T Nation

Meat Stick

All right, t-nationers. I’m on the run frequently and I’m looking for the best high-protein meat stick options that I can buy. Berardi did a review of ProLean markets Smoked Emu Snack Stick back in a 2002 article of stuff we like. Unfortunately, I can’t find this vendor on the web anywhere. I’m looking for alternative high protein, low fat meat sticks that I can get the best bang for my buck.

The best option I’ve found online so far is the Ostrim (Ostrich) meat stick which has 13 grams of protein, 1.5 grams of fat, under 3 grams of carbs. I would rather find even higher protein sticks but if worst comes to worst, I will just eat 2 or 3 of these at a time.

The thing that is frustrating is that many mid-west vendors sell meat sticks online but they either don’t show nutritional value so you have no idea how much protein is in the stick or if they show nutritional value they have a paltry 4 grams of protein per stick. Any recommendations?

Hey man…

Try JACK LINK’s beef jerky. It comes in 3-4 diff. flavors. The large size has somewhere around 20-25g protein and very little fat. I’m not looking at one right now so not sure of the exact figures, but I use them all the time.

You can just do a search and find several places that sell them by the box on the internet. I just get them at the grocery store, so you might check there too.

Hope that helps.
later.

I get beef jerky now. But I don’t want to have to eat a whole bag to get 25 + grams of protein. It takes too long when I’m on the run. I’m looking for thick meaty sticks that pack a lot of protein which make it more convenient to eat. When you say large size do you mean 25 g per stick or bag? Also, I’m pretty picky about the nutritional break down. I don’t want lots of added sugar carb crap, fat, etc.

A 1.5 ounce serving of Jack Linck’s Beef Jerky has 15 grams of protein. If you were to get a bag and want 25 grams of protein, you’d get 3+ servings per bag. Even though the sodium content’s rather high, it’s pretty handy (and tasty to boot). Being in college, I throw some mixed nuts in with the jerky and keep it in my pocket if I’m going out with some buddies. It beats telling them that I need to go home and eat a chicken breast.

What do you guys think of OS-Trim ostrich sticks?

In my opinion, all the processed “meat sticks” are definitely worse than home-made, high quality meat.

You can actually make “MEAT STICK” with f-r-e-s-h turkey and seasoning and eat it cold. Why can’t you take roasted chicken or beef in packages and eat it? I mean it’s easy, and it doesn’t have to take so much time for prepare.

F&F

[quote]fast&furious wrote:
In my opinion, all the processed “meat sticks” are definitely worse than home-made, high quality meat.

You can actually make “MEAT STICK” with f-r-e-s-h turkey and seasoning and eat it cold. Why can’t you take roasted chicken or beef in packages and eat it? I mean it’s easy, and it doesn’t have to take so much time for prepare.

F&F[/quote]

I agree this would be better but this suggestion requires refigeration. When I’m traveling this is not an option. Come on folks, no one else has this need out there? Maybe I should make my own “meat sticks” at home. I don’t know.

The more I think about it…why not just make jerky myself. So let me switch gears here. Anyone know of a good food dehydrator that they would recommend?

When I saw the title I thought I’d be clicking into the sex forum…

However, on the other ummm, hand, I guess, a jerky maker is a great idea. Maybe I should get myself one for a late Christmas present.

Good idea…

[quote]randman wrote:
The more I think about it…why not just make jerky myself. So let me switch gears here. Anyone know of a good food dehydrator that they would recommend?[/quote]

The web is full of good info on making jerkey. Been doing some research myself on this very matter…

Here are two sites with info. On the second link, go back to the main page and look for the discussion section. They had some good discussions on dehydrators also.

http://www.texascooking.com/print_features2.htm
http://www.greatjerky.com/beefjerkyrecipes.html

Man,

I’m not a big fan of anything that has been processed to hell and back.

Find a buffalo rancher in your area and start eating bison.

It’s lean and damn yummy. I cook it a couple pounds of steaks/meat at a time.

Bison’s the best.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
Man,

I’m not a big fan of anything that has been processed to hell and back.

Find a buffalo rancher in your area and start eating bison.

It’s lean and damn yummy. I cook it a couple pounds of steaks/meat at a time. [/quote]

Maybe if I was in Ohio, but I’m in California.

Buffalo jerky:

http://www.buybuffalomeat.com/buffalo_jerky.htm

http://www.scenicmesa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=SMR/CTGY/Jerky

Ostrich jerky:

http://www.dublinstore.com/products/ostrich.html (30 varieties of jerky)

http://store.yahoo.com/yankeefarmersmarket/venisonmeat.html (also veninson jerky)

Jerky… Yum!

Oh, just re-read your post - sorry, but those links don’t have nutritional info – but the jerky is tasty. I’m sure you could get info if you called the vendors though.

I’m from a rural town where Huhin’ (hunting, to the non-hick,) is huge, so deer meat is fairly easy to come by (or hit with your car).
Try venison. It’s pretty yummy- slightly gamy but rather beef-like and not too bad with fat.
This site has a breakdown of venison and some links to vendors.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s069v.html
What did we do before Google?

wow. Beef jerky is the best, but it is so expensive. Making it on your own seems like a good idea. Any advice on dehydrators? or any other recipes?

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Oh, just re-read your post - sorry, but those links don’t have nutritional info – but the jerky is tasty. I’m sure you could get info if you called the vendors though.[/quote]

Actually, you found the one online vendor who actually has meat sticks, not little pieces of beef jerky. Thanks.

[quote]vvsonikvv wrote:
wow. Beef jerky is the best, but it is so expensive. Making it on your own seems like a good idea. Any advice on dehydrators? or any other recipes?[/quote]

I’ve done my research and this is the way I’ve decided to go. Make my own. It’s cheaper, healthier, and I’m in control of the ingredients. I read some other bb forums online and there was a lot of good feedback on the dehydrator that Walmart carries. It’s a Nesco model and is only $39.99. I went ahead and bought the jerky gun kit as well so I can use lean ground beef to make jerky (much easier).

I bought my lean ground meat (98% lean, yahoo) at Von’s. I just had to call the meat department in advance and the had some extra lean ground beef frozen in the back. I had them cut off 4 lbs for me so I’m waiting for it to defrost and by tomorrow I’m going to make my first batch. I will let you all know how it goes when I’m finished. I’m excited. Healthy, portable protein on the road, yahoo!

how did the jerky come out?

i think im about to get that nesco dehydrator from walmart and one of the jerky guns and start making my own. It seems theres a huge initial investment, $40 for dehydrator $20 for gun. Then you always have to buy seasoning and meat… How long would it take to make up for costs in beef jerky from sam’s club?

but either way it sounds good. What recipe did you use?