Meat Increases Prostate Cancer Risk?

Am I the only one who read this today?

The idea is that high levels of IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1) increases the risk of cancer.

Yet here at T-Nation we are constantly looking for ways to increase our IGF-1, through diet or through training (since it also promotes muscle growth). Looks like there’s an evil side to IGF-1…

What’s your take on this guys?

I’m not worried. According to modern medical science recently published in Newsweek, the fact that I eat more than 2.17 eggs per week will kill me long before I have the chance to develop prostate cancer.

1 Like

I’ll assume a few things without even reading the article because i’m honestly sick of the anti-fat anti-meat anti-protein propaganda that has been fucking spewed out of academics and government institutions since the 1970’s:

1. the heavy meat-eaters also ate lots of refined grains, simple carbs and sodium

2. the heavy meat-eaters had low fiber intake

3. the heavy meat-eaters had low fruit/veggie intake

4. the heavy meat-eaters had inadequate fitness/exercise

From what i’ve read and experienced the past few years of reading and lifting seriously i’ve realized that the only way you grow muscle is to DAMAGE YOUR BODY

Does the body like very high intake of saturated fat and animal protein ? considering our horrible industrial farms these days i’ll guess probably not

But it’s all about balance and sacrifice, some aspects of health like omega-3 intake happen to be beneficial to both general health and muscle growth but there are other areas that do not overlap

As i said in another post these scientists (i come from a university academic research setting so i have an idea what goes on) only seem to look at extremes (scientists need to make concise conclusions) just like the public does. Either you are a 120 lb malnourished vegan with 20 gram per day protein intake or you are a morbidly obese 300 lb couch potato that eats kilograms of beef and can have a heart attack at any moment

I eat up to 12 eggs and 1b of ground beef per day, along with cheese, olive oil and nuts/seeds/butter which means my fat calorie intake is over 50% yet i feel and look better than i ever did on a moderate-high carb diet.

Why ? because i balance every meal with a larger mass of anti-inflammatory (olive oil is also very anti-inflammatory) foods including veggies

The way i see it is do you want to play it safe and have half-assed health and well-being for 70+ years or do you want to feel and look great for 50+ years ? i’ll take the former because i see no point of suffering through very old age

[quote]Mike84 wrote:
Am I the only one who read this today?

The idea is that high levels of IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1) increases the risk of cancer.

Yet here at T-Nation we are constantly looking for ways to increase our IGF-1, through diet or through training (since it also promotes muscle growth). Looks like there’s an evil side to IGF-1…

What’s your take on this guys?[/quote]

Makes sense that IGF-1 would be involved in cancer growth, at some level cell production is cell production. Cancer in almost every case, other than those related to specific toxic or infectious agents, is the result of numerous factors acting in concert. Genetics, diet, environment etc. When mass media single out this sort of information, without talking about the broader science, it seems to just muddy the issue. I’m going to go eat some steak now.

Offset it by masturbating.

No, I’m not kidding.

[quote]Mike84 wrote:Yet here at T-Nation we are constantly looking for ways to increase our IGF-1, through diet or through training (since it also promotes muscle growth). Looks like there’s an evil side to IGF-1…
[/quote]

Nearly any gene involved in growth or development in the right context can be cancer promoting, its just the nature of the human body. The important take away message from that article is the following statement:

“Lead researcher Dr Andrew Roddam said the degree to which diet influenced IGF-1 levels was unclear.”

No need to for concern.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

“Lead researcher Dr Andrew Roddam said the degree to which diet influenced IGF-1 levels was unclear.”

No need to for concern.[/quote]

Is the alarmist headline really necessary given this? God I hate the media.

Having a prostate increases your risk of postate cancer significantly.

Seriously tho- What science knows about the human body over a lifetime is very nil. Too much water causes death - but without it we can’t live. Be smart and enjoy life.

Hank