T Nation

Meanwhile... Is the Globe Cooling?

Monty Python theme music

…and now for something completely different.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:
Monty Python theme music

…and now for something completely different.

http://pajamasmedia.com/michaelledeen/2008/10/22/global-cooling/[/quote]

'THERE is very important climatic change going on right now, and it’s not merely something of academic interest. It is something that, if it continues, will affect the whole human occupation of the earth - like a billion people starving. The effects are already showing up in a rather drastic way."

That apocalyptic warning was conveyed in an article in Fortune magazine in 1974, on the alarming phenomenon of global cooling and an imminent new Ice Age, The American Institute of Physics subsequently awarded the magazine a Science Writing Award. So much for expert and media opinion on climate change.

I’m still rooting for global warming. I hate winters.

I’m praying that global cooling, or even a mini ice age, will humiliate Al Gore, and other manbearpig nutjobs.

Global cooling is global warming sneaking through the backdoor. Mark my words. Just when you’ve stocked up on parkas and snowshoes-Kablooie!-the climate will become super heated. And there you are, stuck without a single pair of shorts (because you traded them in for huskies and a sled).

I believe it has to do with solar cycles. Apparently over the past 15-20 years or something, the sun has had a very active solar surface. After these decade plus long hot periods the sun goes through a period of almost no activity on the surface, which results in a solar sytem that is cooling.

This is only one aspect of it though Though world temperatures overall have cooled slightly over the past year or two, there may have been sufficient icecap melt so that the oceans effectively absorb just enough more energy to continue to melt the ice caps. Think of a black Garbage bag out in the sun next to a white one. The black one absorbs all the energy, while the white one reflects it back into space.

When there is sufficient Ice cover on the poles, energy from the sun is bounced back into space, thus regulating the climate. When there is water not ice up there, the water absorbs much more solar energy, and thus warms the water temperature around the globe. This causes bigger storms to blow and more energy gets transferred from the oceans into the air, thus increasing air temperatures as well.

Or something along those lines.

V

[quote]malonetd wrote:
I’m still rooting for global warming. I hate winters.[/quote]

Word.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Global cooling is global warming sneaking through the backdoor. Mark my words. Just when you’ve stocked up on parkas and snowshoes-Kablooie!-the climate will become super heated. And there you are, stuck without a single pair of shorts (because you traded them in for huskies and a sled).[/quote]

You just finished watching The Day After Tomorrow didn’t you?

Or “Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow”?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/908/

[quote]malonetd wrote:
I’m still rooting for global warming. I hate winters.[/quote]

I am with you there…Warm it up, fuck cold weather.

Hmm, the Earth temp. peaked in 98 when the sun activity did, coincidence?

I think it’s hilarious that over the past decade the earth has been cooling, right in the face of all the “Gore climate models”. According to their models, temperatures should have been going through the roof this decade… ops. Maybe it’s a unit conversion thing.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
'THERE is very important climatic change going on right now, and it’s not merely something of academic interest. It is something that, if it continues, will affect the whole human occupation of the earth - like a billion people starving. The effects are already showing up in a rather drastic way."

That apocalyptic warning was conveyed in an article in Fortune magazine in 1974, on the alarming phenomenon of global cooling and an imminent new Ice Age, The American Institute of Physics subsequently awarded the magazine a Science Writing Award. So much for expert and media opinion on climate change.[/quote]

Those scientists must not have consulted with Al Gore before writing that. Shame on them! Don’t they know that Al decides if the earth is getting warmer or cooler, not science?

Winter fucking sucks!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Winter fucking sucks![/quote]

Snowmobiling and ice fishing. are you guys insane…winter rocks.

Pulling the kids around in the sled through knee deep snow is insane GPP as well.

If we’re not careful this thread could quite easily turn into a Al Gore derision thread…

[quote]Vegita wrote:
I believe it has to do with solar cycles. Apparently over the past 15-20 years or something, the sun has had a very active solar surface. After these decade plus long hot periods the sun goes through a period of almost no activity on the surface, which results in a solar sytem that is cooling.

This is only one aspect of it though Though world temperatures overall have cooled slightly over the past year or two, there may have been sufficient icecap melt so that the oceans effectively absorb just enough more energy to continue to melt the ice caps. Think of a black Garbage bag out in the sun next to a white one. The black one absorbs all the energy, while the white one reflects it back into space.

When there is sufficient Ice cover on the poles, energy from the sun is bounced back into space, thus regulating the climate. When there is water not ice up there, the water absorbs much more solar energy, and thus warms the water temperature around the globe. This causes bigger storms to blow and more energy gets transferred from the oceans into the air, thus increasing air temperatures as well.

Or something along those lines.

V[/quote]

If there has been ice cap melt why have sea levels not risen?

[quote]JamFly wrote:
Vegita wrote:
I believe it has to do with solar cycles. Apparently over the past 15-20 years or something, the sun has had a very active solar surface. After these decade plus long hot periods the sun goes through a period of almost no activity on the surface, which results in a solar sytem that is cooling.

This is only one aspect of it though Though world temperatures overall have cooled slightly over the past year or two, there may have been sufficient icecap melt so that the oceans effectively absorb just enough more energy to continue to melt the ice caps. Think of a black Garbage bag out in the sun next to a white one. The black one absorbs all the energy, while the white one reflects it back into space.

When there is sufficient Ice cover on the poles, energy from the sun is bounced back into space, thus regulating the climate. When there is water not ice up there, the water absorbs much more solar energy, and thus warms the water temperature around the globe. This causes bigger storms to blow and more energy gets transferred from the oceans into the air, thus increasing air temperatures as well.

Or something along those lines.

V

If there has been ice cap melt why have sea levels not risen?[/quote]

If you fill a glass with ice and water, does it overflow when the ice melts?

I believe their argument was land based ice melting. I don’t beleive that is happening in great measure. There are areas that have much more ice than anyone recalls or has been documented.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Winter fucking sucks!

Snowmobiling and ice fishing. are you guys insane…winter rocks.

Pulling the kids around in the sled through knee deep snow is insane GPP as well.[/quote]

Yeah, well…

It still sucks. Driving around on dirty salty roads until mid-May and putting up with these MN passive aggressive dick-holes sucks too.

Show me some fucking global warming, Al “the sky is falling” Gore!

The last time I read a report on the actual amount of ice at the poles was last April (yes it’s been a while), and there was more ice in that month than any other April since they started recording.