Meathead Camaraderie

[quote]Professor X wrote:
In my gym, all of the bigger or more developed guys seem to know each other. It really doesn’t matter if they are old or young, it is like you have something in common with those people…and you just know it when you see each other.

It isn’t about a certain size either…but more a look and a vibe you get from certain people.

This is why I train at certain gyms…because of the people and the atmosphere that brings.

Why is it in internet-land, that bond seems to not only be missing lately…but it seems some of the smaller or less developed have now developed some pretty strong attitudes that I even see in the gym lately?

There is a whole new breed of gym goer who hs no clue about gym ettiquette and some even seem to dispise those who worked to stand out from the norm.

How do we maintain that camaraderie in a public forum when it comes so easily face to face…and is lost so quickly once behind a computer screen?

[/quote]

I think the number 1 thing needs to be acceptance of individual goals all around. If someone wants to get big at all costs, cheer them on. If someone wants to be lean and balanced, cheer them on. If someone wants to get strong, cheer them on. As long as that person busts there ass to achieve their goal they should be considered a peer.

This forum routinely turns to shit when people cannot accept the fact that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

To X and the comment on vibe, from my experience it is not a size, or a degree of leanness etc. The common denominator always seems to be work ethic in the gym.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
It would be easy if everyone would observe one simple rule.[/quote]

Haha love it

[quote]Waittz wrote:

In my gym, all of the bigger or more developed guys seem to know each other. It really doesn’t matter if they are old or young, it is like you have something in common with those people…and you just know it when you see each other.

It isn’t about a certain size either…but more a look and a vibe you get from certain people.

This is why I train at certain gyms…because of the people and the atmosphere that brings.

Why is it in internet-land, that bond seems to not only be missing lately…but it seems some of the smaller or less developed have now developed some pretty strong attitudes that I even see in the gym lately?

There is a whole new breed of gym goer who hs no clue about gym ettiquette and some even seem to dispise those who worked to stand out from the norm.

How do we maintain that camaraderie in a public forum when it comes so easily face to face…and is lost so quickly once behind a computer screen?

[/quote]

I think the number 1 thing needs to be acceptance of individual goals all around. If someone wants to get big at all costs, cheer them on. If someone wants to be lean and balanced, cheer them on. If someone wants to get strong, cheer them on. As long as that person busts there ass to achieve their goal they should be considered a peer.

This forum routinely turns to shit when people cannot accept the fact that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

To X and the comment on vibe, from my experience it is not a size, or a degree of leanness etc. The common denominator always seems to be work ethic in the gym.[/quote]
I agree with this.
We all have different goals. Some of us want to be strong as a bull.
Some want to be ripped to shreds and some just want to be huge.
Not to mention the athletes and fighters on here as well.
To think that having any one of these goals is superior to the others is just being narrow minded.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I wouldn’t say the bond is missing here. Look at the multiple threads in BSL about making someone leaner or where the Vets are mentoring another member. Those threads are good. rds63799, for example, has really steped up in Stinger70s thread.

[/quote]

Lot’s of good stuff happening in this forum ^^^

[quote]florelius wrote:
My 2 cents regarding this:
Establish an atmosphere where everyone are welcomed and are treated with dignity and respect.

[/quote]

What does this mean?

Everyone isn’t a meathead…even thouh everyone may want to be around.

Don’t you lose the soul of what that is if “everyone” in internet land feels welcome?

[quote]florelius wrote:
Establish an atmosphere where everyone are welcomed and are treated with dignity and respect.

[/quote]

What does this mean?

Don’t you lose the soul of what that is if “everyone” in internet land feels welcome?[/quote]

This sounds elitist as fuck… sorry…

[quote]florelius wrote:
@ MRzsasz. I was thinking more in line what could help this forum.

I will argue though that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their development and that it is possible too give people constructive critisism and still be treating them in a classy manner.

[/quote]

There is a huge difference between “respecting” someone’s right to be a human being…and respecting what they say when it comes to a specified subject they are not knowledgeable in.

What should be respected is that we all may ahve different goals…but real meatheads do NOT let everyone in. They never have.

Everyone twirling a 12lb dumbbell isn’t a meahead and can bring the place down.

In a real gym, you don’t often see the people reading books on the leg equipment joking around with the huge guys slinging 150lbs dumbbells.

To develop a bit more

I think that the difference between in a gym and on the internet is that in a gym you can just “ignore” the guys you dont “like” (them or their goals or their level of development or their method of training or whatever) and thus just not care about them… and just chill with those you feel you have similarties with training wise goal wise whatever

On the web well you end up being “confronted” with all sort of individuals, that you would probably just ignore irl. Thing is its harder to ignore someone or something when his opinion is put right in front of your eyes… And then well obviously if some people dont feel welcomed by a group or a person or a clique or whatever shit will obviously blow up

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?

Don’t you lose the soul of what that is if “everyone” in internet land feels welcome?[/quote]

[/quote]

Aren’t most of the people here to some degree?

