T Nation

Meals Inspired by Scrawny to Brawny

Based on various factors and calculations (such as RMR, TEF, NEAT, bf % etc), I’ve determined these are my caloric needs:

Non workout days: 2922 kcal
Workout days: 3557 kcals

Here is what my diet looks like from my research:

7:45 AM

Protein/Carb drink:
56 g Maltoodextrin
28 g hydrolyzed whey
5 g BCAA
3 g Glutamine
5 g Phenylalaline

Total Calories: 336

8:00 AM

Workout (1-1.5 hrs intense lifting)
I will be sipping the same drink between workouts.

9:30 AM

Post workout
I will be drinking the same drink after workout.

11:30 AM

1.) Omelet comprising of 6 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 4 oz turkey ham, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 onion, 1 slice fat free cheese, cooked in vegetable oil.
2.) 1 Banana
3.) 2 fish oil caps

Calories: 695
Protein: 71 g
Carb: 62.4g
Fat: 16g

1:30 PM

Chicken fried rice:

Calories: 770
Protein: 74g
Carbs: 84g
Fat: 14g

4:30 PM

2 Tuna burgers:

Calories: 475
Protein: 63
Carb:14
Fat: 41.6

7:00

Brocolli beef stir fry

Calories: 487
Protein: 53
Carb: 20
Fat: 49.71

10:00

Lamb kebabs

Calories: 557
Protein: 44
Carb: 20
Fat: 74.24

So what do you guys think? I took an awefully lot of time making this plan, so I REALLY value your constructive advice. Tear it apart as you see appropriate.

Somebody please critique I really value your advice.

1 Like

So you have 3 of those 336kc shakes in the morning?

Looks solid (assuming you’re not really tall, then you would need more calories) from what I can see. I would be tempted to add some good oils to every meal that can take it. (ie add extra macadamia/olive/coconut oil to the fried rice)

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
So you have 3 of those 336kc shakes in the morning?

Looks solid (assuming you’re not really tall, then you would need more calories) from what I can see. I would be tempted to add some good oils to every meal that can take it. (ie add extra macadamia/olive/coconut oil to the fried rice)[/quote]

Yes, according to Berardi, I should take a shake 15 minutes before working and during workout (he calls it the energy phase), and this shake must have a 2:1 carb to protein ratio. The “anabolic phase” begins right after workout and he recommends that I consume one immediately after workout. This is just for workout days, though.

btw, I’m 5ft 5 currently.

Most of the fats being consumed in the meal plan are healthy fats, such as MUFA, PUFA, omega-3, and omega-8.

Should I up the carbs?

Thanks!

Bump

What are your goals?

Looks like a fairly solid plan to me, you have your bases covered

1. Nutritient Timing
  2. Nutrient Quality
  3. Sufficient Energy
  4. Appropriate supplementation

To nitpick, I would probably ditch the glutamine and phenylananie and replace with some extra BCAA or Leucine and creatine, increase the fish oil to 6 caps or so per day and replace the vegetable oil for a cooking oil with a high smoke point, such as coconut oil or macademia oil (for health reasons).

Use this plan as your base, get going, and monitor your progress consistently and objectively. Your attention to detail and perfectionist tendency is admirable, however, please do not let this hold you back. Sometimes we can make the mistake of trying to do too many things right first time when all we need to do is get going.

Templates are a great tool to use initially as they provide you with a framework from which to work from. After a little time and experimentation, you will intuitively pick up what works and what does not, if you remain objective.

I think one the main things that Dr Berardi recommends is to start today, so, you have your plan, have you eaten your food yet?

Thanks guys, I’m going grocerry shopping today!

Should I lower the fat, or is it ok as it is? I was trying to get a 1:1 protein to fat ratio for my last three meals.

Should I also take casein before bed, or is that overkill?

[quote]Machina wrote:
Thanks guys, I’m going grocerry shopping today!

Should I lower the fat, or is it ok as it is? I was trying to get a 1:1 protein to fat ratio for my last three meals.

Should I also take casein before bed, or is that overkill?

[/quote]

Personally, casein pre-bed would depend on how long since the last feeding, even then you could always smash down some PB+CC or variants of.

I would avoid the maltodextrin on non-workout days, and even on a workout day, I personally wouldn’t want 150g of sugar within 3-4 hours. A good MRP, (I think Metabolic Drive from here is one, I’m in the uk so am not too hot on heavy/bulky Biotest stuff) would be better in some situations.

Are my carbs ok? Should I lower the fat content?

Thanks everyone!

Anyone?

You do not need that much Maltodextrine. I would think 75-100 grams total would be the max, and even many people find that’s too much. (I get 60 total) Also, drop it on non-lifting days. Perhaps oats for that first shake of the morning?

Fat content looks good.

I’d switch the 11:30 and 1:30 meal. Plus I’m not really sure how you get 64 carbs from a half a pepper and a banana.

Drop the glutamine for cutting and Phenylalaline is probably too advanced and/or unnecessary for the future.

BUt this is the key here. Do not be afraid to add and switch out other foods. And it doesn’t have to be overly precise (assuming you’re not in precontest mode). This is a lifestyle and while it’s certainly admirable you’re trying to perfect your plans, realize that extras (ie phenylalaline) aren’t really that significant and that you can burn yourself out overthinking it.

Good luck