Meatless Mondays

Thanks for alerting me about this issue.

Time to cross several colleges I’ve applied to off my list.

[quote]cct wrote:

Time to cross several colleges I’ve applied to off my list.[/quote]

If you read that website, it is very clear that this is a a move to push a vegan/environmentalist agenda on people. The justification for why “meatless” is straight out of the green nutjob playbook. So for those of you saying this isn’t the result of a liberal agenda, time to wake up.

In 3/4 of the dinning halls, meat or eggs was served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ‘Meatless Mondays’ at DLG amounted to a few posters thrown up around the hall. I didn’t hear anyone give them more than a glance or say more than a sentence about it. This is such a non-issue it’s ridiculous. Your personal preferences were completely unhindered. The fact is, at a California campus with a heavy emphasis on biology and ecology, most people are pretty receptive to ideas about environmentally friendly eating; which is what this is, they said nothing regarding the ethics of vegetarianism. I do applaud them for making the produce they supply almost entirely from local and organic sources.

Fortunately, we live in a society where people are entitled to their opinion, even on a liberal campus like ours. I’m sure the ecology professors would be more than welcome to discuss their thoughts on ‘Meatless Mondays’ with you, and listen to yours. You could also contact someone in the Dining Commons staff or administration and make a complaint about it. If you’re concerned about a larger liberal agenda (I am too), you’re free to join the Campus Republicans, you could have listened to Karl Rove’s excellent presentation last week (free to students in our largest lecture hall), or you can pursue some other form of political/school participation.

[quote]twisner wrote:
In 3/4 of the dinning halls, meat or eggs was served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. ‘Meatless Mondays’ at DLG amounted to a few posters thrown up around the hall. I didn’t hear anyone give them more than a glance or say more than a sentence about it. This is such a non-issue it’s ridiculous. Your personal preferences were completely unhindered. The fact is, at a California campus with a heavy emphasis on biology and ecology, most people are pretty receptive to ideas about environmentally friendly eating; which is what this is, they said nothing regarding the ethics of vegetarianism. I do applaud them for making the produce they supply almost entirely from local and organic sources.

Fortunately, we live in a society where people are entitled to their opinion, even on a liberal campus like ours. I’m sure the ecology professors would be more than welcome to discuss their thoughts on ‘Meatless Mondays’ with you, and listen to yours. You could also contact someone in the Dining Commons staff or administration and make a complaint about it. If you’re concerned about a larger liberal agenda (I am too), you’re free to join the Campus Republicans, you could have listened to Karl Rove’s excellent presentation last week (free to students in our largest lecture hall), or you can pursue some other form of political/school participation. [/quote]

Sigh. Let’s get this straight. DLG isn’t Carrillo. As I said earlier, meatless monday normally was just, “let’s make the main entrees vegan, but leave fake chinese food, cold cuts and grill stuff”. Had you actually taken the time to read what I had said, you would know that aside from looking online, which I had not done before, nor ever before had a reason to do so, I had no way of knowing, nor any reason to believe it was going to be a completely meatless monday at Carrillo until after swiping and entering.

And again, my point was not to decry the system as a whole, but rather that one experience I had.

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:

[quote]cct wrote:

Time to cross several colleges I’ve applied to off my list.[/quote]

If you read that website, it is very clear that this is a a move to push a vegan/environmentalist agenda on people. The justification for why “meatless” is straight out of the green nutjob playbook. So for those of you saying this isn’t the result of a liberal agenda, time to wake up. [/quote]

I did not realize it was a part of a larger movement…slightly terrifying. You’re welcome for alerting you.

HG Thrower, happy 1000th post! I skimmed the website a bit… dogmatic shall we say? Either way, everything they’re touting for meatless mondays is inapplicable to most of us.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I haven’t seen the contract, so I can’t really comment on the specifics. However, it is not the slightest bit unreasonable to expect that a state run university, receiving federal funding to operate, would adhere to the FDA Nutritional Guidelines, which, regardless of the fact that they need to be overhauled, still include an ESSENTIAL food group consisting of meat.

Also, it sounds like this is a new thing. How long has that dining hall been open? 20 years? 50 years? 100+ years? If you have a history of providing services one way, one can reasonably expect that those services will continue when entering into a contract.

Its not that difficult to comprehend.[/quote]

Mypyramid.gov now lumps meat, beans and nuts into one category, and states that vegetarian diets can meet all the recommendations for nutrients provided the variety and quantity is there.

My school has an “international” food day in one of the dining halls… maybe I should start bitching because they didn’t offer that 20 years ago and it would be too much of an inconvenience for me to walk to the other dining hall in order to avoid having to eat tacos and egg rolls?

Also, I am sure that the contract signed pertains to ALL the dining halls in question - not just the one most convenient for the OP. The other ones, apparently, were still business as usual on that particular day. I’m still failing to see the issue considering this apparently happened at the one dining place the OP happens to regularly attend, as well as the fact that it has now been established that he can check online (or even ask when he gets there!) in order to avoid this in the future.