No offense, but would you marry a morbidly obese woman, Zraw?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I wouldn’t say the bond is missing here. Look at the multiple threads in BSL about making someone leaner or where the Vets are mentoring another member. Those threads are good. rds63799, for example, has really steped up in Stinger70s thread.
[/quote]

Part of my reasons for wanting to be bigger/strong/leaner are to fit in with this ‘camaraderie’ that the prof speaks of. That may seem kind of retarded to some, but let me try and explain. I’ve watched bodybuilders at my gym for months and i kind of look at them with a sense of understanding and common ground, unlike the guys who are in there to have a chat and flex their abs in the mirror. I know what they are doing, and every time i overhear their conversations on diet or training i know what they are talking about.

Lets be honest, that common ground and understanding doesnt get returned until you LOOK like you know what you are talking about. I’m just the scrawny guy that is there same time every week pulling deadlifts with double the effort of everyone else in the gym. Honestly, i’m surprised none of these big guys have sparked up a conversation relating to how im doing the same shit as them and not bro-ing out like the other lifters. Or maybe offered some pointers.

Instead i am recognised and respected by the “above average” crowd, they can see im there to train hard and i’ve had a couple ask me for a spot and tell me i had good form on the lift i was doing or whatever. But i think there is an attitude among a lot of the biggest guys where unless someone is their size, they don’t qualify for the gym camaraderie, and that is something that i always crave when i see those pictures from pumping iron. So professor X, if you ever see me in a gym come and talk to me i might just know what you are talking about and be able to relate, looks can be deceiving!

[quote]florelius wrote:
@ MRzsasz. I was thinking more in line what could help this forum.

I will argue though that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their development and that it is possible too give people constructive critisism and still be treating them in a classy manner.

[/quote]

There is a huge difference between “respecting” someone’s right to be a human being…and respecting what they say when it comes to a specified subject they are not knowledgeable in.

What should be respected is that we all may ahve different goals…but real meatheads do NOT let everyone in. They never have.

Everyone twirling a 12lb dumbbell isn’t a meahead and can bring the place down.

In a real gym, you don’t often see the people reading books on the leg equipment joking around with the huge guys slinging 150lbs dumbbells.[/quote]

Tnation isnt a real gym… its a website made to cather to A LOT of different crowds… im not sure what you are trying to say here to be honest

Would you want the “non meatheads” to shut the f up and not discuss any subjects brought by “meatheads” cause irl they wouldnt even “have the chance” of talking to these big guys?

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?

[/quote]

No offense, but would you marry a morbidly obese woman, Zraw?[/quote]

Wouldnt even talk to one to be honest. I dont like people that dont respect themselves and their bodies.

I explained my point further. Unless there were like 20 subforums for all different “training clique” then everyone just has to deal with the fact that others groups are gonna take part in every discussion

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?

[/quote]

Have to agree, I’m afraid.

From Merriam Webster: ca·ma·ra·de·rie noun: “spirit of friendly good fellowship.”

Good fellowship starts with making people feel welcome and respected. Hard to argue with that.

If your argument is: why is there not more camaraderie among elite posters (meatheads, I presume, I obviously cannot say.

If your question is why aren’t you, personally, in your role as an established meathead on T-Nation, respected more and treated with a greater sense of camaraderie, I think you have already formed a well-entrenched opinion on that issue and there’s really no reason to discuss it unless you are eager for more poop-flinging.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?

[/quote]

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

What does this mean?

[/quote]

that’s more just sexual preference than any form of elitism.

[quote]zraw wrote:

Wouldnt even talk to one to be honest. I dont like people that dont respect themselves and their bodies.
[/quote]

…which would be called “elitist” by many people…which is what many of us are if we admit it or not.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

Have to agree, I’m afraid.

From Merriam Webster: caÃ?·maÃ?·raÃ?·deÃ?·rie noun: “spirit of friendly good fellowship.”

Good fellowship starts with making people feel welcome and respected. Hard to argue with that.
[/quote]

No, good fellowship comes from meeting on COMMON GROUND…which requires some understanding of the effort to be there.

[quote]
If your argument is: why is there not more camaraderie among elite posters (meatheads, I presume, I obviously cannot say. [/quote]

That is not my argument.

[quote]

If your question is why aren’t you, personally, in your role as an established meathead on T-Nation, respected more and treated with a greater sense of camaraderie, I think you have already formed a well-entrenched opinion on that issue and there’s really no reason to discuss it unless you are eager for more poop-flinging. [/quote]

?? If you make this thread about me, it is your own doing.

If zraw can write he wouldn’t even talk to an obese woman and NOT be seen as elitist, smething is wrong.

[quote]zraw wrote:

[/quote]

…which would be called “elitist” by many people…which is what many of us are if we admit it or not.[/quote]

Is ‘elitist’ supposed to be an insult? To be honest the general population is fat, stupid, lazy and worthless. I am kind of proud to be an elitist.

[quote]Waittz wrote:
The common denominator always seems to be work ethic in the gym.[/quote]

and can you do a true parallel squat?

[quote]zraw wrote:

Tnation isnt a real gym.[/quote]

The whole thread was making a comparison and asking a question. It is understood that T-Nation is not a real gym.

[quote]

. its a website made to cather to A LOT of different crowds… im not sure what you are trying to say here to be honest

Would you want the “non meatheads” to shut the f up and not discuss any subjects brought by “meatheads” cause irl they wouldnt even “have the chance” of talking to these big guys?[/quote]

I didn’t say any of this. Why would a meathead not speak to someone? It is strange some of you show that seperatism from others daily but now claim someone is “elitist” if they dare dicuss ways to bring those with common goals together.