etc…?

My go to is a NY strip - best bang for the buck in my opinion and it seems to be on special very frequently around here. Simple rub of sea salt, fresh ground pepper, cinnamon and some Cheyenne pepper is my preference. a good solid sear but still medium rare.

Summer grilling is time for sirloin steak tips marinated in Frank’s Red Hot and Teriyaki sauce.

I had some moose burgers from a friend a while back and was floored by how delicious it was. Not what I expected at all. I’ve also heard horse meat is amazing but not sure if I would try it.[/quote]

I’ve had Kobe/Waygu a couple of times at different places. It’s really great if cooked well (not well done, but cooked by a chef that knows what he’s doing), but can be destroyed if not properly prepared. One place was seasoned lightly (just salt) and pan roasted to Rare/Mid-rare and was totally amazing. Another place cooked it western style over a mesquite wood grill and while cooked well, the Mesquite killed the flavor of the steak.

The main thing is Kobe/Waygu has a very delicate flavor that can be quickly destroyed by over flavoring. I’d skip the marinade, and just lightly season with salt and pepper (no cinnamon). if you throw too much at it you might as well just get a steak from your local chain grocery.

La’

Redsol1

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
Alligator is some good eating. If cooked correctly it is flaky like a fish, but more meaty. If over cooked it get rubbery like a shoe.

I like a good Ribeye or Porterhouse with Sea Salt, Pepper, Onion powder, and Garlic Powder. Blackened on both sides and medium rare in the middle.

I might have to go to Del Friscos this week.[/quote]

I agree with all of this, just substitute Bob’s for Del Friscos (personal preference).

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I also want to add that marinating a good cut of beef pretty much ruins said good cut of beef. IMO, of course.[/quote]

I would agree if the marinade is heavily spiced.

A simple olive oil and salt & pepper rub is all I do.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I agree with all of this, just substitute Bob’s for Del Friscos (personal preference). [/quote]

What is Bob’s?

There is a place in Atlanta called Bone’s which is incredible. Pat told me about it when I was in Atlanta. That steak melted in my mouth.

It is lunch time, and I am hungry. I was talking about peanut butter now I want a really good steak.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I agree with all of this, just substitute Bob’s for Del Friscos (personal preference). [/quote]

What is Bob’s?

There is a place in Atlanta called Bone’s which is incredible. Pat told me about it when I was in Atlanta. That steak melted in my mouth.

It is lunch time, and I am hungry. I was talking about peanut butter now I want a really good steak.
[/quote]

Bob’s Steak and Chop House, the original location on Lemmon Ave. in Dallas.

16 Oz. Filet; Brownie Sundae for desert. It will change your life.