FUCK. Now my school is doing Meatless Monday. We only have two dining halls and both are in! In all the papers or anything describing it, it even says that the College Democrats are sponsoring it!!! I’m a very tolerant - if not accepting - guy. I’m on the residential life staff and we’re all meant to be accepting of everybody’s gender/sexual orientation/race and (other life choices) to help freshmen transition to college, etc. And I believe this is a very good thing.

BUT I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN I CANT EAT FUCKING MEAT AFTER PAYING $13 FOR A REAL MEAL. IF I JUST WANTED SALAD AND PASTA, I’D GO BUY IT FOR $3!!! IM GOING TO BUY A WHOLE CHICKEN AND MOW IT IN THE DINING HALL AND LEAVE THE CARCASS OUT FOR ALL THE FUCKERS TO SEE

I normally wouldn’t bother to get into a stupid argument on the internet but I’ve gotta point out how much of a prick anonym is coming off as on this issue. The OP is having vegetarianism pushed on him. Nobody is saying anything bad about vegetarians, just that it’s their choice! Just as it should be non-veggies’ choice to not eat a veggie diet.

So why the f*ck is this choice being taken away? How much of a stink do you think they would kick up if meat were forced on them? Especially if they had already paid for the food they now find out contains something they refuse to eat! That would be a human rights issue. So how is this different?

P.S. This would never have happened under Schwarzenegger!

I’m guessing it’s really a budgetary thing disguised as a public service suggestion for health.

Veggies and carb foods have incredibly high profit margins. Eliminating meat from the menu will save the college money while still being able to justify a slow raise in yearly student food costs.

They do this bullshit at my son’s elementary school. I have to pay for his lunches, but 20% of the time his nutritional needs are not met to my standard. I bitched about it to his teacher, but she just shrugged it off and said that all of Arlington is doing it. It would be a monumental effort to fight it, though - and I can just give him meat when he comes home… But I really HATE the fact that these fucking vegetarian assholes (not calling ALL vegetarians assholes, just the ones behind this initiative) are forcing their lifestyle down our throats.

I may send off a few angry emails to the county. If I do, I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated.

[quote]gt8006b wrote:
Freebirds. Seriously dude, this shouldn’t be a problem.[/quote]
This, Freebirds solves all problems.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
They do this bullshit at my son’s elementary school. I have to pay for his lunches, but 20% of the time his nutritional needs are not met to my standard. I bitched about it to his teacher, but she just shrugged it off and said that all of Arlington is doing it. It would be a monumental effort to fight it, though - and I can just give him meat when he comes home… But I really HATE the fact that these fucking vegetarian assholes (not calling ALL vegetarians assholes, just the ones behind this initiative) are forcing their lifestyle down our throats.

I may send off a few angry emails to the county. If I do, I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated.[/quote]

AC if you really want to be scared then look up what kind of meat they are serving to our kids. Its half soy and half corn filler.

My advise pack his lunch, cheaper and better for him in the long run.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I may send off a few angry emails to the county. If I do, I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated.[/quote]

AC if you really want to be scared then look up what kind of meat they are serving to our kids. Its half soy and half corn filler.

My advise pack his lunch, cheaper and better for him in the long run. [/quote]

X2 on the lunch packing.

I packed my son’s lunch every day from 1st grade to 8th grade. The last 4 years of high school he wanted to buy the school lunches (steak sandwiches, burritos, etc). I don’t know what’s in those foods, but it can’t be as healthy as home food.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

My advise pack his lunch, cheaper and better for him in the long run. [/quote]

X2 on the lunch packing.

I packed my son’s lunch every day from 1st grade to 8th grade. The last 4 years of high school he wanted to buy the school lunches (steak sandwiches, burritos, etc). I don’t know what’s in those foods, but it can’t be as healthy as home food.
[/quote]

Its worse than McDonalds and Taco Bell combined. Its a fucking joke and shame what they feed our kids. We only pack and send lunches with the last two in the house. I pack my stepsons every night before I go to bed.

It’s meatless mondays here at UC San Diego. Still got a delicious breakfast burrito with sausage and bacon. So i’m not exactly sure what they mean by meatless

[quote]TD54 wrote:
.[/quote]

Human trials have begun.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:
.[/quote]

Human trials have begun. [/quote]

shiiiit

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:
Anyone else have this at their school/college?

I was planning on writing a long angry rant about this yesterday, but I calmed down. But it really really sucks. Completely ruined my lunch and made my squat day suck (it threw my ‘schedule’ off so that come time to squat heavy, I wasn’t confident I could really push it without an accident).

I don’t have (much of) a problem with vegetarians and vegetarianism in general, but the thing that peeves me the most about this is that vegetarianism, as a niche thing, should be accommodated and not forced upon us. Stupid liberal college trying too hard to be hip and pc…

I really just want to know if anyone else is sharing my pain.[/quote]

No, but my school does have Fish Friday, and I go between that and doing the fast program that T-Nation has.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
BCU…Bouncing Cocks University?[/quote]

Probably more like Boston College, or as a Bishop said Barely Catholic.